Skip to main content

Topic: Rebuilding 2001 10KW Powertech Generator (Read 768 times) previous topic - next topic

• rfrum
  • [*]
Rebuilding 2001 10KW Powertech Generator
My stator and rotor  are inop and need to be replaced (or possibly rebuilt?).  The diesel engine and other components are in excellent condition.   We use our gen during the summer on long weekends off grid at roadrace tracks around the NW.

Am...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: Rebuilding 2001 10KW Powertech Generator
Reply #1
Call and talk to the tech at Powertech,he can answer all of those questions in 5 minutes,how do you know the rotor and stator are
no good?

• bbeane
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
X2 talk to Jeff at Power Tech. I'm sure they have parts for your gen set. I just got voltage reg and other pieces my 99 vintage. They can also tell you where to find a PT APPROVED repair shop. Like 44 says how do you know the rotor and stator are...

• rfrum
  • [*]
Reply #3
Stopped in Albuquerque at Powertech shop.  They did tests and said it needed to come apart, major issue.  Couldn't schedule at that time.

Stopped in at Foretravel for 20 year maintenance items.  They tested and talked with Powertech.  Determined...

Reply #4
Have you asked for the complete head assembly? They stocked it when I needed it.  Around $3,000.00.

• rfrum
  • [*]
Reply #5
Thanks, will try that if they are operating this week.

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
Try calling Bradleys generator repair in Portland tx,(near corpus),they may be able to rebuild yours.Just curious but what maintenance is on a 20 year schedule?

• Dub
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
Bet you the parts are out there. Don't take the word of the first couple of new age key puncher's you talk to as gospel..

Reply #8
When mine quit working about ten years ago, a local PT shop rewound the rotor. Most problems are repairable.

• rfrum
  • [*]
Reply #9
Appreciate the comments, that is what I wanted to do while sequestered here in NV for next month or 2.

Networking with all you experienced good people who know how to get things done.   No way am I throwing away the great little diesel gen pkg...

• rfrum
  • [*]
Reply #10
Try calling Bradleys generator repair in Portland tx,(near corpus),they may be able to rebuild yours.Just curious but what maintenance is on a 20 year schedule?
What I like to do at about 20 years...

Reply #11
I replaced the entire pancake and regulator on my generator assembly last year.  You can order from Power Tech or from Marathon.
John M.

• rfrum
  • [*]
Reply #12
I replaced the entire pancake and regulator on my generator assembly last year.  You can order from Power Tech or from Marathon.
John M.
thanks John, will also check with Marathon for parts

• rfrum
  • [*]
Reply #13
Bet you the parts are out there. Don't take the word of the first couple of new age key puncher's you talk to as gospel..
Thanks Dub--looks like you are right with all the leads coming in

Reply #14
Have you gone on the powerTech website? I've got various parts this fall for my 98 8KW. Jeff at powerTech is the expert. In the last year and a half I replaced a voltage regulator, thermostat, belts, hoses, filters, and rubber mounting pads. All...

• rfrum
  • [*]
Reply #15
Have you gone on the powerTech website? I've got various parts this fall for my 98 8KW. Jeff at powerTech is the expert. In the last year and a half I replaced a voltage regulator, thermostat,...

• rfrum
  • [*]
Reply #16
CANCEL THIS SUBJECT!

Talked with Parts at Powertech, referred to Jeff for my specific generator.    No Powerheads or necessary rebuild components for my unit.   Only option would be to find a Fabrication Shop with a qualified Engineer wiling to...

Reply #17

Reply #18

Reply #19
Talk to "Welder Up" in Las Vegas, they  will grab that engine. Love them 4 cyl. diesels for their rat rods.

• rfrum
  • [*]
Reply #20
Good ideas-- thanks.

Visone had junk last time I looked, currently has 2 good units in stock.   Unfortunately only about 30% below new units that would come with warrantee.   Can buy new Kabota PDG units for same price as used from Visone.   Don't...

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #21
Saw a couple on Ebay.

Reply #22
I just had Eurton Electric in California rewind my Onan rotor and it looks better than new.  Motor Catalog: Armatures | Eurton Electric

• rfrum
  • [*]
Reply #23
I just had Eurton Electric in California rewind my Onan rotor and it looks better than new.  Motor Catalog: Armatures | Eurton Electric

Thanks Dave--will make a note.   Am trying to identify...

• Dub
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #24
2600 hours is relatively low to be needing all they say yours needs. Same hours as mine.. Force me to buy a new unit to stay with their brand and it would likely be a Kubota driven Onan that replaces mine.Won't dance with the same clowns many times