Skip to main content

Topic: Any ideas why generator does this (Read 731 times) previous topic - next topic

Any ideas why generator does this
Generator is doing a couple of things that I'm concerned about. See picture attached. It will increase the voltage to 150 or 160 for 1-2 minutes. Sometimes it does it randomly but mostly when it just starting for 1-2 minutes. Also on occasion (5%...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Any ideas why generator does this
Reply #1
Looks like a voltage regulator problem. You would need to check the outlets with a voltmeter when the voltage spike occurs to make sure it isn't the monitor. If the outlets show the same voltage, give Jeff a call at Power Tech and he will advise...

Reply #2
Those voltage monitors are unreliable, check with another digital voltmeter. The surge might not be real. If real, you risk expensive damage.

How does the monitor do with shire power?

The generator has a replaceable voltage regulator that might be...

• Texhub
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
Voltage regulator is dying is what I suppose is happening.
Could just be loose connections in control box. Open it up. Check all connections. Look for wires loose in connection fitting. Also if you see any fuses. Pull, check with multimeter,...

Reply #4
Verify that it IS a voltage issue vs a monitor issue.

Plug a voltmeter into any wall socket to verify.

Reply #5
Thanks for the replies, good info. Waiting for a plane home in Phoenix. Will check this out when I return to Rocky Point. Anything else you can think of will be great for this novice!

Tom,

haven't noticed any surges from shore power.

Reply #6
Nope-- don't get ahead of yourself in solving what may not be a problem with the generator. Troubleshoot with a voltmeter first.

• Texhub
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
If computer gods smile. You will see
Plug/play regulator as sold by Pt. Frt/back
Various photos attempting to show the little gold fuel filter that is located to left of silver block fuel pump on an izusu 3lb1 8k generator. Then I finally found...

Reply #8
If computer gods smile. You will see
Plug/play regulator as sold by Pt. Frt/back
Various photos attempting to show the little gold fuel filter that is located to left of silver block fuel pump on...

Reply #9
Tommy, do you have a surge protector hooked up to your coach?  If not, that would be the first thing I would consider.  It saved our bacon when our generator voltage regulator went bananas.  Kept us from expensive repairs.  You also need to call...

Reply #10
Ours was and it is an easy switch out.  Our generator was reading 163 on leg 1 and 105 on leg 2.  Not good!  Good luck with your diagnosis!

First "suspect" is a bad neutral connection.

• Moby
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #11
Is now a good time to say:
 Check the simple stuff first?

Reply #12
Joe,
I had to dig through some files but I replaced my ATS in May of 2019 with a progressive dynamics PD52DCS transfer switch that has a surge protector built in so I think it has protected things.  I noticed when it showed the 160volts it looked...

Reply #13
First "suspect" is a bad neutral connection.

Please let us know the actual cause.

Brett;  it was the voltage reg on the generator.

Reply #14
I will be going to pick up coach on 2/29 so have not been able to do any testing on the generator voltage.  But in doing research I ran across this feed and had some questions.

I had already bought pedestal plug in Ems from progressive before my...

Reply #15
Tommy, because both your voltages were high, it is the regulator. When one high and one low can be a bad neutral or a bad monitor.

Reply #16
Thanks craneman!  I w for sure be in touch about what to do and not to do when I get back to the coach.  Appreciate the help! 

Reply #17
Tommy, love the animation!

Reply #18
Olde English,
That was inspired by kenhat's sig line. I thought I needed some emojis and went searching for them.

Reply #19
Changed Voltage Regulator was $346 shipped from Powertech.  Access to mine was a bear. Close confined space with about 2" of clearance above panel.  Had to remove 5 screws from the top of the generator panel.  This was not the only time it had...

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #20
Doesn't your generator pull out?

Reply #21
Doesn't your generator pull out?

Yes,  the picture shown is pulled out.  Only allows you better access to the front screw but the door above only allows about 3" clearance

Reply #22
Good to hear you made the repair Tommy!  Yes, it's a bear to get to as the generator on ours just doesn't come out far enough.  Thank God for offset Phillips drivers and plug and play voltage reg!

Reply #23
Great job.  I have this ratcheting driver that works great for tight spots like this:
Kobalt 4-Piece Steel Handle Ratcheting Multi-Bit Screwdriver Set at Lowes.com

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #24