Skip to main content

Topic: Rocore Floating Bundle Trans Cooler On the Cheap  (Read 551 times) previous topic - next topic

Rocore Floating Bundle Trans Cooler On the Cheap
Well, cheap in the eye of the beholder.

The Rocore floating bundle replacement trans cooler for our original 3-1279B fixed bundle is 5-7027B. I couldn't find one at a distressed price, so I looked for alternatives. I found several Rocore Code 37...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Rocore Floating Bundle Trans Cooler On the Cheap
Reply #1
That's some great info and sourcing.  Thanks for putting it out there.  Were you able to catch cooler failure in time?

Reply #2
Chuck,
Ours hasn't failed....yet, so this is a proactive replacement. We have 3 short trips before I get to it, and I'll take it easy on retarder use until then.

Greg

Reply #3
Update:

"the next few weeks" turned into the next 5 months  ;D Hey, I got sidetracked. At least most of that was working on our coach.
The bonnets were an easy swap. I did use the existing O-rings, as they still had over .020" compression. The drain...

Reply #4
The latest big rigs use air to ATF coolers. No chance of mixing coolant with ATF. Check Mobile Hydraulic Oil Cooler, 0-60 GPM, 20HP; Model OC-62 Replaces Cool-line C-18

Pierce

Reply #5
I like the idea of just retrofitting with a new model. I'll bet my large diesel mechanics could figure that out for me.

Reply #6
The latest big rigs use air to ATF coolers. No chance of mixing coolant with ATF. Check Mobile Hydraulic Oil Cooler, 0-60 GPM, 20HP; Model OC-62 Replaces Cool-line C-18

Pierce
One...

Reply #7
The new Freightliners with the DD13 and DT12 use air transcoolers. They do all have Jakes but sizing with a cooling fan should be compatible with the retarder.

Don't retarders have a temp warning light?

Pierce

Reply #8
There is no place to mount an air hydraulic cooler on my 320. I bought one of the floating ones posted at the beginning of this thread and will install it when time allows.

Reply #9
I bought one of the floating ones posted at the beginning of this thread and will install it when time allows.

Excellent! I noticed the sister to mine had sold, not long after this thread was...

Reply #10
Pierce's oil air cooler link: Mobile Hydraulic Oil Cooler, 0-60 GPM, 20HP; Model OC-62 Replaces Cool-line C-18

Air cooler looks too small when compared to our large diameter ATF hoses.

Reply #11
Berry,

I only linked to an example. You would have to contact the company for them to size the transcooler to your transmission and coach. Non-retarder transmissions would take a smaller size than the retarder models. Allison models without lockup...

Reply #12
I see those haulers at the NHRA Winter Nationals Pulling their cars.

Reply #13
Fortunately, the day of the torque converter is almost at an end. Detroit's DT-12, Corvette's twin clutch along with Porsche, etc has made the conventional automatic obsolete....

Reply #14
Greg,

Do you do the shifting? Is it sequential or can you skip gears?

I was impressed how the DT-12 skip shifts with a light load or heading downhill. All without any input from the driver and you don't feel it. GPS can be activated and works with...

Reply #15
Pierce,

It's not that sophisticated. ...sequential auto mode, performance mode (higher revs before upshifting), and manual mode (paddle shifters, just like the F1 guys) ;D

The DT-12 sound's like quite the piece of engineering.

Greg

Reply #16
Hi Pierce,

You have opened my mind to something I never heard of, that is Dual Clutch transmission.

After a couple of Google hits, I am on board. Have no idea how long Dual Clutch trannys have been in vehicles.

Thanks for your informative reply,

Barry

Reply #17

Reply #18
Berry,

My eyes get opened every day to something new. I expect a lot of the development came from racing where quick shifts were needed. My Kawasaki 500 was quick enough so that you could not use the clutch if you were in a hurry, just roll off on...

Reply #19
Eaton Discontinues Procision Dual-Clutch Transmission - Equipment - Trucking...
Lots of work needed to get all the thousands of items correct to get it to work right and last. Mercedes built the...