Skip to main content
Topic: Generator Radiator Hose (Read 706 times) previous topic - next topic

Generator Radiator Hose

After installing my rebuilt Red Head steering box I am remounting radiator and blower. While there I am wanting to replace the radiator hoses. However NAPA did not have a source for the 1 1/4" radiator hose. Does anyone have a recommendation for hose replacement? Is silicon hose flexible enough for this application? What about heater hose? My hoses are 41" and 17" in length.
Greg
Greg & Sandy
2001 U270
Build # 5803
Eagle, Idaho

Re: Generator Radiator Hose

Reply #1
Dayco is probably the brand you need to spec out and I don't think NAPA sells Dayco.

Reply #2
What generator do you have? We have a Powertech 10KW. The lower radiator hose is poorly designed so I am making a copper pipe main section to short rubber/silicone pieces at each end.

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #3
I also have the Powertech 10KW. I was able to find a Continental Hose part # 52041 from Summit Racing.
Greg & Sandy
2001 U270
Build # 5803
Eagle, Idaho

Reply #4
When I redid my gen hoses I got them all at NAPA that does a lot of trucks. It's a very large store. We have an 03, U320
Richard & Betty Bark & Keiko our Golden Doodle
2003 U320T 3820 PBDS
Build # 6215
MC # 16926
2016 Chevrolet Colorado 4X4 diesel

Reply #5
Just for the record these are the 4 flex hoses I used for my Powertech 10KW (2001 U270)
1. Gates 25262
2. Gates 25260
3. Dayco 81051
4. Continental 52041
Greg & Sandy
2001 U270
Build # 5803
Eagle, Idaho

Reply #6
Just for the record these are the 4 flex hoses I used for my Powertech 10KW (2001 U270)
1. Gates 25262
2. Gates 25260
3. Dayco 81051
4. Continental 52041
Thanks for this.  This was a huge help!

I actually have six flex hoses, plus a short 5" run of 5/8 heater hose behind the coolant tank/belt cover thing.  Seven hoses!  Really!???

The Continental 52041 seems unavailable from any source I've been able to find.  Summit doesn't stock them and their supplier kept cancelling shipments.  I gave up after about six weeks.  A Gates 25269 works just fine.  They're the same size.

The Gates 25269 and the Dayco 81051 go from the radiator to the wall between the radiator and the generator.  From the generator to the wall are another 25269, a 25255, 25262, and a 25260 all Gates.  There are two hoses joined by a metal coupling in each direction for four hoses total.

While you're in there, replace the belt -- a Gates 7335.  It's a 3/8" x 34-1/8" v-belt.

The four hoses closest to the generator, the short heater hose, the water pump belt, and the shroud/tank components in the back are all best accessed by removing the "floor" of the generator cabinet and sitting up behind the generator for access to the clamps, bolts, and nuts.  The floor is like a rubber mudflap framed in steel.  It's easy to remove, but harder to replace while lifting and fitting fasteners at the same time.  Reattaching the floor consists of bracing one side on a jack stand while manipulating the other side with a bottle or floor jack until it is firm against the frame of the cabinet and replacing the fasteners.

I slit all of my hoses with a utility knife and then worked them loose with a screwdriver rather than trying to wrench them around and risk breaking any fittings.

It looks to me like someone (uninformed PO or lazy shop?) only replaced the four interior hoses and the belt.  My belt was the wrong size and there was no adjustment left in the pulleys.  It was so tight, I had to remove the bolts from the brackets to get the belt off.  The new belt fits my pulley's correctly now.  I'm not sure why the heater hose and exterior hoses were skipped.

For mine:

2x Gates 25269
Gates 25255
Dayco 81051
Gates 25262
Gates 25260
1' of 5/8" heater hose cut to length (about 4-5")

Changing out the hoses was a good time to flush the cooling system and I got a lot of rust.  I'm hoping this solves my generator cooling problems.  It ran both roof airs for an hour when it was about 95 out.  The big test will be our next long trip in a week.
Rick and Donna
1997 U320 4000 WTBI Build 5152 "Molesley"

Reply #7
Rick, if you haven't pulled the cover from under the generator I would strongly suggest to pull it and check position of radiator hoses and exhaust pipe.  When my (Isuzu) generator was pushed in the exhaust pipe was pushed up hard against radiator hose and when I looked at old hose there was the imprint of the exhaust pipe wrap which was common off.  I attached hose clamps to the middle of the radiator hoses and put a screen door spring attached to the 2 hoses and the side wall so hoses are pulled away from the exhaust pipe but can flex out when I pull generator out.  I also rewraped the exhaust pipe with new fiberglass wrap.
Chris
1999 U 320 DGFE
Build Number 5523
Chris & Elka Lang
In the field, Lonoke AR

Reply #8
I also had problem with the hoses touching the exhaust so I put a pulley in the back and ran a rope through the pulley around
the hoes and can pull the hoses away from the exhaust and clip it to the top edge of generator incloser.
Peter and Frieda Morin
1999 36ft. U320 Foretravel
Build # 5436
1998 Suzuki Sidekick Sport

Reply #9
Now you guys have me wishing I'd taken photos.  From memory, the hoses connect from the top near the thermostat, circle up over the engine, and route through the wall quite high.  I believe the exhaust comes off the back and connects low on the wall.  I don't remember contact being an issue.  What was an issue is that what looks like the main AC feed line likes to loop down and crush below the drawer, so I have to be really careful about that when I close the draw. 

I don't remember the exhaust that well, but I thought it had more of an armored flex-line appearance than heat wrapped.  Heat wrapping sounds like a good idea.  Exhaust going anywhere near those hoses can't be good for many reasons.

I'll take a look.  Thanks!
Rick and Donna
1997 U320 4000 WTBI Build 5152 "Molesley"

Reply #10
From memory, the hoses connect from the top near the thermostat, circle up over the engine, and route through the wall quite high.  I believe the exhaust comes off the back and connects low on the wall.  I don't remember contact being an issue. 
Rick,

That is the way I remember it as well but like you I did not take pictures as I should have when I was back up behind the generator.  What I did do when I installed new insulation was that I added about two feet of radiator hose.  Always in the past I was slightly limited on how far out the generator would slide on its tray because the hoses maxed out.  Now my generator slides out about two or three inches farther, which isn't much but it makes me feel like I have better access and I am not straining the hoses. 

Richard
Jan & Richard Witt
1999 U-320  36ft WTFE
Build Number: 5478 Motorcade: 16599
2008 Roadtrek Adventurous RS Sprinter
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Jan: NO5U, Richard:KA5RIW
The selected media item is not currently available.