Skip to main content
Topic: Removing countertops (Read 5517 times) previous topic - next topic

Removing countertops

In the middle of planning on removing countertops and trying to figure out what the best way to remove them is. Has anybody tried?
I know I can just take a hammer to him but I don't want to damage the wood. I've tried using my oscillating tool and the problem with that is getting access to all of the adhesive underneath. You can't get it from the front because of the overhang and unless I break the sink out I can't get to the back. So I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on this.
After looking at granite marble Corian etc I have decided to go with epoxy coated MDF. Been watching a lot of videos on coating MDF with colored epoxies. They look really good and I believe the weight will be less than the corian and certainly less than granite or marble.
My plan is to replace all of the corian the coach this way.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
1500 Watts Solar 600 amp Victron lithium
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Re: Removing countertops

Reply #1
Got to admit, I  kind of had a knee jerk reaction to the idea of destroying $$$Corian to install MDF.  Took a look at the videos though, and still don't get it.  You do realize epoxy is readily attacked by UV, right?  And MDF is pressed wood fiber just looking for an opportunity to absorb moisture and return to its natural state.....dust.  Have you considered the possibility of epoxy coating the existing Corian?

Doubt you'll save any weight, MDF is some heavy stuff in itself. 

You did ask for thoughts.
"Not so  long ago we were a nation of risk takers, riding five million pounds of  thrust straight into space."  Joe Gresh
Chuck Pearson
1996 U295
2018 Can Am X3 TurboRS

Reply #2
Corian is one of the best materials for counter tops. With the current issues with illness and its ability to live on surfaces. I would explore your medical side to overcome your designer side. Sand it down to restore the orginal luster. Be happy! Saving labor and time for your new steps system. 
MDF. Never
1999 U270 40 #5518
USN. USPS.

Reply #3
99 has cast by Foretravel countertops as I understand it.  Not Corion.  Made in house.
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #4
99 has cast by Foretravel countertops as I understand it.  Not Corion.  Made in house.
Why did the coach come with Corian paperwork and the instruction for the care of countertops?
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #5
The epoxy is UV stabilized.
The MDF is covered in paint/primer and all areas that get moisture coated in waterproof coating.
I like Corian. Just not this.
I can always change it out if it doesn't work.
Corian is epoxy with additives.

But the question remains.
How to remove it.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #6
https://youtu.be/nbOyQjJ-ksQ

To remove. Countertop. Maybe use a Japanese saw double sided.  This to slice thru the adhesive that was used.

Ask Fot how they remove the tops.?!
1999 U270 40 #5518
USN. USPS.

Reply #7
Well I used the oscillating carbide blade on my bosch tool. After a while threw my hands up and said #$@^.
Then I tried to use a pry bar. Nah.
Finally, took to the ball peen hammer. It worked like a charm.
Took maybe 20 min and that was cleaning up as I went, removing the drains and faucet, etc.

Found mold behind the backsplash. Some water intrusion but no damage.
I think this is going to be a fun project. And I think it will look outstanding !
New backsplash too.
Also going to even out the counter so it's all one height. Will not build in the induction cooktop, but leave it out on top. Will have space for 2 now.
Single undermount sink in the kitchen with a above counter vessel sink in the bath.
Pics will follow.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #8
Nice job. I look forward to the tops. Did you decide on what you were going to back on top?
2002 U270 34' Build 5953
Cummings ISL400HP
3410 Floor Plan
Longview, TX

Reply #9

something like this I think.

Sink is a elkay quartz on amazon.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #10
Really looking forward to seeing your results. That video was really interesting. Thanks
jor

Reply #11
Why did the coach come with Corian paperwork and the instruction for the care of countertops?

It's the same basic solid surface material, just not made/cast or branded by DuPont or in one of their proprietary color blends.
Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Lifetime Escapees' member SKP 82766
Former 1999 30IB Lazy Daze (2000-2004)
Former 2003 U320 (2004-2016)
Former 2017 LTV Unity (2017-2023)
Shopping for our next coach

