Skip to main content

Topic: Rebuilding Aqua Hot (Read 4020 times) previous topic - next topic

Rebuilding Aqua Hot
I finally got a start on the Aqua Hot rebuild this afternoon. I only had a couple of hours today, so not too much progress. I did get the burner removed. I had serviced the unit last year so I was familiar with it. I didn't want to miss anything...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: Rebuilding Aqua Hot
Reply #1
Was guessing 18 gal with all the lines on the inside... its a lot of liquid either way.. Good luck..

Reply #2
I hadn't read anywhere what to expect, boy was I surprised. Probably surprise #1 out of 300 by the time I get done. While the AH is out of the coach, I'm planning on changing the fuel lines.

Larry

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
Might as well (if you can afford) to replace the motors and all the shut off ball valves.. If you think you had any one way valves sticking go ahead and replace those also.. New tempering valve (mine had gunk on the inside I couldnt get out) and...

Reply #4
If you think your labels might come off then buy a pack of colored zip ties and use those to mark your lines. 

Reply #5
David, I'm planning on going thru the entire unit and seeing what looks good and what is kinda iffy. I am a firm believer that it needs fixed right the first time. I'm sure that I don't want to have to remove this again down the road.

Foliver,...

Reply #6
OK, the rain let up a little bit. I was able to get out there for an hour or so. I went back on the lines that I had labeled yesterday and replaced the stickers with tie wraps and labeled paper key tags. I also unwired the main bundle of wires...

Reply #7
Be sure to pinch off the engine coolant loop. I didn't and had way more buckets of coolant than I expected.

Reply #8
Thanks Craneman, that is the type of insight I need.  ^.^d

Larry

• Mark D
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #9
Be sure to pinch off the engine coolant loop. I didn't and had way more buckets of coolant than I expected.

The engine coolant loop is circulated directly with the aquahot coolant?  I figured...

Reply #10
It is separate, but to drain the Aqua Hot to remove it, the hoses have to be pinched off or they drain also.

Reply #11
OK, for today's update.

I decided to remove the exhaust system before the AH was loose. I started the coach, travel light went on and it got to travel height, but no other HWH lights. Wouldn't level, raise, dump, nothing. Time to panic. Went on a...

Reply #12
What's involved with changing out the exhaust to 2 in? is it a 2-in exhaust from the unit? Or are you going from a one and a half inch to a 2-in?
Sounds like something I would do forgetting the salesman switch was off!

Reply #13
Yes it is 1 1/2" nipple to a 1 1/2" elbow to another 1 1/2" nipple to the straight pipe out. I will have to flare up somewhere along the way.

Larry

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #14
Yes it is 1 1/2" nipple to a 1 1/2" elbow to another 1 1/2" nipple to the straight pipe out. I will have to flare up somewhere along the way.

Larry
What is the point in making it bigger? what does...

• Rudy
  • [*]
  • Commercial Member
Reply #15
The 2 inch exhaust currently used by Aqua Hot on new installs breaths better and is a little quieter.  I would not remove a working exhaust to step up to 2 inch but if you are doing something requiring the exhaust removal, then I would with a...

Reply #16
Got up early this morning (2:30) couldn't sleep. After coffee and weather started on the AH. Got the cover removed. Had to chisel the rivets. Every one was loose and just spun in the drill. Found the reason for the water leak. 5 ruptures about 1"...

Reply #17
1/4" size or 1/4" drive 10 mm?

Reply #18
1/4" deep well socket on a 1/4" drive

Larry

Reply #19
Strange 1/4" doesn't match any metric size, and the Aqua Hot is all metric unless some parts were modified.

Reply #20
Not sure why it was there, but it will go with the collection of probably 50 other oddball sockets I seem to have collected over the years  ;D   My guess is that it was supposed to used on a couple of the hose clamps someone had used making their...

Reply #21
Did more cleaning this morning on the unit. I scraped off the old mastic with a stiff putty knife, then I got a wire brush for my 4" grinder and one for the drill and polished it all up. Decided that it looked so good that I took off the...

Reply #22
Buy some thermal wire like used in ovens for the igniter. Has a heat resistant sleeve.

Reply #23
Larry, I've got my popcorn an a cold beverage on this project!  lol

Reply #24
Craneman, will do. It will be worth the upgrade in the long run.

Joe, I hope that the show is enjoyable. I would hate to have a hiccup and you choke on the popcorn :giggle:

Till tomorrow's episode........

Larry