Skip to main content

Topic: Motorhome Tires (Read 2074 times) previous topic - next topic

Motorhome Tires
Just bought my (new to us) 99 u320 which has 2006 tires all around (with a small chunk out of one on the  sidewalls in the rear...). Currently in Nacogdoches and would like to know 1) who are happy with their tire choice (brand/size) and 2) are...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Motorhome Tires
Reply #1
Herman Power Tire in NAC generally keeps a fairly fresh supply of tires cuz they sell a lot of them.

Herman Power Tire | Nacogdoches and Diboll, TX Tires And Auto Repair Shop

Our coach is not "similar year/model" but FWIW we went with Uniroyal RS20...

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
I got a 99 U320 coach which came with 295/75/22.5 Bridgestone tires and I have no complains.

Reply #3
We have 295/75-22.5 Toyo M177 tires and they give us a great ride.  Purchased in Sealy Brown Tire
John

Reply #4
Toyo  M137's  295/75/22.5 H
Southern Tire Mart Longview, TX as they do a bunch of oil field trucks and turn over tires quickly.
Mike

• bigdog
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
36' 1998 U320. Changed over from the outdated Michelin's to the Toyo M137. Picked the M137 as they have a bit less tread depth (less tread squirm) than other Toyo's. We are happy with the Toyo's.
Main reason to not go with Michelin's was that...

Reply #6
Every unihome and unicoach  made came with Michelin's.

Michelin's x steel inner carcass self centers in its design. 

Plus the later tires have self centering sipes as part of the design.

Look at the various tires pictures on the internet for...

Reply #7
I ran Continentals for 9 years.  Excellent tires.  I replaced them with the Toyo M137.  Mainly because most seemed to like them and they seem to be a much better value.  I have always liked the ride of Michelin, but not sure they are worth the...

Reply #8
Stiffer sidewall tires are more durable and the coach does not move around as much. Key here is not how many miles you can get out of them but how long the carcasses last. Bridgestone/Firestone have the reputation for lasting the longest,...

Reply #9
When should we start seeing 2020 dated tires available at retail locations?  I need new tires so following this thread with great interest?  I definitely intend to let retailer know I want a recent manufacture date. 

PO is adamant the tires are...

Reply #10
You should be able to get tires made within the last quarter (3 months).

If not, were it me I would shop or wait unless an emergency situation.

And, I have specified exactly that on both our motorhome tire purchases and car tire purchases.  Have...

Reply #11
Unicoaches seem to be 2,000 pounds heavier, mostly in the front structure, than unihomes.

So a lower tire pressure tire on a unihome with certain ride quality results may be different on a 40' unicoach with a front mounted gen and a larger fuel...

Reply #12
You should be able to get tires made within the last quarter (3 months).

That actually does appear to depend on the tire size and popularity, at least with Michelin. 

Seems, at least from our...

• hdff
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #13
When we got our coach at MOT in 9/17 we bought Uniroyal tires from Herman power in Nac. A year later one of the fronts got a bulge in the side wall the size of a golf ball on the way home from San Antonio, Brown tire in Sealy on I10 on the way...

Reply #14
Thanks for your feedback. Herman Tire had some Toyo's that I am having mounted as I type. Thoughts on air pressure to run in front and back? No slide U320 with 3 8D's and full propane tank at front axle. I will be getting it aligned (Big Trucks...

Reply #15
Until you weight it, go by the PSI on the GVWR sticker on the wall next to the driver's seat. It is based on each axle being loaded to its GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating).

Reply #16
^ What Brett says ^

You don't want to risk running underinflated and damage brand new tires.  While inflating to axle rating will result in a stiffer ride, at least you won't risk tires or safety and in this case (with the Smart Weigh in the near...

Reply #17
Until you weight it, go by the PSI on the GVWR sticker on the wall next to the driver's seat. It is based on each axle being loaded to its GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating).
Brett, Wouldn't it be...

Reply #18
The PSI on the GVWR plaque is for the OE tires.  Certainly if you have different load ratings than OE tires, PSI could be different. Since one should NEVER go down in weight rating from OE, the OE recommended PSI could be accurate or a little...

Reply #19

Our 97 40' is just over 12k on the front axle wet.  The g rated tires at the needed higher pressure and older design rode roughly on bad roads.

New design, higher capacity, run at lower...

• Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 08:10:20 pm by Travelin' Man

Reply #20
Well stopped by Herman Power Tire this morning planning to purchase 6 tires.  Decided on the Toyo M177 that they had in stock (they fell under Brett's 3 month rule ;) I asked them in advance if they thought there was any problem with the tire...

Reply #21
Yes, I have inspected other coaches where 295/75R22.5 were just enough wider to touch either the bag base steel plate or the drag link.

In most cases minor "polishing" rather than destructive.

Reply #22
The 295s don't touch the airbag, just the bottom plate in certain turns. It polishes ours but nothing more. It's NO BIG DEAL at least on ours.. I'll take the 7% added width anytime.

Here is the size comparison chart:

Pierce

• bigdog
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #23
Well stopped by Herman Power Tire this morning planning to purchase 6 tires.  Decided on the Toyo M177 that they had in stock (they fell under Brett's 3 month rule ;) I asked them in advance if they...

Reply #24
My 12 year old bridgestones are getting replaced with Toyo soon. I would not consider Michelins under any circumstance. The local commercial tire shop actually recommended a popular chinese truck tire they have been installling successfully for...