Reply #12
okay so after some time I have started on the countertop for the kitchen. Actually I have more than started on it I'm a halfway done. I wanted to post a pictures and say look at my new marble countertops But they're not really done yet so. But I'm really excited to show these pictures cuz they actually look really damn good. The look I was going for was Carrera marble and I achieved it. I put two layers actually of colored epoxy down because my first layer I overworked it a little bit and kind of messed up one part. So I put another layer down and this one turned out near perfect. I'm really happy with it. And the layers just give it more depth and a thicker layer of epoxy over it. Tomorrow I'll put a float coat over of just clear epoxy. And then in about 5 days I will hone it to make it really look like marble stone. they say you can use the countertops in 3 days but it takes up to 30 days to fully cure. So I'll be putting them back in maybe in about 6 or 7 days depending on what's going on. I'm doing it in my garage and I don't have a whole lot of room so I'm only doing one at a time I still have the bathroom countertop to do as well as the coffee table/bar across from the galley. But I need to go out and get another sheet of MDF for that and right now put the quarantine going on I'm just waiting.
On my coach there is smaller cabinet next to the jackknife sofa that's about one and a half inches lower than the main galley cabinet. I didn't really like that I wanted one level countertop. I also have a recessed area for the stove which is no longer in my coach anyway and an induction cooktop is there. I didn't really want that anymore either. So it's all one level. I'll still use the induction when I want to cook with it and it'll be in the drawers below. I actually have two separate units so I can cook with two separate ones either under the microwave or one on each side of the sink. But if I didn't want to use the induction and wanted to use like an instapot or something else I could. lots of times I don't cook anyway I have cereal or something like that. Or maybe I'll just use the microwave. This way I have a larger expanse of countertop.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #13
okay so after some time I have started on the countertop for the kitchen. Actually I have more than started on it I'm a halfway done. I wanted to post a pictures and say look at my new marble countertops But they're not really done yet so. But I'm really excited to show these pictures cuz they actually look really damn good. The look I was going for was Carrera marble and I achieved it. I put two layers actually of colored epoxy down because my first layer I overworked it a little bit and kind of messed up one part. So I put another layer down and this one turned out near perfect. I'm really happy with it. And the layers just give it more depth and a thicker layer of epoxy over it. Tomorrow I'll put a float coat over of just clear epoxy. And then in about 5 days I will hone it to make it really look like marble stone. they say you can use the countertops in 3 days but it takes up to 30 days to fully cure. So I'll be putting them back in maybe in about 6 or 7 days depending on what's going on. I'm doing it in my garage and I don't have a whole lot of room so I'm only doing one at a time I still have the bathroom countertop to do as well as the coffee table/bar across from the galley. But I need to go out and get another sheet of MDF for that and right now put the quarantine going on I'm just waiting.
On my coach there is smaller cabinet next to the jackknife sofa that's about one and a half inches lower than the main galley cabinet. I didn't really like that I wanted one level countertop. I also have a recessed area for the stove which is no longer in my coach anyway and an induction cooktop is there. I didn't really want that anymore either. So it's all one level. I'll still use the induction when I want to cook with it and it'll be in the drawers below. I actually have two separate units so I can cook with two separate ones either under the microwave or one on each side of the sink. But if I didn't want to use the induction and wanted to use like an instapot or something else I could. lots of times I don't cook anyway I have cereal or something like that. Or maybe I'll just use the microwave. This way I have a larger expanse of countertop.
I like the look, our tops are quite dated looking with the roman ogee edge, but it was probably HOT in 2003..LOL  We'd like new tops but I'm not convinced using MDF for durability...Certainly on the list in the next year or so.
Prior 2003 U295  40ft  400Hp -Sold
2020 F350 Tremor - Sold
2021 Bundutec Roadrunner - Sold
2017 Airstream Classic - Sold that POS
2017 F250 - Sold
2019 Sprinter Van - Sold
2022 Winnebago Revel 4x4

Army Airborne Vet.

Reply #14
The really cool thing about using MDF is easily manipulated, tooled, and relatively strong. If properly sealed, it can last a long time. The epoxy gives it strength. And seals it from moisture.  I also covered the back with a  moisture blocking paint. There are videos of them hammering on it, lighting it up with  alcohol,  and putting  hot  pans on it with little effect.  And when damaged it can be easily repaired and re coated.  And as a base for this it's cheap. But your concern is valid.  We'll have to see what the long term brings. The above pics are before my second coat of epoxy and the final flood coat that goes on today.
You can use plywood, or even coat over the coriander. But I  wanted a  different counter top.
It's all in the prep as they say. Only hope I do it right.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #15
Had MDF doors for cabinets in my personal house.  Held up well except for the doors under the sink.  Since I had the ones without knobs, right where you open the cabinet ended up delaminating from having water on your fingers when you opened it to get dishwasher detergent or dawn soap for sink. 

