Skip to main content
Topic: Motorhome Tires (Read 3241 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Motorhome Tires - Wrapup

Reply #50
I do appreciate all your thoughts and feedback. Ended up purchasing Michelin X Multi Energy Z (H rated) STEER tires all around via the Prevost Dupree Michelin tire discount program. Tire clearance good all around. Had tires balanced with beads. Drives and rides great! On the road again!
Walt, Dawn, Matt & the Poodles
99 36' U320 #5515 MC #17977 "Axle"
Not All Who Wander Are Lost (not original but I like it)

Re: Motorhome Tires

Reply #51
Uniroyal RS20's from Walmart.com!!!! Owned by Michelin. Dealer told me your getting Michelin quality at a 40% discount
1996 U295-36, Cummins 300hp, 8.3. Build number 4864. Vin number 1F97D536XTNO54271. Purchased October 31, 2019.

Reply #52
I've attached the Uniroyal commercial tire inflation book. For 275-80-22.5, 110 lbs., that takes you to 22,750 on your rear axle, and 12,350 on the front axle.  This seems a little high, so I would at least weigh sometime when fully loaded, at least they recommended a safe pressure.

The Uniroyale tires will be fine, they are not the same as the Michelins in the previous post. Many are happy with the Uniroyale brand as I am with my Toyo tires. Most replace the tires because of age and not wearing them out. 

Toyota builds both the Lexus and Toyota brands. No knowledgeable, honest salesman would say your getting Lexus quality in your Toyota Corolla for 60% less. Different design, materials, and assembly criteria. What you were told is called "a pitch".  No worries though, correct air pressure, equipment mechanical condition, and road conditions will, as with any tire, be important to you now that you have new tires. 
97 U295 40, Build #5040, 6C8.3 325 HP
Oregon Continuous Traveler
Samsung Residential #RF20HFENBSR,
Xantrex SW2012, (3)AGM8D Hse, (2)AGM Grp24 Eng, Victron BMV-712, 1800w Solar 4 LG & 2 Sunpower
Extreme Full Body Pt w/hdlmps, new furn/floor, 4 down Lexus 2004 GX470 AWD curb weight 4,740 lbs
Prev: 1990 Barth, 10L 300 2 yrs; 91&92 Monaco Signature, 10 yrs, 10L C 300 &  6C8.3 300; 1997 ForeT 6C8.3 325 since May 2017.  Employed by Guaranty RV 14+ yrs.  Former VW New Car Dlr/Service Dlr, Sales Mgr, Rv Sales, and Service Adviser from 1968-2017
"Don't criticize what you can't understand" Bob Dylan

Reply #53
Don't agree at all but that's ok, If you want to pay for a Mich, you can! Mine will age out before wearing out, so it's not worth it. I would challenge you to go look closer at Toyota and Lexus again. Your paying for a name and a few more gadgets, not the quality of the build or parts. Japan has it figured out. Make a quality car no matter what the price
1996 U295-36, Cummins 300hp, 8.3. Build number 4864. Vin number 1F97D536XTNO54271. Purchased October 31, 2019.

Reply #54
Don't agree at all but that's ok, If you want to pay for a Mich, you can! Mine will age out before wearing out, so it's not worth it. I would challenge you to go look closer at Toyota and Lexus again. Your paying for a name and a few more gadgets, not the quality of the build or parts. Japan has it figured out. Make a quality car no matter what the price
Agree. Toyota products take a beating with contractors, etc. Less likely to get garaged. Lexus is great but Toyota is right there with them. Our RAV4 has 240K on it with only brake pads and one battery in many years of ownership. No timing belt to worry about.

Least expensive RV ownership would be a Toyota/Lexus Land Cruiser/Sequoia/Lexus GX/LX 470 pulling a rebuilt older Airstream. Tires would be about it.

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #55
Bob & Susan,

We are only interested in Michelin tires and have been happy with XZA3 LR-H.

Since XZA3 are no longer available and if price is not a factor, what Michelin model do your recommend from the current lineup?

Like others we use FMCA to get their Fleet price

Thank you, 
Barry & Cindy
Foretraveler@gmail.com

Reply #56
Barry and Cindy I notice the new Michelin "x" energy Z tires "h" rated  max out at 7160 pounds at 120 psi.

My Xza-3+'s were 7610 at 120. 

No longer offered. 

The new tires  hopefully should have similar ride and handling qualities and the higher pressures needed.

Most do not live in so cal with bad roads. 

I would buy them no problem

"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #57
Thanks Bob & Susan for the Michelin info and specs.

