Skip to main content
Topic: Staying 'Cool' this summer. (Read 11093 times) previous topic - next topic

Staying 'Cool' this summer.

We decided to keep the coach here in Ajo year around and use it as a base since the yearly rate is cheaper than dirt. However, it does get a tad WARM here so I did some research and talked with a friend who's a installer and picked up this do-dad. We're going to try one up forward first and see if it keeps the whole coach (210 sq. feet)  evenly cool. If not, we'll add another in the stern. My buddy says his power bill went from $300.00 a month using roof air (noisy at night) to $60.00 mo. with the '12k btu (quiet as all getout)  heat pump that will cool and heat. Got all the remote bells and whistles I may or may not use, but looks to be the answer. I'm mounting it in the middle, where Brett provided heavy blocking for the fold-down t.v., which we'll not use, but have smaller one on the pull-out. I should get it next week, will post as progress ensues.
1993 U-240 "La Villa Grande"..CAT 3116 w/ Pacbrake PRXB...Allison 3060 6-speed..
Previous: 1983 Airstream 310 turbo diesel, 1979 Airstream 280 turbo diesel
                                      Build # 4297
                                      PNW natives
                      Home base:  'Cactus Hug' (Ajo, Arizona)
                        DW Judy & Chet the wonder dog
                        Full-Timers 'Sailing the asphalt sea'

Re: Staying 'Cool' this summer.

Reply #1
Curious how it works out.
In restless dreams I walked alone.
Narrow streets of cobblestone.

'93 U225
Build 4337
'14 CRV Toad

Reply #2
I would say that is hot! My house and coach never see 75 except in storage where the thermostat is set at 79.  Yes I am one of those people.

We turn our house up to 75 when we go out of town. We keep it around 70 - 71 during the summer.

I like the split systems. I am curious to see your final install and how you run the "plumbing".
2002 U270 34' Build 5953
Cummings ISL400HP
3410 Floor Plan
Longview, TX

Reply #3
I'm sure there will be some head scratching, but my plan is a plywood cover over one of the windows (hoping for the driver's side small one). And not screw the plywood into the rubber molding or the coach, but make some wood keepers on the inside to hold the plywood on. There's a install video in the add , sort of a joke for me and the coach, but I've learned a bit from it: Amazon.com: MRCOOL DIY 12k BTU 22 SEER Ductless Heat Pump Split System 3rd...
1993 U-240 "La Villa Grande"..CAT 3116 w/ Pacbrake PRXB...Allison 3060 6-speed..
                                      Build # 4297
                                      PNW natives

Reply #4
Finally a Ft with a mini split.

I have been reading, watching and learning about them. Watching installs in buildings, boats and Rv also bus mods be it schoolie or bus.

Invalid Page | Indiegogo

I have ordered 2 of the 12000 btu units from above. Watch the videos. Look and listen to DB levels. Living with the horrible roof ac units shoved into our hands is poor usage for return.
Currently I do not know how or where I will install them. Even though the video sez invalid on this post. It works.

I will watch and wait your install.
1999 U270 40 #5518
USN. USPS.

Reply #5
Finally a Ft with a mini split. I have been reading, watching and learning about them. Watching installs in buildings, boats and Rv also bus mods be it schoolie or bus. I will watch and wait your install.

Me too, researched everybody who makes them and MrCool won, for many reasons. I have listened in and out of a 28' trailer while the 12k was running: it satisfies my recording engineer's ears and the DWs very sensitive hearing (think pin-drop!).  ^.^d  Amazon.com: PVC Decorative Line Cover Kit for Ductless Mini Split Air...
                                      Build # 4297
                                      PNW natives

Reply #6
Some people I know who live in an RV year round in Fort Mohave, AZ (120 degree days) swear by their heat pump.
1993 U225
Build #: 4285
500 Watts Solar
Honda CRV AWD
Retired, Snowbird, Full time Off Grid

Reply #7
Curious on how you plan to run the condensate discharge line or if a condensate pump be needed?
If the air is extremely dry there might not be much, but in Texas, we have a steady drip out of our mini-split.
40ft 1997 U320

Reply #8
Interesting.  Await your results. The savings alone will pay for the system quickly. Only works if your not very mobile though. I would mount it on the rear while figuring out a way to open the engine door easier. Have the cold air blow through the back of the coach to cool the bedroom and bath. Tying in to the existing ducts if your coach has them would be another way. Maybe access the ducts from the roof? Some heat shield paint on the roof would help as well.

Welcome to Ajo, Arizona
With its rich tradition as a former copper mining hub, Ajo is a casual town with relaxed charm. Enjoy it's mild climate, low humidity and clear skies. Take in the historic Spanish Colonial Revival architecture, Sonoran Desert flora and fauna and panoramic views.

Adventure awaits with plentiful outdoor activities year-round – golf, hiking, bicycling, bird watching, festivals and events.

Lol. With that mild climate why do you need access?
Also might be cheaper to head up in elevation.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
1500 Watts Solar 600 amp Victron lithium
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #9
I'm sure there will be some head scratching, but my plan is a plywood cover over one of the windows (hoping for the driver's side small one).

I'm a big fan of mini splits as well, installed probably a dozen of them into my and family members houses.  They bat way above their ratings for cooling, I don't doubt a 12K unit will keep your coach pretty cool in the summer.  Not great for heat in my experience, tho.

A couple things you might consider....just thoughts and observations:

The price you show is pretty high compared to what I've paid.  I've been happy with Pioneer units, Amazon sells em.  I strongly suspect they all come off the same assembly line.  Pioneer has been good with warranty support, sending a couple replacement boards at no cost, no questions. 

There are some good alternatives to the wall mount indoor units.  In particular, there is a low wall/floor mount slimline fixture that could be tucked away in living room and bedroom if you want zoned. Here's an example....

Ductless Multi Split Air Conditioning | Heating System | DC Inverter - Highseer

Using one of these would allow you to install a condensing unit in a compartment, Possibly repurposing the large vacant space that holds the often useless coil for dash ac in engine compartment.  Also makes it pretty simple to run lineset along lower bay ceilings. That is, of course, if you want it to be a permanent installation usable on the road.  I don't really see how it will be feasible to remove and store one of these units that is installed through the window.

Most units are, or are transitioning to, 240 volt operation.  Several mfg. are phasing out 120 volt units.  This creates a challenge with our gensets and electrical systems.  Probably a couple ways of dealing with this but not trivial. All the multiple zoned units, afaik, are 240V.

They are delightfully quiet.  They also seem to be somewhat sensitive to power surges.  I'd be sure to have a heart to heart with the dealer to ensure future support.  A positive aspect, if you have to buy replacement boards, is they are inexpensive.....I've never had to pay for one (replaced 3 out of 12 units in last 3 years)  but when I checked they were in the 40.00 range. 

Good luck with it.  I've thought about doing the same and may well do so one day. 
"Not so  long ago we were a nation of risk takers, riding five million pounds of  thrust straight into space."  Joe Gresh
Chuck Pearson
1996 U295
2018 Can Am X3 TurboRS

Reply #10
The condensate will be the easy part, how about the ac lines from the outside to inside unit?How will you mount the outside unit
on the roof, sideways?Agree they are quieter but at some point in the near future they will have one designed for an rv.Have you seen the ones that are like window units that you close the window on?,would check those out.I would check if you can make your
own lines up instead of using the 15 foot stock lines.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #11
Agree with both Chuck and John.  I installed a Pioneer in our house which I agree is a re-branded version and was less than $700 for a 9000 BTU version.  I think part of what makes the unit in the link more  expensive is the special fittings on the line set that makes is easier to install.  I think the line set and the inside unit have been evacuated so you do not need a pump.

On the standard units, you can make up your own  line set if you have a flaring tool and you will need a vacuum pump.  If you make the line set too short (I believe less than 15 ft) you have to remove some of the freon.)  If I recall correctly, the units comes pre-charged for a 15 to 25ft line set.

40ft 1997 U320

Reply #12
Most units are, or are transitioning to, 240 volt operation.  Several mfg. are phasing out 120 volt units.  This creates a challenge with our gensets and electrical systems.  They are delightfully quiet.  They also seem to be somewhat sensitive to power surges.  I'd be sure to have a heart to heart with the dealer to ensure future support.  Good luck with it.  I've thought about doing the same and may well do so one day. 

Ya, the Mrcool unit I got was the ONLY 110v unit they made!  I did see a good bit of info on one of the crazy Utube videos where he'd hooked up to a circuit with a GFI and it was tripping the unit, something I'd had problems with when I installed irrigation controllers. I'll find a non-GFI 110 outlet for the cooler. They also are also susceptible to power surges, but with my Progressive EMS, I'll be protected.  ^.^d  The big deal will be to design the hook-up so it can easily unplugged when we take the coach out. I'm going to mount the compressor on concrete blocks with tie downs. The nice thing, is I've got lots of time to brainstorm (with all of you) a clean, classy install, although I got a warning yesterday: we had our first heat wave, and turned on the rear AC!
                                      Build # 4297
                                      PNW natives

Reply #13

In order to snake the wires/drain into the coach I'll make a plywood cover that fits the driver's side window. In order to avoid drilling screw holes in the coach, I'll make a couple of wood 'keepers' on the inside that will attach to the outside plywood to keep it tight. Looking at this seal and a jig to make the keepers.  GENERAL TOOLS, 837, CONTOUR GAGE, 6-Inch - - Amazon.com

Build # 4297
                                      PNW natives

Reply #14
I would check if you can make your own lines up instead of using the 15 foot stock lines.
The lines are precharged with coolant ergo diy. Installed whole house AC in our house in NH years ago with precharged lines makes it simple to install.

Roland
1993 U280 4341
2010 Jeep Liberty
The Pied Pipers

Reply #15
We decided to keep the coach here in Ajo year around and use it as a base since the yearly rate is cheaper than dirt. However, it does get a tad WARM here so I did some research and talked with a friend who's a installer and picked up this do-dad. We're going to try one up forward first and see if it keeps the whole coach (210 sq. feet)  evenly cool. If not, we'll add another in the stern. My buddy says his power bill went from $300.00 a month using roof air (noisy at night) to $60.00 mo. with the '12k btu (quiet as all getout)  heat pump that will cool and heat.

Please post your energy costs as you gain experience with the system. I would be surprised if you see such a dramatic reduction in the monthly cost, but I'm confident you will enjoy the reduced noise level. Also please let us know how well the conditioned air circulates throughout your rig.
David and Carolyn Osborn
1995 U320C SE 40' Build 4726 Feb 1995
FMCA 147762
Motorcade 17186

Reply #16
If someone were to be adventurous, the unit could be chopped up to repackage as a lower profile unit suitable for roof or basement mounting.....chop, hack, glue, solder etc.
Tim Dianics
Pam Sapienza
Vader PupZilla Labrador Canine (AKA Pup)
Columbia, MO
1996 U320 4000

Reply #17
Please post your energy costs as you gain experience with the system. I would be surprised if you see such a dramatic reduction in the monthly cost, but I'm confident you will enjoy the reduced noise level. Also please let us know how well the conditioned air circulates throughout your rig.

I will, still concerned about getting proper cooling from the front down our narrow hallway to the bedroom. The quote was from my friend who also has a solar panel (not a full array), so that could have contributed to his numbers.
                                      Build # 4297
                                      PNW natives

Reply #18
If someone were to be adventurous, the unit could be chopped up to repackage as a lower profile unit suitable for roof or basement mounting.....chop, hack, glue, solder etc.
Check out this 'project': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE099gEf4f4&feature=youtu.be
                                      Build # 4297
                                      PNW natives

Reply #19
I like the idea although that guy is an idiot.

