Skip to main content
Topic: Atwood furnace Fan Screech (Read 1046 times) previous topic - next topic

Atwood furnace Fan Screech

Atwood propane furnace in 99 U270 has developed a screech that comes and goes, is from a small noise to a lot of noise. It's a bit cold here to be pulling it out and after reading old posts i am assuming I have to pull it out to oil the bearings if that will give a temporary repair?
Is that correct?
Thanks
David
David & Emma Roche
Dino (Golden Doodle)
1999 U270 WTFE 36' Build # 5534
Xtreme "Lights, Stripes & Roof"
Motorcade# 18321
Dayton, Ohio
Towd: Jeep Grand Cherokee
Two Townie Electra Bikes

Life is made to enjoy, the Foretravel helps!

Re: Atwood furnace Fan Screech

Reply #1
It is likely the motor rather than the fan. The only real repair is to replace the motor. they are inexpensive and the job isn't bad. Sometimes the screeching will go away for awhile.
jor

Reply #2
Thanks, it has done the screech a few times over the last 4 months for a second and not repeated itself so did not pay it much attention.
David
David & Emma Roche
Dino (Golden Doodle)
Motorcade# 18321
Dayton, Ohio
Two Townie Electra Bikes

Reply #3
Search the forum for Atwood fan motor and you will find fixes for it.  Quick fix is oil on motor shaft close to bearing with a long spout oiler, won't last but will solve it quickly.
Gary B

Reply #4
While you have the motor out oiling it take a picture of the numbers on it. There are many to choose from.
Bruce, Linda, and Macy
Zoey RIP 1/20/19
1999 U295 40' build #5400
2017 silver Jeep Wrangler, 1260 watts of solar on top
Moving around the country

Reply #5
Atwood propane furnace in 99 U270 has developed a screech that comes and goes, is from a small noise to a lot of noise. It's a bit cold here to be pulling it out and after reading old posts i am assuming I have to pull it out to oil the bearings if that will give a temporary repair?
Is that correct?
Thanks
David
I've done that, and one you've removed the burner assembly the only tricky part is releasing the grub screws and separating the fan from the motor shaft as you remove the motor.

I marked which was was up on the motor and drilled 1/8" oil holes then soaked the inner felt* with synthetic oil.  Long experience with plain bearing fans has taught me the synthetic lasts the longest.

* In my case the motor hadn't turned in a long time and I used my cordless drill the spin the motor until it ran freely.
1992 Foretravel Grand Villa
U225 SBID Build No. 4134
1986 Rockwood Driftwood
1968 S.I.A.T.A. Spring
1962 Studebaker Lark
1986 Honda VF700C
1983 Honda VF750C
Charlie, the Dog was broken out of jail 24 Oct 2023
N1RPN
AA1OH (H)e who must be obeyed.

Reply #6
It is not necessary to pull the motor to lubricate the bushings.

A light-viscosity non-detergent oil such as sewing machine oil is best.

Put drops on the shaft on each side of the motor.  Let the oil wick in.

I have used oil on the end of a long screwdriver, other times a straw to get the few drops of oil in there.

Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #7
Brett, can I oil from the inside the coach or do I remove the burner and go to it from the outside?
David
David & Emma Roche
Dino (Golden Doodle)
Motorcade# 18321
Dayton, Ohio
Two Townie Electra Bikes

Reply #8
From the outside.
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #9
Thanks Brett
Of course it's the outside!!!
David & Emma Roche
Dino (Golden Doodle)
Motorcade# 18321
Dayton, Ohio
Two Townie Electra Bikes

Reply #11
Thanks all, got both bearings oiled with the zoom spout oiler with turbine oil in it, back to normal for the moment, appreciate the help.
David & Emma Roche
Dino (Golden Doodle)
Motorcade# 18321
Dayton, Ohio
Two Townie Electra Bikes

Reply #12
Replace the motor. You'll be oiling again.
1994 U280, Build 4490
Deming, NM.