Barry & Cindy

Reply #58
Hopefully I have attached the Michelin X-Line Energy Tire Chart pressures for anyone that may have an interest. I had my 99 U320 36ft no-slide FT weighed loaded with normal supplies ((10,300 (5,100/5,200) front and (19,500 rear axle weights)) and added 1,000lbs for people and fuel, propane, groceries, bay storage supplies top offs plus a little margin. Similar approach with my H rated tire pressures (105 on front & 100 on rear tires which allows for cooler/warmer ambient temp variances without having to adjust pressures every morning...). It does not ride rough but may reduce tire psi over time as I gain more experience with this set of tires.

Walt, Dawn, Matt & the Poodles
99 36' U320 #5515 MC #17977 "Axle"
Not All Who Wander Are Lost (not original but I like it)

Reply #59
Your chart is G
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #60
I had my 99 U320 36ft no-slide FT weighed loaded with normal supplies ((10,300 (5,100/5,200) front and (19,500 rear axle weights)) and added 1,000lbs for people and fuel, propane, groceries, bay storage supplies top offs plus a little...
Similar approach with my H rated tire pressures (105 on front & 100 on rear tires which allows for cooler/warmer ambient temp variances without having to adjust pressures every morning...

Using your data it appears you are 15-20 lbs overinflated at the 100/105 inflation numbers.

You say your axles weighed in at 10,300 front 19,500 rear.  From the chart below, it appears 85 lb all around would take you to 11,100 front axle and 21,040 for rear axle?

MICHELIN INFLATION CHARTS FOR TRUCK TIRES
275/80R22.5 LRH from current Mich website 3/23/2020
Shared album - John Lewis - Google Photos

Xantrex SW2012, (3)AGM8D Hse, (2)AGM Grp24 Eng, Victron BMV-712, 1800w Solar 4 LG & 2 Sunpower
Extreme Full Body Pt w/hdlmps, new furn/floor, 4 down Lexus 2004 GX470 AWD curb weight 4,740 lbs
Prev: 1990 Barth, 10L 300 2 yrs; 91&92 Monaco Signature, 10 yrs, 10L C 300 &  6C8.3 300; 1997 ForeT 6C8.3 325 since May 2017.  Employed by Guaranty RV 14+ yrs.  Former VW New Car Dlr/Service Dlr, Sales Mgr, Rv Sales, and Service Adviser from 1968-2017

Reply #61
Michelin bought uniroyal and BF Goodrich and from what I have been told they started using the Michelin process to Mfg both uniroyal and BF Goodrich  I can't verify this but what I was told. I do know that some Mfg companies use the same process on the cheaper brands as the more expensive brands-- Case in point I worked for Maybelline cosmetic company for nearly 20 years,  they were bought out by L'Oreal in late 90's.  The first year a new L'Oreal product came out it was marketed under L'Oreal brand
the 2nd year it would be marked under Maybelline brand same process same raw material different package at 1/2 the price or less
I was one of the guys who kept the machines going.  So you can tell the DWS that if they find a product in L'Oreal brand that they like next year it will be available in Maybelline. BTW when they say L'Oreal Paris and Maybelline  New York in the advertising It is ALL made in N. Little Rock Arkansas If you are going on I-40 east of N. Little Rock you will drive by the plant on south side of road
Can't miss it!
Chris
1999 U 320 DGFE
Build Number 5523
Chris & Elka Lang
In the field, Lonoke AR

Reply #62
Michelin bought uniroyal and BF Goodrich and from what I have been told they started using the Michelin process to Mfg both uniroyal and BF Goodrich  I can't verify this but what I was told. I do know that some Mfg companies use the same process on the cheaper brands as the more expensive brands...
As Brett said earlier,  "In 1988, the company then known as UniroyalGoodrich Corp. exited the tire manufacturing business, selling that part of its operation to the Michelin Group of France. Uniroyal and BF Goodrich brands are still produced and sold by Michelin."

I am not saying what you say may not be true.  I am saying I have trouble following your logic and caring it over to the tire industry.

Few CrossRoads, Cruiser RV, Dutchmen, Jayco, or trailer owners would say their trailer is the same as a Airstream, all built by parent Thor.  Few Winnebago motorhome buyers would say their motorhome is the same as a Newmar, all built by parent Winnebago.

There are differences in "process" among different tires, made by the same tire manufacturer, such as the French owned Michelin and the Japanese owned Toyo.  This involves ride, wear, chipping resistance, tracking, traction, rolling resistance, etc.

Reply #63
Lots of excellent tires on the market today and most will have a low rolling resistance tire available. The most important feature to me is casing life. Some will rot out before the tread shows any wear on an average yearly mileage RV while others are known for excellent casing life and may be recapped out to 15 years. Sidewall flexibility is another issue. I like a more rigid sidewall but that's a personal choice. and some seem to blow out more frequently that others. Selection should not be based on price as some manufactures advertise a lot, others hardly at all. Many are sold by smaller independent tires shop but have national availability. Men seem to have their favorite horse in the race.