2000 GV320 4010 build #5712  2019-?
1999 Bounder 2000-2008
Bardstown, KY
🥃The Bourbon Capital of the World🥃

Reply #16
True but remember that these are epoxy coated and the backs painted with a water blocking paint.

Pic is of the bar top before flood coat applied. Very windy today so got some dust in it. Should be fine with the flood coat of clear epoxy.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #17
Waiting to publish the final pictures of the kitchen until the backsplash is finished. But I I'm finished with the bathroom. I didn't do it exactly the way I wanted to with a lighted crack down the middle, I just had too much going on and I thought that there would be a little bit more of a learning curve there then I wanted to do right now.
However, to say that I am more than pleased with the way it turned out would be an understatement. It pretty much turned out the way I expected it to and hope that it would. The concerns about using MDF is the basis for an epoxy coated countertop I think we're not justified. Not only is the epoxy waterproof, but the multiple coats of waterproof blocking paint should keep any moisture well away from it.
I really didn't like bending over using the sink. My lower back doesn't really like that. The pedestal sink is just the right height now.
I understand this isn't for everybody and if you like your Corian that you have now more power to you. but I really did want to change it out and I'm glad that I did. I put a tile backsplash on, 3 by 6 in tile. Not the best Tiler out there but it turned out pretty well. One mistake I made was test fitting the countertop before I tile it fit just fine. I wanted to tile and grout before the countertop went down. With the tile and place I couldn't get the countertop back in I was about a half inch too much. After a bunch of head-scratching, I took the glass out of the shower and it slid right in. Getting the plumbing to matchup took a little fiddling. But I got that working as well. I post pictures of the kitchen once that's all grouted it up.
All in all I really enjoyed doing this project. Well it was time consuming, I learned a lot and I had fun doing it. Unfortunately I had to take the garage from my wife for 3 weeks. And it made a big mess. But I'm cleaning that up as I go.
If anybody's interested in this technique let me know I can steer you in the right direction. It can be used for vertical surfaces as well as horizontal as well. Basically the sky's the limit on what you can do with it. It's really a piece of art no two are alike.
Bob
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #18
In the like thinking of great minds we redid our S&B's kitchen and selected Metroquartz "vogue" quartz counters and back splashes.  Unfortunately only in 5'x10' sheets.  $1k per sheet.  Small kitchen took 2 sheets.
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
2007 Solara convertible

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430

Reply #19
Looks nice. Would have been 2K to do the coach in new Corian or granite. I spent around 500$ and some of that was for casting epoxy I won't use now.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #20
Ok you had me ... Well until you mentioned you took the garage from the wife ???

When we buy a house I will check the garage and the yard, front and back. She likes the house and I like the garage and yard, We buy!!.. She gets to do wahtever she wants in the house but the garage is out of the question  :))  ^.^d .. so far  its worked well .. so far.. she is getting a little overboard on giving me direction though :-X .. boundaries people!! :))  :))

Looks great though and a good Job !!

Reply #21
Thanks David. Well my Jeep is a 2012, her Honda is a 2019. So she gets to garage. Also hers is a plug-in hybrid so she has to plug it in every night and the plugs in the garage. If I ever buy another house it'll have a large workshop. I'm willing to accept a really small house as long as it has a big workshop.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #22
Thanks David. Well my Jeep is a 2012, her Honda is a 2019. So she gets to garage. Also hers is a plug-in hybrid so she has to plug it in every night and the plugs in the garage. If I ever buy another house it'll have a large workshop. I'm willing to accept a really small house as long as it has a big workshop.
I just poking fun... We all know who wears the pants.... That's why I buy stretch jeans, just in case she feels to take chage she can fit in them lol.

If she aint happy,, No one is happy.. Fact of life.. Women are made for a couple things

Cooking
Cleaning
Complaining and not necessarily in that order  :-X

Haa just kidding to all the nice women in the world... it was a joke.. Life is to short to be so serious.. ^.^d

Reply #23
Did you duck when you typed that?
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
2007 Solara convertible

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430

Reply #24
Backsplash is finished in the kitchen and bar.
Had so much fun with this I've decided to go all out and do the tv cabinet top and dining room table and office. Take a week or two for that to be ready.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired