Skip to main content
Topic: Rebuilding Aqua Hot (Read 5169 times) previous topic - next topic

Rebuilding Aqua Hot

I finally got a start on the Aqua Hot rebuild this afternoon. I only had a couple of hours today, so not too much progress. I did get the burner removed. I had serviced the unit last year so I was familiar with it. I didn't want to miss anything so I've take lots of pictures and have labeled some of the lines. I'm not sure how well the stickers will stay, but time will tell. I also got the boiler drained. I can't believe how much water/antifreeze came out. I ran out of containers quickly. I estimate that I have close to 15 gallons of antifreeze out of the boiler unit. I wanted to get that done today with the good weather. Rain is supposed to move in tonight and I don't really want to lay on the wet ground if I don't have to.

As I progress, I will update this topic. Hopefully it will be of benefit to some others. I'm following the lead of others (Matthew, Hawkeye, Cubesphere, Craneman and the expert advice from Rudy) to name just a few. I've had comments and recommendations from others giving me their advice. My sincerest thanks for all your help.

Join the ride. Hopefully it won't be to bumpy.

Larry
Larry Warren
1996  U320 36' SBID "Lola"
Build #4970
Motorcade #18318

Re: Rebuilding Aqua Hot

Reply #1
Was guessing 18 gal with all the lines on the inside... its a lot of liquid either way.. Good luck..

Reply #2
I hadn't read anywhere what to expect, boy was I surprised. Probably surprise #1 out of 300 by the time I get done. While the AH is out of the coach, I'm planning on changing the fuel lines.

Larry
Larry Warren
Build #4970
Motorcade #18318

Reply #3
Might as well (if you can afford) to replace the motors and all the shut off ball valves.. If you think you had any one way valves sticking go ahead and replace those also.. New tempering valve (mine had gunk on the inside I couldnt get out) and I pulled every fitting off and resealed them.. Only think I kinda think I should have down was provide a shut off for each motor so it can be changed without draining the whole system.

Reply #4
If you think your labels might come off then buy a pack of colored zip ties and use those to mark your lines. 
Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
no longer 1999 36' U320 build #5522
2013 Rzr 570 & 2018 Ranger XP1000
2006 Lexus GX470
2011 Tahoe LT 4x4
Previous 1998 45' 2 slide Newell, 1993 39' Newell

Reply #5
David, I'm planning on going thru the entire unit and seeing what looks good and what is kinda iffy. I am a firm believer that it needs fixed right the first time. I'm sure that I don't want to have to remove this again down the road.

Foliver, Thanks for the idea. That is excellent. I was thinking of getting those paper tags with strings attached, but I really like the tie wrap idea better. ^.^d

The rain has set in for the day, I will see how much I can get done. Unfortunately, I don't have a building, just the driveway.

Larry
Larry Warren
Build #4970
Motorcade #18318

Reply #6
OK, the rain let up a little bit. I was able to get out there for an hour or so. I went back on the lines that I had labeled yesterday and replaced the stickers with tie wraps and labeled paper key tags. I also unwired the main bundle of wires going to the relays, power, ground and the different control and thermostat wires. Then the rains came back and the DW is fixing supper. Hopefully tomorrow will be a full day.

BTW, for those who have done this, when the coolant lines are disconnected how much coolant should I expect from each line. The AH manual says that there should be about 2 quarts. I assume this means each line. I just want to be prepared better for this than I was for the boiler. I was scrambling to find containers to hold the antifreeze in yesterday. I bought buckets at Home Depot today. The boiler released 15 gallons of coolant. Yep, I was surprised.

Larrty
Larry Warren
Build #4970
Motorcade #18318

Reply #7
Be sure to pinch off the engine coolant loop. I didn't and had way more buckets of coolant than I expected.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #8
Thanks Craneman, that is the type of insight I need.  ^.^d

Larry
Larry Warren
Build #4970
Motorcade #18318

Reply #9
Be sure to pinch off the engine coolant loop. I didn't and had way more buckets of coolant than I expected.

The engine coolant loop is circulated directly with the aquahot coolant?  I figured they'd be separate loops with a heat exchanger.

Reply #10
It is separate, but to drain the Aqua Hot to remove it, the hoses have to be pinched off or they drain also.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.

Reply #11
OK, for today's update.

I decided to remove the exhaust system before the AH was loose. I started the coach, travel light went on and it got to travel height, but no other HWH lights. Wouldn't level, raise, dump, nothing. Time to panic. Went on a search on the forum. What more praises can I express for those who post their issues and resolutions for those of us to follow up on in a time of crisis. End result............old timers disease. I forgot to turn on the salesman switch.

Raised the coach, put my safety stands under it and removed the exhaust system. A little PB blaster, air impact and dirt in the eyes and it was off. Only lost one bolt to, not bad start for the day. I'm going to have a new exhaust system rebuilt. As per Rudy's suggestion I plan on having it made from 2" pipe instead of the 1 1/2".

Thanks to Craneman's advice, I went to the tractor store and bought 4 more 5 gallon buckets for removing the engine coolant lines. Sure glad that I did. I pinched the lines and the coolant still keeps on coming. I ended up with around 8 gallons of engine coolant. I think that I had so much because my drive slopes to the front of the coach, therefore I was lower than a lot of the engine. That being said, I plan on draining out the rest of the engine coolant and putting in new antifreeze in both the AH boiler and the engine coolant system.

