Skip to main content

Topic: Atwood furnace Fan Screech (Read 300 times) previous topic - next topic

Atwood furnace Fan Screech
Atwood propane furnace in 99 U270 has developed a screech that comes and goes, is from a small noise to a lot of noise. It's a bit cold here to be pulling it out and after reading old posts i am assuming I have to pull it out to oil the bearings...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

• jor
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: Atwood furnace Fan Screech
Reply #1
It is likely the motor rather than the fan. The only real repair is to replace the motor. they are inexpensive and the job isn't bad. Sometimes the screeching will go away for awhile.
jor

Reply #2
Thanks, it has done the screech a few times over the last 4 months for a second and not repeated itself so did not pay it much attention.
David

• Gary Bouland
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
Search the forum for Atwood fan motor and you will find fixes for it.  Quick fix is oil on motor shaft close to bearing with a long spout oiler, won't last but will solve it quickly.
Gary B

• bbeane
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
While you have the motor out oiling it take a picture of the numbers on it. There are many to choose from.

Reply #5
Atwood propane furnace in 99 U270 has developed a screech that comes and goes, is from a small noise to a lot of noise. It's a bit cold here to be pulling it out and after reading old posts i...

Reply #6
It is not necessary to pull the motor to lubricate the bushings.

A light-viscosity non-detergent oil such as sewing machine oil is best.

Put drops on the shaft on each side of the motor.  Let the oil wick in.

I have used oil on the end of a long...

Reply #7
Brett, can I oil from the inside the coach or do I remove the burner and go to it from the outside?
David

Reply #8
From the outside.

Reply #9
Thanks Brett
Of course it's the outside!!!

Reply #10
Zoom spout oiler is the handy tool for this job.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DIAL-4-oz-Evaporative-Cooler-Zoom-Spout-Oil-5714/100128593

Reply #11
Thanks all, got both bearings oiled with the zoom spout oiler with turbine oil in it, back to normal for the moment, appreciate the help.

• Twig
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #12
Replace the motor. You'll be oiling again.

Reply #13
I will go ahead and order a replacement motor and hope I don't need to install it until the weather warms up!!!
It's too cold to be working outside on stuff like that!

• nitehawk
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #14
Huh? I replaced the entire rear axle housing and axles on my Jeep pickup while laying outside, in the snow, in February. (Back when I was too dumb to know better) But I needed the truck for snow plowing.
Now, that was cold!!