Skip to main content

Topic: Removing countertops (Read 4926 times) previous topic - next topic

Removing countertops
In the middle of planning on removing countertops and trying to figure out what the best way to remove them is. Has anybody tried?
I know I can just take a hammer to him but I don't want to damage the wood. I've tried using my oscillating tool and...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Removing countertops
Reply #1
Got to admit, I  kind of had a knee jerk reaction to the idea of destroying $$$Corian to install MDF.  Took a look at the videos though, and still don't get it.  You do realize epoxy is readily attacked by UV, right?  And MDF is pressed wood...

• Texhub
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
Corian is one of the best materials for counter tops. With the current issues with illness and its ability to live on surfaces. I would explore your medical side to overcome your designer side. Sand it down to restore the orginal luster. Be...

Reply #3
99 has cast by Foretravel countertops as I understand it.  Not Corion.  Made in house.

Reply #4
99 has cast by Foretravel countertops as I understand it.  Not Corion.  Made in house.
Why did the coach come with Corian paperwork and the instruction for the care of countertops?

Reply #5
The epoxy is UV stabilized.
The MDF is covered in paint/primer and all areas that get moisture coated in waterproof coating.
I like Corian. Just not this.
I can always change it out if it doesn't work.
Corian is epoxy with additives.

But the...

• Texhub
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
https://youtu.be/nbOyQjJ-ksQ

To remove. Countertop. Maybe use a Japanese saw double sided.  This to slice thru the adhesive that was used.

Ask Fot how they remove the tops.?!

Reply #7
Well I used the oscillating carbide blade on my bosch tool. After a while threw my hands up and said #$@^.
Then I tried to use a pry bar. Nah.
Finally, took to the ball peen hammer. It worked like a charm.
Took maybe 20 min and that was cleaning up...

Reply #8
Nice job. I look forward to the tops. Did you decide on what you were going to back on top?

Reply #9

something like this I think.

Sink is a elkay quartz on amazon.

• jor
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #10
Really looking forward to seeing your results. That video was really interesting. Thanks
jor

Reply #11
Why did the coach come with Corian paperwork and the instruction for the care of countertops?

It's the same basic solid surface material, just not made/cast or branded by DuPont or in one of...

Reply #12
okay so after some time I have started on the countertop for the kitchen. Actually I have more than started on it I'm a halfway done. I wanted to post a pictures and say look at my new marble countertops But they're not really done yet so. But...

• OSIN
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #13
okay so after some time I have started on the countertop for the kitchen. Actually I have more than started on it I'm a halfway done. I wanted to post a pictures and say look at my new...

Reply #14
The really cool thing about using MDF is easily manipulated, tooled, and relatively strong. If properly sealed, it can last a long time. The epoxy gives it strength. And seals it from moisture.   I also covered the back with a  moisture blocking...

Reply #15
Had MDF doors for cabinets in my personal house.  Held up well except for the doors under the sink.  Since I had the ones without knobs, right where you open the cabinet ended up delaminating from having water on your fingers when you opened it...

Reply #16
True but remember that these are epoxy coated and the backs painted with a water blocking paint.

Pic is of the bar top before flood coat applied. Very windy today so got some dust in it. Should be fine with the flood coat of clear epoxy.

Reply #17
Waiting to publish the final pictures of the kitchen until the backsplash is finished. But I I'm finished with the bathroom. I didn't do it exactly the way I wanted to with a lighted crack down the middle, I just had too much going on and I...

Reply #18
In the like thinking of great minds we redid our S&B's kitchen and selected Metroquartz "vogue" quartz counters and back splashes.  Unfortunately only in 5'x10' sheets.  $1k per sheet.  Small kitchen took 2 sheets.

Reply #19
Looks nice. Would have been 2K to do the coach in new Corian or granite. I spent around 500$ and some of that was for casting epoxy I won't use now.

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #20
Ok you had me ... Well until you mentioned you took the garage from the wife ???

When we buy a house I will check the garage and the yard, front and back. She likes the house and I like the garage and yard, We buy!!.. She gets to do wahtever she...

Reply #21
Thanks David. Well my Jeep is a 2012, her Honda is a 2019. So she gets to garage. Also hers is a plug-in hybrid so she has to plug it in every night and the plugs in the garage. If I ever buy another house it'll have a large workshop. I'm willing...

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #22
Thanks David. Well my Jeep is a 2012, her Honda is a 2019. So she gets to garage. Also hers is a plug-in hybrid so she has to plug it in every night and the plugs in the garage. If I ever...

Reply #23
Did you duck when you typed that?

Reply #24
Backsplash is finished in the kitchen and bar.
Had so much fun with this I've decided to go all out and do the tv cabinet top and dining room table and office. Take a week or two for that to be ready.