Skip to main content

Topic: Video instructions on Steering Box Repair (Read 382 times) previous topic - next topic

Video instructions on Steering Box Repair
See the below video for my recap of the Sheppard Steering Box Repair. Mine was leaking so bad I didn't even wanna get it to the shop 20 miles away, and I had some time so I thought I'd tackle the job. Went well and were back on the road with a...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Video instructions on Steering Box Repair
Reply #1
Thanks to David most of us didn't buy the puller, just sent it on to the next member after we were finished. Also I know I wasn't the only one that was able to torque the 350#'s the pitman shaft bolt requires. I was worried that I might be...

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
After I had my steering box rebuilt from redhead .. it felt the same as before.... Thought I needed an alignment so I waited and worked on other things and we do small trips so it wasnt a real hurry for me.. well you know how it goes .. turned...

Reply #3
David my coach took redoing all the steering parts ends. And redoing the wheel bearings and their preload twice.

If my coach had your miles I would pry around the subframe bushings myself

Check repeatability of the ride height valve.  Dump. Fill....

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
David,can talk you thru the subframe bushing replacement and what parts to get,just let me know,it tightened things up a little.

Reply #5
Redhead rebuild fixed the last 1/2" of "dead steer" in my coach. First 1.5" of the original 2" was taken out with quite a few front end parts (tie rod ends, bushings, wheel bearing adjustment etc. ) at MOT and a toe in adjustment when all that...

• Mark D
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
Thanks for the video.  I was really wondering how to handle this job on my coach which is the same layout as yours.  Ours isn't leaking yet but I imagine it's a matter of time.  One thing you didn't mention is safety stands.  Make sure you have...

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
Did the bearings and all steering Joints are new.. Been debating the torque rods (guess you call them that) that keep the coach from twisting.. Kinda on the list.. Right now I am buying other essentials just in case.. Will revisit this issue...

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
Foretravel has the bushings, you can salvage most nuts and bolts, you'll need some as you will have to cut some of the bolts in
2 places because the metal bushing that goes around the bolt is rust/welded to the bolt and will not hammer...

Reply #9
Thanks for the video. It convinced me that I should probably pay someone to do that job. I could probably do it but at my age injuries don't heal real well. I thought I would have to take out the generator blower and radiator and all that stuff....

Reply #10
If you are doing it yourself, taking out the fan and radiator is the way to go in my opinion. Being able to slide the box out the side door onto a rolling platform saves time in the long run. With a helper maybe cutting the panel would be faster....