Skip to main content
Topic: Magnetic Tow Lights (Read 436 times) previous topic - next topic

Magnetic Tow Lights

We hang a couple of bikes off the back end of the toad. With the cover on the bikes the toad tail lights are not visible so I started using a set of those magnetic deals (photo). They kept falling off so I glued them to the roof. I got rid of that toad and of course the lights went with it. (I wonder if that guy ever managed to get them off the roof?). Anyhow, anyone uding these that actually stay on the toad? If so, what kind? Thanks.
jor

Re: Magnetic Tow Lights

Reply #1
A friend uses these.
Magnetic Tow Lights SKU #53200 for .04 by CURT Manufacturing
John
John and Stacey Smith
Motorcade NO: 11973
1997 U295 CSGI 40'..Build No. 5036     
920 Watts on the roof..CAT Power w/fuel Inj. Programmer
2021 GMC Sierra AT4 1500
EX..2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Ex 1990 U280 RSAI 36'..Build No. 3638

Reply #3
We use HF's magnetic lights on our RAV4. Works well as long as you identify left and right.  :)

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #4
We've used the HF ones for years now. Make sure they are flat on the car body and I tie them to the roof rack with the excess wire. I've lost one that came off. I replaced them with the LED version, they are much brighter.
Cheers Ric  8)
Previously:'66 VW Bus"Turtle 1";'65 VW Riviera Camper "Turtle 2";
';'91 VW Syncro Camper"Syn";'92 Barth 30' -"The Big Easy"
Currently: 2000 FT U270 40', #5634 -
"Le Bons Temps"; 2003 CRV
Ric & Leslie
"Laissez les bons temps rouler!"

Reply #5
Went with T-man's suggestion. I've tried the Harbor Freight ones. I had trouble with them falling off (weak magnets) and they fell apart after two years (plastic in the Arizona sun I guess). Anyhow, I'm going to rig these so I can unplug them at the back and remove them. Also, they answer Pierce's cautionary note!
jor

Reply #6
Went with T-man's suggestion. I've tried the Harbor Freight ones. I had trouble with them falling off (weak magnets) and they fell apart after two years (plastic in the Arizona sun I guess). Anyhow, I'm going to rig these so I can unplug them at the back and remove them. Also, they answer Pierce's cautionary note!
jor
Excellent idea! I left the wires across the car's hood but the constant turbulence made a few marks across the hood. I started routing the wires under the hood, through the windows and then up to the roof from the back hatch. Best like Jor says to run wires front to back and then make plugs for installation. I don't want to use the car's wiring. Magnets have been OK. LEDs are much brighter than bulbs and don't burn/vibrate out.

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)