Skip to main content
Topic: Rebuilding 2001 10KW Powertech Generator (Read 1163 times) previous topic - next topic

Rebuilding 2001 10KW Powertech Generator

My stator and rotor  are inop and need to be replaced (or possibly rebuilt?).  The diesel engine and other components are in excellent condition.  We use our gen during the summer on long weekends off grid at roadrace tracks around the NW.

Am looking for information on components from various years that will work to replace mine.  Does anyone have any Powertech parts info that show what years the Stator & Rotor components fit?  According to Foretravel, Powertech no longer has parts available for 2004 or older gensets.

Have found a 95 stator from a forum member and need to know if it will work for my 01?

Any parts available to get this repair done would be greatly appreciated.

Also looking for Tech Help on doing the repairs.  Am shade tree mech, but have no experience doing a Genset repair.  Have read that just changing control components can destroy a gen if done wrong.  Know for a fact this is true based on experience with a Pro who does these repairs. 

We are sitting out the No Move Program  in Pahrump NV before heading to WA Coast for Summer.  Am happy to pay a qualified tech to do these repairs if we find parts.

Have plenty of time to sit here on the web and research this--all suggestions gratefully considered.

Ralph & Sandy.
Ralph & Sandy
Full Time RVers  June 2015
'01 320 Single Slide 40'  450 Cummins--Turtle
24' Haulmark Race Trailer
Full Time Driver & Part Time Flat Toad-- '16 Fusion Hybrid

Re: Rebuilding 2001 10KW Powertech Generator

Reply #1
Call and talk to the tech at Powertech,he can answer all of those questions in 5 minutes,how do you know the rotor and stator are
no good?
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #2
X2 talk to Jeff at Power Tech. I'm sure they have parts for your gen set. I just got voltage reg and other pieces my 99 vintage. They can also tell you where to find a PT APPROVED repair shop. Like 44 says how do you know the rotor and stator are bad? As you are likely aware those are pricey parts. Mine was making no power it was the voltage regulator. Try calling these folks from PTs web site. Loftin Equipment (Mobile)
Mobile Service Only
Las Vegas, NV 88901
800-437-4376
Bruce, Linda, and Macy
Zoey RIP 1/20/19
1999 U295 40' build #5400
2017 silver Jeep Wrangler, 1260 watts of solar on top
Moving around the country

Reply #3
Stopped in Albuquerque at Powertech shop.  They did tests and said it needed to come apart, major issue.  Couldn't schedule at that time.

Stopped in at Foretravel for 20 year maintenance items.  They tested and talked with Powertech.  Determined needed new stator & Rotor.  Powertech has no more components in stock and are no longer supporting components for 2004 and earlier Gens.  Only option for Foretravel is to replace with complete new Powertech or Cummins unit.

We use our gen on 2-4 day off grid weekends during about 4 months of summer.  150-200 hrs max for summer.  Currently has 2625 hrs and Diesel excellent shape.  First major gen service is replacing rotor bearings at 3k hrs.  So everything should be very good with replacing burned out rotor & stator, effectively fresh unit.  Always prefer repairing quality components rather than replacing with new throw away systems.  (The reason we have a 2001 Foretravel.)

Need new or exc condition used Rotor & Stator to fit our unit.  Have found forum member with Stator that fits a 1995 10kw Powertech.    Will buy it if it fits. 

Thanks for replies--still looking for info during Virus crisis as long as web works.  good luck to all where ever sitting it out!
Ralph & Sandy

Reply #4
Have you asked for the complete head assembly? They stocked it when I needed it.  Around $3,000.00.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #5
Thanks, will try that if they are operating this week.
Ralph & Sandy

Reply #6
Try calling Bradleys generator repair in Portland tx,(near corpus),they may be able to rebuild yours.Just curious but what maintenance is on a 20 year schedule?
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #7
Bet you the parts are out there. Don't take the word of the first couple of new age key puncher's you talk to as gospel..
Dub McBride 1996 270

Reply #8
When mine quit working about ten years ago, a local PT shop rewound the rotor. Most problems are repairable.
Tom Lang K6PG (originally  KC6UEC)
and Diane Lang
2003 38 U295 build 6209
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Ecodiesel
still have tow-ready 2006 Acura MDX 
Temple City, California
Motorcade 16681 California Chapter President
SKP 16663 member of SKP Park of the Sierra, Coarsegold California
FMCA F071251
Retired electrical and electronic engineer

Reply #9
Appreciate the comments, that is what I wanted to do while sequestered here in NV for next month or 2.

Networking with all you experienced good people who know how to get things done.  No way am I throwing away the great little diesel gen pkg because of gen side giving out.  There are techs out there than can take this apart and troubleshoot the individuals issues.  Just finding a good one between me and the NW summer is what I hope to do.

But replacing the whole powerhead would certainly bring me up to date if that turns out to be available.

Thanks Again--Ralph
Ralph & Sandy

Reply #10
Try calling Bradleys generator repair in Portland tx,(near corpus),they may be able to rebuild yours.Just curious but what maintenance is on a 20 year schedule?
What I like to do at about 20 years is replace airbags and windshield seals {if not done recently} and have factory do a complete checkover.

Thanks for note about Bradleys, am heading opposite direction, but keep it in mind.--
Ralph & Sandy

Reply #11
I replaced the entire pancake and regulator on my generator assembly last year.  You can order from Power Tech or from Marathon.
John M.
John & Carm Morales

"We travel not to go anywhere, but to just go.  We travel for travel's sake.  Our great desire is to move."

Reply #12
I replaced the entire pancake and regulator on my generator assembly last year.  You can order from Power Tech or from Marathon.
John M.
thanks John, will also check with Marathon for parts
Ralph & Sandy

Reply #13
Bet you the parts are out there. Don't take the word of the first couple of new age key puncher's you talk to as gospel..
Thanks Dub--looks like you are right with all the leads coming in
Ralph & Sandy

Reply #14
Have you gone on the powerTech website? I've got various parts this fall for my 98 8KW. Jeff at powerTech is the expert. In the last year and a half I replaced a voltage regulator, thermostat, belts, hoses, filters, and rubber mounting pads. All sourced from powerTech .
1998 36 foot U270 Build No. 5328 WTFE, 900 watts solar, Victron controller, B2B, bat monitor, 600 AMPH lithium with 2018 Chevy Colorado toad, SKP #110239, Motorcade #17781, retired and full-timer since Dec. 2020. Part of RV family since 1963.

Reply #15
Have you gone on the powerTech website? I've got various parts this fall for my 98 8KW. Jeff at powerTech is the expert. In the last year and a half I replaced a voltage regulator, thermostat, belts, hoses, filters, and rubber mounting pads. All sourced from powerTech .

Sent 2 requests for parts and service to PT over weekend.    Will call and talk to Jeff direct if he is available this week.  Also have Marathon recommended by forum member, will be checking with them also once I have better understanding of parts options from Jeff. 

Also looking for qualified Tech around current location --S NV.  Will be heading to WA Coast once travel opens up and would go to best shop on road if not found here.  Thanks for feedback.
Ralph & Sandy

Reply #16
CANCEL THIS SUBJECT!

Talked with Parts at Powertech, referred to Jeff for my specific generator.    No Powerheads or necessary rebuild components for my unit.  Only option would be to find a Fabrication Shop with a qualified Engineer wiling to adapt one of the other available Complete Powerheads to my engine and compartment.  That would be all custom work and about 1 week labor.

SOL with this Ser # generator! 

Anyone  need a great engine and other usable auto switch components with only 2625 hrs? 

Am going to research  --

HOME | pdgenerators

--US built units to see if they might have components that can be adapted to my compartment.  Options and prices considerably better than old big name units all being built in China now.

Thanks for the help, closing this subject--Ralph

Ralph & Sandy

Reply #17
Don't give up yet.

https://generators.visonerv.com/cgi-bin/f/powertechgenerators.pl?
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #18
How about RV salvage yards like

Colaw RV | Used RV Parts & RV Salvage | North America's Largest RV Salvage
Tim Fiedler    2000  Foretravel U-320 4010
2000 Chevy Tracker 2 Door Convertible 4WD Now lifted 4.5"
1985 Citroen 2CV6 Charleston
Murphy Rebel on wheels with 175HP Titan
Cessna 185 on Aerocet 3500 straight floats. (1/4 share)
1980 48' Westport MY (!/4 Share)

Reply #19
Talk to "Welder Up" in Las Vegas, they  will grab that engine. Love them 4 cyl. diesels for their rat rods.
Chris and Tammy White  CDA Idaho
Previous owners 1997 U295 36' 3126 Cat 300 HP Build # 4998
Former Foretravel tech & RVIA certified tech
Former owner Custom Satellite home/RV satellites 
Former owner Vans LTD  van conversions
Unemployed, panhandler, drag racer NHRA #6348

Reply #20
Good ideas-- thanks.

Visone had junk last time I looked, currently has 2 good units in stock.  Unfortunately only about 30% below new units that would come with warrantee.  Can buy new Kabota PDG units for same price as used from Visone.  Don't know if Visone has better wholesale numbers for business customers.

Going to let the dust settle again and look at options
Ralph & Sandy

Reply #21
Saw a couple on Ebay.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #22
I just had Eurton Electric in California rewind my Onan rotor and it looks better than new.  Motor Catalog: Armatures | Eurton Electric
Dave and Kelli
1997 U295 40' Build #5188 CSGI
1995 U240 36' Build #4621 SBID-SOLD
2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Reply #23
I just had Eurton Electric in California rewind my Onan rotor and it looks better than new.  Motor Catalog: Armatures | Eurton Electric

Thanks Dave--will make a note.  Am trying to identify real Gen Service operations  between Vegas and WA Coast that really do troubleshooting and repairs.  Research for now on resources until things open back up to get rolling.
Ralph & Sandy

Reply #24
2600 hours is relatively low to be needing all they say yours needs. Same hours as mine.. Force me to buy a new unit to stay with their brand and it would likely be a Kubota driven Onan that replaces mine.Won't dance with the same clowns many times
Dub McBride 1996 270