Got all the lines disconnected and discovered to my chagrin that with my coach they installed the AH first and then built the rest of the coach around it. At least it seemed like it. I was able to use a couple of crowbars and get a 3" board under it. I then slid the unit forward and worked the back corner around, rinse and repeat. When it reached it's maximum point, I didn't have 1/16" clearance on the front corner with the left side dragging the edge of the opening. With a little persistence, I worked the unit onto a small 4 wheel furniture  cart, rolled it to the edge and slid it down to the driveway. Got the two wheel dolly and into the garage where it awaits tomorrow and the tear down process.

I do believe that I may get a good nights sleep tonight :))

Questions or comments are appreciated.

Larry
Larry Warren
Build #4970
Motorcade #18318

Reply #12
What's involved with changing out the exhaust to 2 in? is it a 2-in exhaust from the unit? Or are you going from a one and a half inch to a 2-in?
Sounds like something I would do forgetting the salesman switch was off!
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
1500 Watts Solar 600 amp Victron lithium
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #13
Yes it is 1 1/2" nipple to a 1 1/2" elbow to another 1 1/2" nipple to the straight pipe out. I will have to flare up somewhere along the way.

Larry
Larry Warren
Build #4970
Motorcade #18318

Reply #14
Yes it is 1 1/2" nipple to a 1 1/2" elbow to another 1 1/2" nipple to the straight pipe out. I will have to flare up somewhere along the way.

Larry
What is the point in making it bigger? what does it help? Or in other words..What is the benefit?

Reply #15
The 2 inch exhaust currently used by Aqua Hot on new installs breaths better and is a little quieter.  I would not remove a working exhaust to step up to 2 inch but if you are doing something requiring the exhaust removal, then I would with a stainless steel straight out tip.
Rudy Legett
2003 U320 4010 ISM 450 hp
2001 U320 4220 ISM 450 hp
1995 U320 M11 400 hp
1990 Granvilla 300 hp 3208T
Aqua Hot Service Houston and Southeast Texas

Reply #16
Got up early this morning (2:30) couldn't sleep. After coffee and weather started on the AH. Got the cover removed. Had to chisel the rivets. Every one was loose and just spun in the drill. Found the reason for the water leak. 5 ruptures about 1" each. Took my time removing everything and making sure it was tagged and photographed. Had to sweat off 3 lines, cut 1 and unscrewed 2 others.

Disconnected thermostat wires and electric element wire as needed to remove the front inside cover. A lot of the mastic had crumbled off of the unit and was inside the compartment. I am not certain, but it looks like someone has done work on this unit before. The ball valves were newer, the layout was slightly changed from what the AH manual showed and I found a 1/4" deep well socket buried in the debris.

I put a micrometer on the old copper and it showed an outside dimension of .510" . I plan on taking a piece to the local plumbing supply show to match it up for size. I ordered 2 gallons of Thermax 300 heat transfer mastic. Should be here on Monday. I know there was more to tell about the day, but the early morning start has caught up with me and my fried brain. I think I will take a nap now. That's what retired folks do isn't it?

Larry
Larry Warren
Build #4970
Motorcade #18318

Reply #17
1/4" size or 1/4" drive 10 mm?

Reply #18
1/4" deep well socket on a 1/4" drive

Larry
Larry Warren
Build #4970
Motorcade #18318

Reply #19
Strange 1/4" doesn't match any metric size, and the Aqua Hot is all metric unless some parts were modified.

Reply #20
Not sure why it was there, but it will go with the collection of probably 50 other oddball sockets I seem to have collected over the years  ;D  My guess is that it was supposed to used on a couple of the hose clamps someone had used making their connections. Part of why I believe that a previous owner has done some changes in here.

Larry
Larry Warren
Build #4970
Motorcade #18318

Reply #21
Did more cleaning this morning on the unit. I scraped off the old mastic with a stiff putty knife, then I got a wire brush for my 4" grinder and one for the drill and polished it all up. Decided that it looked so good that I took off the thermostats on the front and took the paint off as well. When I'm done with the copper tube and mastic, I will paint the entire unit with a high temp heat. Some of the wires for the thermostats are feeling brittle, so when I go to put it back together, I will make new wires up. I've got things to do tonight, so it was a short day. Won't get the mastic till Monday anyway.

Larry
Larry Warren
Build #4970
Motorcade #18318

Reply #22
Buy some thermal wire like used in ovens for the igniter. Has a heat resistant sleeve.

Reply #23
Larry, I've got my popcorn an a cold beverage on this project!  lol
Joe & Dottie Allen
Sold!  December 2023.      2000 U320; build # 5645
Our coach " Maxine"
Motorcade #  15922;  Escapee 150950; FMCA F330833; Boondockers Welcome;  Harvest Hosts;  Thousand Trails
'98 U320 from 2000-'06
USAF '62-'66

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." ―Epicurus

Reply #24
Craneman, will do. It will be worth the upgrade in the long run.

Joe, I hope that the show is enjoyable. I would hate to have a hiccup and you choke on the popcorn :giggle:

Till tomorrow's episode........

Larry
Larry Warren
Build #4970
Motorcade #18318