He cut the supports for the wall and did not add support. That 2x6 wood frame isn't treated and will be exposed to the elements. It is only a matter of time before it rots and the whole unit starts to fall. He also doesn't think 8% blockage is significant. Good thing he has been in the industry for 75 years. Who needs engineers with that type of experience!  His temporary wiring is also that of a professional, his words.  In my industry there is no excuse for lack of safety and doing things correctly. 

If I were to build a bus or redo one of our Foretravels I would be very interested in the split unit inverter driven setup. I haven't looked at the maximum amperage but with all the efficiencies stayed you would expect to be able to run a larger unit for the same amount of power. Being that it is a variable speed compressor you wouldn't necessarily waste energy all the time with a the larger unit since it will only use what it needs.
2002 U270 34' Build 5953
Cummings ISL400HP
3410 Floor Plan
Longview, TX

Reply #20

I expect the old roof mounted units have a SEER rating of less than 6, possibly far less.  The SEER ratings of  mini splits can go well up into the 20's.  So, as I understand it, making 3-4 times more conditioned air per unit of electricity.  If you run resistance heat, the difference of heat pumps is phenomenal, energy wise.  My AC bill for a 3 story house on the Tx. gulf coast was reduced by 2/3 when I changed over from a conventional split system.  This not taking into account we keep the house far colder with the new systems.
"Not so  long ago we were a nation of risk takers, riding five million pounds of  thrust straight into space."  Joe Gresh
Chuck Pearson
1996 U295
2018 Can Am X3 TurboRS

Reply #21
I like the idea although that guy is an idiot.

In researching the various units, I've watched a ton of videos and have not seen one that made complete sense!  :facepalm:
                                      Build # 4297
                                      PNW natives

Reply #22
I expect the old roof mounted units have a SEER rating of less than 6, possibly far less.  The SEER ratings of  mini splits can go well up into the 20's.  So, as I understand it, making 3-4 times more conditioned air per unit of electricity.  If you run resistance heat, the difference of heat pumps is phenomenal, energy wise.

That's why I'm looking forward to waaay lower e-bills:  Federal Tax Credits for Consumer Energy Efficiency | ENERGY STAR
                                      Build # 4297
                                      PNW natives

Reply #23
 Some of you may have seen my expression on the current Rv Ac units. Which are a total screw to us owner operators.
I have paid for 2 of the 12 btu Madea U shaped window Ac units.  Please share ideas of how to use them with our coaches. Even if they are installed at days end. The usage I think after a day of driving would be welcome vice 72 Db drone, vibration of roof Ac.
On a stand alone Ft. How would a 8K and above power tech get 220v.  That's required to really access all models of mini splits. Educate me.
Where to place the outside unit. Ideas.
In place if propane tank.
In a bay
In start battery compartment.
On rear mount. Still allowing engine door to open.
In roof. Behind a  Aerodynamic wind blocker. (Clearance height xx).
Share your ideas. Via fourm here. PM. Or texhub@gmail.com
Thanks all. Mark

I messed up. My message was not sent. So I deleted reference to it.
1999 U270 40 #5518
USN. USPS.

Reply #24
I just sent Eric a long rambling PM, about my thoughts of mini splits. Some of you may have seen my expression on the current Rv Ac units. Which are a total screw to us owner operators.
I have paid for 2 of the 12 btu Madea U shaped window Ac units.  Please share ideas of how to use them with our coaches. Even if they are installed at days end. The usage I think after a day of driving would be welcome vice 72 Db drone, vibration of roof Ac.
On a stand alone Ft. How would a 8K and above power tech get 220v.  That's required to really access all models of mini splits. Educate me.
Where to place the outside unit. Ideas.
In place if propane tank.
In a bay
In start battery compartment.
On rear mount. Still allowing engine door to open.
In roof. Behind a  Aerodynamic wind blocker. (Clearance height xx).
Share your ideas. Via fourm here. PM. Or texhub@gmail.com
Thanks all. Mark

Chuck in reply #9 had some interesting ideas.
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020