Skip to main content
Topic: Video instructions on Steering Box Repair (Read 706 times) previous topic - next topic

Video instructions on Steering Box Repair

See the below video for my recap of the Sheppard Steering Box Repair. Mine was leaking so bad I didn't even wanna get it to the shop 20 miles away, and I had some time so I thought I'd tackle the job. Went well and were back on the road with a rebuild from Redhead Steering Gears. Let me know if you need any further advise happy to help fellow owners with this job.

YouTube link:

https://youtu.be/k1S-SA5ucMI
Tyler & Morgan Baumgardner
Follow our journey, @Travel Baums on Facebook and Instagram
1997 U320 40'
Cummins M11 450 HP

Re: Video instructions on Steering Box Repair

Reply #1
Thanks to David most of us didn't buy the puller, just sent it on to the next member after we were finished. Also I know I wasn't the only one that was able to torque the 350#'s the pitman shaft bolt requires. I was worried that I might be stretching the bolt until Chris let me know that it took a long time to reach the torque when he did his.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #2
After I had my steering box rebuilt from redhead .. it felt the same as before.... Thought I needed an alignment so I waited and worked on other things and we do small trips so it wasnt a real hurry for me.. well you know how it goes .. turned into a little over a year I get it down for an alignment and they said everything was fine...Hmmm.. called Redhead and was told to check a couple things and if that didnt check out I could send it in and have them look at it .. For a price of course.. Less than 4000 miles this last year..

Ohh well. Figured I am going to pull it and replace with the direct replacement M100-pgw1 and go from there.. so far not real happy but with time getting away.. what do you do. I am not one to hassle about money.. I just wont use or recommend a business if I am not happy..

Maybe in a year or 2 I will get around to it.. we will see

Reply #3
David my coach took redoing all the steering parts ends. And redoing the wheel bearings and their preload twice.

If my coach had your miles I would pry around the subframe bushings myself

Check repeatability of the ride height valve.  Dump. Fill. Measure. Repeat......Or you can get some bump steer.

As the design almost eliminates bumpsteer I might look at the bushings especially the panhard rod.  The crossing one(s)

"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #4
David,can talk you thru the subframe bushing replacement and what parts to get,just let me know,it tightened things up a little.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #5
Redhead rebuild fixed the last 1/2" of "dead steer" in my coach. First 1.5" of the original 2" was taken out with quite a few front end parts (tie rod ends, bushings, wheel bearing adjustment etc. ) at MOT and a toe in adjustment when all that was completed.
My main reason for rebuilding the steering box  (RedHead) was so I could do it at my convenience, not as a MidTrip emergency that cost more $$$ in that setting and spoiled my and others fun.
Getting the last 1/2" dead spot gone was icing on the cake.
All took place around 19 years old and 140,000 miles
Tim Fiedler    2000  Foretravel U-320 4010
2000 Chevy Tracker 2 Door Convertible 4WD Now lifted 4.5"
1985 Citroen 2CV6 Charleston
Murphy Rebel on wheels with 175HP Titan
Cessna 185 on Aerocet 3500 straight floats. (1/4 share)
1980 48' Westport MY (!/4 Share)

Reply #6
Thanks for the video.  I was really wondering how to handle this job on my coach which is the same layout as yours.  Ours isn't leaking yet but I imagine it's a matter of time.  One thing you didn't mention is safety stands.  Make sure you have safety stands before crawling under the coach.  The air bags or tires can pop and the coach will drop a lot.  A guy actually died under his wanderlodge from this.  I use the 2" hitch extensions from Harbor freight.

Reply #7
Did the bearings and all steering Joints are new.. Been debating the torque rods (guess you call them that) that keep the coach from twisting.. Kinda on the list.. Right now I am buying other essentials just in case.. Will revisit this issue later when its more convenient and makes sense...

John44 I will hit you up when I get ready but I believe we had a convo about them with regard to raising the coach and so forth.. I think I have a guy in town that can get them but as of right now we are shut down for non essentials.. crazy times..

Reply #8
Foretravel has the bushings, you can salvage most nuts and bolts, you'll need some as you will have to cut some of the bolts in
2 places because the metal bushing that goes around the bolt is rust/welded to the bolt and will not hammer out.Fastenal has the
nuts and bolts, will save shipping as they are heavy.Just do one at a time, will be easier.One coach needs 20 bushings.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #9
Thanks for the video. It convinced me that I should probably pay someone to do that job. I could probably do it but at my age injuries don't heal real well. I thought I would have to take out the generator blower and radiator and all that stuff. Good to know that you don't have to do that. I do have a lot of play in my steering. We'll see how this year goes.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
1500 Watts Solar 600 amp Victron lithium
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #10
If you are doing it yourself, taking out the fan and radiator is the way to go in my opinion. Being able to slide the box out the side door onto a rolling platform saves time in the long run. With a helper maybe cutting the panel would be faster. The box weighs 85 lbs. and I can't one hand it up and stab the splines through the hole by myself. I could slide it back in and accomplish that alone.

Steering box info
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean