Skip to main content

Topic: Tow vehicle (Read 526 times) previous topic - next topic

• [*][*][*]
Tow vehicle
We are in the market for a tow vehicle.
We found  a 2011Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4 wheel drive that they towed.
They have a brake buddy select but it's not the boost. They have used it however. So is it preferable to get the brake buddy boost for...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Tow vehicle
Reply #1
We are in the market for a tow vehicle.
We found  a 2011Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4 wheel drive that they towed.
They have a brake buddy select but it's not the boost. They have used it however....

• [*][*][*]
Reply #2
Thanks.
Is it a 4 by 4.

Reply #3
Thanks.
Is it a 4 by 4.
They have to be to be towed 4 wheels down and must have a neutral in the transfer case. If you are not familiar with the tow procedure, put the transfer case in neutral and...

Reply #4
Been towing 4 down a 2005 RAV4 (last year in the states for manual trans) AWD since we bought the coach. Just under 3000 lbs so aux brake is not required in all states. Toyota reliability with zero issues in 240,000 now. Just tires and brake...

• Lance Camper
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
Your question (if I read it correctly) asked if you needed to use the boost version of Brake Buddy if you have 4WD. That answer is no.

The braking system (Brake Buddy) is not dependent on whether you have 4WD or not. When towing a Jeep Grand...

Reply #6
Your question (if I read it correctly) asked if you needed to use the boost version of Brake Buddy if you have 4WD. That answer is no.

The braking system (Brake Buddy) is not dependent on...

Reply #7
Having towed Cherokees and Grand Cherokees for 20 years, all 4x4 never knew Jeep quit putting the neutral feature in all models starting in 2006, until I decided to get a newer one. They are electronic and have to have the button that disengages...

Reply #8
Maybe a little heavy, however, for the past 15 years we've towed a 1998 to 2008 Toyota Land Cruiser or Lexus LX and now 27 months with a Lexus GX470.  Now, for the first time in what seems forever, we are down to one car. This past two years, to...

• Lance Camper
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #9
Having towed Cherokees and Grand Cherokees for 20 years, all 4x4 never knew Jeep quit putting the neutral feature in all models starting in 2006, until I decided to get a newer one. They are...

Reply #10
Do consider making sure you have a charge line (can be part of the umbilical wiring) from the coach to the toad since the Brake Buddy relies on power from the 12V of the toad in order to operate. 

• Texhub
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #11
Added a new vehicle on Saturday. 2018 Equinox Diesel awd, every option Chevy provides. Will make a good toad.

Diesel Equinox and Terrain were only made for 2018 - 2019. 40 plus highway fuel mileage.

Reply #12
Jeep..... Just empty every pocket.
I tow mine. It's easy...and it's hard. You have to push a bunch of small buttons.. (1) .. while standing on your head and asking the gods to make it work.
Seriously, don't understand why they made it so hard to...

Reply #13
Been towing 4 down a 2005 RAV4 (last year in the states for manual trans) AWD since we bought the coach. Just under 3000 lbs so aux brake is not required in all states. Toyota...

Reply #14
Towing limit without supplemental brakes DOES vary by state.  But, my understanding is in Canada (at least in most provinces) it is required on all, irrespective of weight.

Reply #15
Towing limit without supplemental brakes DOES vary by state.  But, my understanding is in Canada (at least in most provinces) it is required on all, irrespective of weight.

I didn't know that I...

Reply #16
On the Elantra you might want to start research on base plate. Etrailer has good installation videos that cover many specific applications. Watch the video to see what kind of surgery will be required. I wish I had gotten a tow bar with "non...

Reply #17
Our 2014 Elantra manual transmission was a great 4 down toad.  No idea if things changed with the next generation Elantra.

But, the 2017 FMCA towing guide does show it as towable 4 wheels down ( may have to be an FMCA member to view it): ...

Reply #18
Our 2014 Elantra manual transmission was a great 4 down toad.  No idea if things changed with the next generation Elantra.

But, the 2017 FMCA towing guide does show it as towable 4 wheels down (...

Reply #19
What is FMCA stand for I seen it somewhere in my reading

Family Motor Coach Association

Family Motor Coach Association | The Best of RV Travel Clubs | FMCA