The word "cheaper" is, unfortunately, associated with poor quality. This is not true in most cases but lives on for many people.

Pierce

'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #64

The word "cheaper" is, unfortunately, associated with poor quality. This is not true in most cases but lives on for many people.

Pierce

But with tires, as with many other products, it's buyer beware — you get what you pay for.

Because of the substantial differences between name-brand tires that are made in China and tires that are designed and manufactured by Chinese tire makers, it may be more relevant to consider Chinese tires as two separate products.

Consumer Reports magazine tested 23 affordable all-season replacement tires, seven of them made in China, reported Gene Petersen, tire program leader for the magazine. Of those seven, six finished in the top half of the field, he noted.

They included tires from brands such as Toyo, Cooper, Pirelli, and Kumho. "Because these tires are being built with the companies whose names are on the tires, the same specifications that would apply to a tire made in the U.S. would apply to a tire made in China," said Petersen.

But that was seemingly not the case for the Chinese-branded Ling Long tires tested by Car and Driver magazine. The Ling Longs wore a tread pattern identical to that of a popular Yokohama tire, a visible semblance that could cause consumers to assume similarity of performance.

That assumption would be wrong. The magazine found the braking distances and cornering grip were much worse for the Ling Long tires than for any others in the test, requiring an extra 22 feet — one and a half car lengths — to stop from 50 mph than the best tires.

"Chinese-branded tires are a whole different world," reported Car and Driver technical director Dave VanderWerp. "You absolutely get what you pay for, which, as we found in our test, is capability that is nothing short of scary. The Ling Longs in our test scored less than half the performance-based points than even the next-best, eighth-place tire. That's how far they are off the pace."

"Is a Ling Long tire as good as a Michelin?" asked Smith. "No. If you want a Michelin, buy a Michelin," he said. "It depends on the consumer and what they are willing to pay."

There is no way to predict whether Chinese-branded tires will prove to be safe for American drivers, but because they are built to pass U.S. government safety tests, they should be.

But in the question of safety and performance in real-world driving conditions, Chinese tires will have to prove their worth to convince consumers. "It is more than the tread pattern, it is the engineering that goes into the tire," that determines its performance characteristics, said Edmonds, of Tire Rack.

Unfortunately, because these tires target the price-sensitive low end of the market, customers might be more swayed by the price tag than by the potential for longer braking distances.

"I'd sure like it if the guy behind me can stop another 20 feet shorter in the rain," said Edmonds.

Dan Carney
Doug W.
96 36' U270 CSGI #4946
04 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
PNW

Reply #65
Different models of the same tire brand have totally different characteristics. Green Max truck tires are made by LingLong in Thailand. In speaking to a large Los Angeles truck tire dealer, the reviews have been excellent. Here is quote from a tire test company.

In this test, Linglong Tire's Green-Max HP 010 (205/55R16 91V) gets a total test score of 8.3 points out of 10 points, and Test World Tire Test Report gives its the following assessment: Linglong Tire has a surprisingly good result in this test. Its performance on wet surfaces is better than that on dry surfaces. Linglong Tire has particularly excellent grip on wet surfaces, especially in a rather cold condition, it will make your driving easier and safer. Its noise is low and its rolling resistance is the average level.

The performance on wet surfaces accounts for more than 55% in summer tire testing. In regard to this index, the braking distance of Linglong Tire on wet surfaces is just 1.5 meters behind Michelin, the first place in this test, and shorter than that of Goodyear, Pirelli and Maxxis. As to the maneuverability on wet surfaces, Linglong still did a better job than some famous brands like Bridgestone and Yokohama, demonstrating the gap between Chinese independent brands and overseas premium brands continuing to narrow.

The Green Max steer tires (line haul) in 295/75R22.5 are $220/ea .

DoubleCoin is another Chinese company that gets high marks. The are the #5 truck tire brand in the U.S. They average in the $300 range for the same sizes.

We have been extremely happy with our Atturo 800 275/65R17 on our MBZ ML320. The optional size, they look great, stop and handle great, have a V (149 mph) speed rating and don't make any noise. Plus, they have an excellent ride at over 40 psi. In all of the tires we have had on our SUVs, these are the best overall. A dry weather high performance tire, the only slight deficiency is the snow but have not been able to get the ML stuck yet even trying. The OEM Bridgestones lasted 80K but had a harder ride and were a little noisy. The ML320 is right at 5K lbs. $420 for 4 out the door, tax, disposal, balancing, etc.

If you want an even better high speed tire, the Atturo AZ850 seems to be a favorite with the racers and winter drivers even offering a run flat tire. It's rated Y (186 mph) and lots of reviews can be viewed on YouTube at: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=atturo+850+tires

All of our Macs and iPhones including my two 5,1 towers come from China. They just don't fail.

Pierce

'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)