Skip to main content

Topic: Staying 'Cool' this summer. (Read 9697 times) previous topic - next topic

Staying 'Cool' this summer.
We decided to keep the coach here in Ajo year around and use it as a base since the yearly rate is cheaper than dirt. However, it does get a tad WARM here so I did some research and talked with a friend who's a installer and picked up this...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

• Moby
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: Staying 'Cool' this summer.
Reply #1
Curious how it works out.

Reply #2
I would say that is hot! My house and coach never see 75 except in storage where the thermostat is set at 79.  Yes I am one of those people.

We turn our house up to 75 when we go out of town. We keep it around 70 - 71 during the summer.

I like...

Reply #3
Curious how it works out.
I'm sure there will be some head scratching, but my plan is a plywood cover over one of the windows (hoping for the driver's side small one). And not screw the plywood...

• Texhub
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
Finally a Ft with a mini split.

I have been reading, watching and learning about them. Watching installs in buildings, boats and Rv also bus mods be it schoolie or bus.

Invalid Page | Indiegogo

I have ordered 2 of the 12000 btu units from above....

Reply #5
Finally a Ft with a mini split. I have been reading, watching and learning about them. Watching installs in buildings, boats and Rv also bus mods be it schoolie or bus. I will watch and wait your...

Reply #6
Some people I know who live in an RV year round in Fort Mohave, AZ (120 degree days) swear by their heat pump.

Reply #7
Curious on how you plan to run the condensate discharge line or if a condensate pump be needed?
If the air is extremely dry there might not be much, but in Texas, we have a steady drip out of our mini-split.

Reply #8
Interesting.  Await your results. The savings alone will pay for the system quickly. Only works if your not very mobile though. I would mount it on the rear while figuring out a way to open the engine door easier. Have the cold air blow through...

Reply #9
I'm sure there will be some head scratching, but my plan is a plywood cover over one of the windows (hoping for the driver's side small one).

I'm a big fan of mini splits as well, installed...

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #10
The condensate will be the easy part, how about the ac lines from the outside to inside unit?How will you mount the outside unit
on the roof, sideways?Agree they are quieter but at some point in the near future they will have one designed for an...

Reply #11
Agree with both Chuck and John.  I installed a Pioneer in our house which I agree is a re-branded version and was less than $700 for a 9000 BTU version.   I think part of what makes the unit in the link more  expensive is the special fittings on...

Reply #12
Most units are, or are transitioning to, 240 volt operation.  Several mfg. are phasing out 120 volt units.  This creates a challenge with our gensets and electrical systems.  They are...

Reply #13
In order to snake the wires/drain into the coach I'll make a plywood cover that fits the driver's side window. In order to avoid drilling screw holes in the coach, I'll make a couple of wood 'keepers' on the inside that will attach to the outside...

Reply #14
I would check if you can make your own lines up instead of using the 15 foot stock lines.
The lines are precharged with coolant ergo diy. Installed whole house AC in our house in NH years ago with...

Reply #15
We decided to keep the coach here in Ajo year around and use it as a base since the yearly rate is cheaper than dirt. However, it does get a tad WARM here so I did some research and talked...

Reply #16
If someone were to be adventurous, the unit could be chopped up to repackage as a lower profile unit suitable for roof or basement mounting.....chop, hack, glue, solder etc.

Reply #17
Please post your energy costs as you gain experience with the system. I would be surprised if you see such a dramatic reduction in the monthly cost, but I'm confident you will enjoy the...

Reply #18
If someone were to be adventurous, the unit could be chopped up to repackage as a lower profile unit suitable for roof or basement mounting.....chop, hack, glue, solder etc.
Check out this...

Reply #19
I like the idea although that guy is an idiot.

He cut the supports for the wall and did not add support. That 2x6 wood frame isn't treated and will be exposed to the elements. It is only a matter of time before it rots and the whole unit starts...

Reply #20
Please post your energy costs as you gain experience with the system. I would be surprised if you see such a dramatic reduction in the monthly cost, but I'm confident you will enjoy the...

Reply #21
I like the idea although that guy is an idiot.

In researching the various units, I've watched a ton of videos and have not seen one that made complete sense!  :facepalm:

Reply #22
I expect the old roof mounted units have a SEER rating of less than 6, possibly far less.  The SEER ratings of  mini splits can go well up into the 20's.  So, as I understand it, making 3-4...

• Texhub
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #23
 Some of you may have seen my expression on the current Rv Ac units. Which are a total screw to us owner operators.
I have paid for 2 of the 12 btu Madea U shaped window Ac units.  Please share ideas of how to use them with our coaches. Even if...

Reply #24
I just sent Eric a long rambling PM, about my thoughts of mini splits. Some of you may have seen my expression on the current Rv Ac units. Which are a total screw to us owner operators.
I have paid...