Skip to main content
Topic: ‘96 U295 Windshield Wipers (Read 353 times) previous topic - next topic

‘96 U295 Windshield Wipers

Today, while driving through mist, fog, and rain I had my wipers on for several hours. First position, intermittent. All was well. Stopped at Love's in Rockwell (yes, I did Dallas, 635, and the PGBT at rush hours on a Friday-work sometimes makes my departure ability inconvenient. I digress, after stopping at Loves and restarting the wipers were behaving peculiarly. They would swipe from center out, come  in,  and nearly stop in my line of site, they also seemed a bit abrupt in their operation. When I turn them off I don't feel like they are going "home" to the same position.

Any advice? Or similar experience ?
1996 36' U295 Build #4879 Motorcade #18088
2007 Jeep Liberty 4x4 FMCA #F474816
Foretravel Mid-South
There's no happy like Foretravel happy!

Re: ‘96 U295 Windshield Wipers

Reply #1
Sounds like the nut has came loose on the electric motor where the arm that drives the wiper attaches.  If that is the case it is a pain to get to for repair. At one time (long ago) seems like there was a factory recall for coaches built along when yours was to replace/check the lock nut.

Mike

Here is the link to the recall for ice causing the shaft to slip if the nut isn't properly torqued but the same nut needs to be checked. https://www.foreforums.com/index.php?action=media;sa=media;in=3339

Here is one for the 02/03 years  but still about the same system as you have. https://www.foreforums.com/index.php?action=media;sa=media;in=3362
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters."

Reply #2
ThNK YOU Pam & Mike! I'll check it out!
1996 36' U295 Build #4879 Motorcade #18088
2007 Jeep Liberty 4x4 FMCA #F474816
Foretravel Mid-South
There's no happy like Foretravel happy!

Reply #3
Mine just did this during our trip west this fall.  Luckily FT was on the way.  They re-indexed the wipers and secured the nut.
Regards,
Brett

'99 42' Foretravel Xtreme
'14 Brown Motorsports Stacker
'05 Chevy SSR
'02 BMW R1150R

Reply #4
my wipers failed in the same fashion, going wonky at first and then becoming useless. this
incident happened more than 10 years ago, so my recollection is a little hazy. once the
upholstered part of the dash is off, you will see where foretravel left a small hole in the
plywood where you can access the nut. mine was almost completely stripped.
i ordered a new nut from f.o.t. , and was baffled that it had no threads. i called and was
told that it is self tapping. they could not give me the torque value. anyway to make a long
story longer, i put it on and torqued it to what felt good, and it has worked well since then,
although, rain does makes me nervous now, and i use the wipers sparingly.
my 93 u-280 had a much better design for the wipers.

Reply #5
A few years ago I had to replace some parts of the wiper system, the posts and the arms.  From that experience, one of the ways to access the wiper motor and the mechanism to the posts is to swing the CB panel in front of the passenger seat out of the way.  It is held in place with a few wood screws.  Disconnect the batteries and kill all the electric first.  There is enough wire to the panel that will allow you to move it out of the way.  You may also have to remove the padded dash,  it is held in place by velcro.  FT used 2 pieces of thin plywood to make mine and it is easy to bend in the middle and the plywood is just butted together. I also had to remove the instrument panel hood first in order to remove the dash panel.  Use care not to bend the panel.  Check the nuts on the posts that hold the arms in place first, if they come off or loose the arm can get out of position.
Jerry Whiteaker former owner 96 U270  36' #4831 Austin,TX-Owner Mods LCD TV w/front cabinet rebuild - LCD TV bedroom - Dual Central AC, either can cool coach w 30 amp - Skylights at roof AC openings - Drop ceiling for ducting of AC - Shower skylight white gelcoat/wood/epoxy frame - Air Springs/Shocks replaced - 2014 CRV - 8K Home Solar - Chevy Volt

Reply #6
On our 91GV, I had a problem where the wipers were fine in the constant position, but were squirrely in the delay mode.  They wouldn't wipe the full travel and wouldn't dock properly.  I was unable to get a new switch for them and am not sure at this time if that is where the circuitry is to control the docking part.  I installed a separate switch for the passenger side wiper and use it to dock that wiper.  I then use the wiper switch to dock the driver's wiper.  Docking the driver side takes a little practice on timing to get it all of the way down.  There may be other solutions out there, but this works well for me.  These wipers have independent motors and do not wipe in the same position at the same time  on the windshield, so independent switching negates that problem/situation.  Have a great day  ----  Fritz
Fritz & Kathy Johnson
1991 36'