Reply #13
I will go ahead and order a replacement motor and hope I don't need to install it until the weather warms up!!!
It's too cold to be working outside on stuff like that!
David & Emma Roche
Dino (Golden Doodle)
Motorcade# 18321
Dayton, Ohio
Two Townie Electra Bikes

Reply #14
Huh? I replaced the entire rear axle housing and axles on my Jeep pickup while laying outside, in the snow, in February. (Back when I was too dumb to know better) But I needed the truck for snow plowing.
Now, that was cold!!
Nitehawk,  Demolition Lady, & our NEW master, Zippy the speeding BB cat.
1989 Grand Villa 36' ORED
Oshkosh chassis, 8.2 DD V8
2006 Saturn Vue AWD

Reply #15
We put up with fan motor screech on start up for two years, bought a replacement fan motor and had it replaced this year in Yuma. Its a two hour job if it goes right. Releasing the shaft from the bearing is the tough part if its corroded at all it is impossible. Used a dremel to clean of the ridge and it came out.  New shaft just slides in no problem, adjusting the alignment takes some time.  The old fan motor shaft moved around badly, in the bearing, so it was time to change it.
Rick
95 U280

Reply #16
Well the screech did not last long, even with oil. The day after ordering the replacement the screech stopped because the motor was destroyed by the play in the shaft. The excessive play in the shaft as it died destroyed the blower cage, it's always something, took one off an old furnace for $15 as opposed to $20 for a new one that was not available that day!
New fan motor $75 (you can get them for $50)
It's a good two hour job if it goes well and this one did not.
Replaced the burner which was rusty, when it's apart it's a good time to do it.
New burner and blower - we have WAY more heat in the coach.
So many of you were correct, even with oil it did not last, and now I have a new bottle of amazing turbine oil with a long spout! Thanks all!
David & Emma Roche
Dino (Golden Doodle)
Motorcade# 18321
Dayton, Ohio
Two Townie Electra Bikes

Reply #17
Changed my fan motor today. The combustion blower fan was not going to come off the shaft. Heated it with a grill lighter for 20 seconds, presto! Total time for the change was about 15 minutes. My large blower fan was not true and wobbled. Replaced with a new blower and the heater is much quieter. Motor from EBay, $50.20 and blower fan on Amazon $18.
1998 36' U295 Mechanical 8.3

Reply #18
Well the screech did not last long, even with oil. The day after ordering the replacement the screech stopped because the motor was destroyed by the play in the shaft. The excessive play in the shaft as it died destroyed the blower cage, it's always something, took one off an old furnace for $15 as opposed to $20 for a new one that was not available that day!
New fan motor $75 (you can get them for $50)
It's a good two hour job if it goes well and this one did not.
Replaced the burner which was rusty, when it's apart it's a good time to do it.
New burner and blower - we have WAY more heat in the coach.
So many of you were correct, even with oil it did not last, and now I have a new bottle of amazing turbine oil with a long spout! Thanks all!

Irish,

Do you have a part# for a fun motor and a process to replace? - we have a 2000 u270 2 furnaces.

Thank you for your help,

Jim
Jim & Kris Carbone
Medina OH
2000 U270 4000 #5614
MC 18966

Reply #19
You should probably look at your model numbers and search the webb for a place that sells Atwood parts and order from them,
his may not be the same as yours,will try and find my reciep from where I got my parts.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #20
Do you have a part# for a fun motor and a process to replace? - we have a 2000 u270 2 furnaces.
Try the manual below, which is located in our Forum Library (a excellent resource).

Determine what model furnace you have, then look in the parts listing to find the OEM part number for the motor.

Once you have the OEM part number, do a Google search for that number.  See if you find a crossover number to a new motor.

https://www.foreforums.com/index.php?action=media;sa=media;in=4943

1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #21
Try the manual below, which is located in our Forum Library (a excellent resource).

Determine what model furnace you have, then look in the parts listing to find the OEM part number for the motor.

Once you have the OEM part number, do a Google search for that number.  See if you find a crossover number to a new motor.

https://www.foreforums.com/index.php?action=media;sa=media;in=3839

Thank you much
Jim & Kris Carbone
Medina OH
2000 U270 4000 #5614
MC 18966

Reply #22
Jim and Kris,

I apologize - I clicked on the wrong file when I created the link in my previous post.  I have corrected the error, so the link should now be a bit more relevant.

Sorry about that.  I shouldn't try to post after having my evening hot toddy.  :facepalm:

1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #23
Thank you - I sprayed lube on shaft - quieted down - a lot, ran for an hour... Still quite, let's play it by ear.

Thanks again
Jim & Kris Carbone
Medina OH
2000 U270 4000 #5614
MC 18966

Reply #24
You will need a new motor soon,oil is temperary fix.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.