Skip to main content
Topic: smelling coolant (Read 651 times) previous topic - next topic

smelling coolant

smell coolant very strong in the vicinity of the hot water heater on my '94 280 w Cummins 8.3 ...suspect the engine heat system of the hot water heater leaking, any way to isolate..valves to close etc?

thanks in advance
1994 U280 Unihome Grand Villa aka "Lazy Dayzz"                                              Cummins 300hp
    Allison 6 speed

Previous coaches:
1984 Revcon Duke 29 aka: "The General"
1984 VW Westfalia
1976 VW Westfalia

Re: smelling coolant

Reply #1
Not familiar with your Cummins but on the Detroit Diesels there are 2 valves on the engine block that can shut off the coolant flow that goes to the water heater, if you have that option on your water heater. 
Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
no longer 1999 36' U320 build #5522
2013 Rzr 570 & 2018 Ranger XP1000
2006 Lexus GX470
2011 Tahoe LT 4x4
Previous 1998 45' 2 slide Newell, 1993 39' Newell

Reply #2
Not familiar with your Cummins but on the Detroit Diesels there are 2 valves on the engine block that can shut off the coolant flow that goes to the water heater, if you have that option on your water heater. 
yes, I have that option....anybody on the Cummins?
1994 U280 Unihome Grand Villa aka "Lazy Dayzz"                                              Cummins 300hp
    Allison 6 speed

Previous coaches:
1984 VW Westfalia
1976 VW Westfalia

Reply #3
If your coach MotorAid water heater plumbing is still factory stock, you should have one water hose valve on the wall in the vicinity of the water pump and water heater.  Closing this valve diverts coolant flow around the water heater to increase flow to the dash heater/defroster unit.

Unfortunately, the valve only closes one hose going to the water heater, so it does not completely isolate the water heater coolant loop.  My engine does not have any valves at the engine to shut off coolant flow going forward to the water heater and dash heater/defroster. 

I have had several instances of leaks where the the MotorAid rubber hoses connect to our water heater.  They are attached to pipe nipples, and probably held in place with simple worm gear drive clamps.  These clamps will loosen over time, especially if the ambient air temps are swinging between hot and cold.

Try reaching up behind the water heater and see if you can find the two clamps with your fingers.  If they are leaking, you will feel the wet sticky coolant.  It is hard to reach them, but not impossible.  If they are loose, tightening them up will often stop the leak.  I finally ended up placing a second clamp on each hose.  This solved my coolant "leakage" problem.

If they have been leaking for a while, the coolant has probably soaked into the insulating blanket around the water heater.  If so, even after you stop the leak, you will still smell the coolant stink every time you open the bay door.  Only fix for that is totally replacing the insulation, which would probably require removal of the water heater.

I cut a inspection port in the bay wall of our coach.  It gives much better access to the area behind the water heater.

Behind the Water Heater Access Port
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #4
If your coach MotorAid water heater plumbing is still factory stock, you should have one water hose valve on the wall in the vicinity of the water pump and water heater.  Closing this valve diverts coolant flow around the water heater to increase flow to the dash heater/defroster unit.

Unfortunately, the valve only closes one hose going to the water heater, so it does not completely isolate the water heater coolant loop.  My engine does not have any valves at the engine to shut off coolant flow going forward to the water heater and dash heater/defroster. 

I have had several instances of leaks where the the MotorAid rubber hoses connect to our water heater.  They are attached to pipe nipples, and probably held in place with simple worm gear drive clamps.  These clamps will loosen over time, especially if the ambient air temps are swinging between hot and cold.

Try reaching up behind the water heater and see if you can find the two clamps with your fingers.  If they are leaking, you will feel the wet sticky coolant.  It is hard to reach them, but not impossible.  If they are loose, tightening them up will often stop the leak.  I finally ended up placing a second clamp on each hose.  This solved my coolant "leakage" problem.

If they have been leaking for a while, the coolant has probably soaked into the insulating blanket around the water heater.  If so, even after you stop the leak, you will still smell the coolant stink every time you open the bay door.  Only fix for that is totally replacing the insulation, which would probably require removal of the water heater.

I cut a inspection port in the bay wall of our coach.  It gives much better access to the area behind the water heater.

Behind the Water Heater Access Port

thanks, ill have a look, just started so possibly no collateral damage, will update
    Allison 6 speed

Previous coaches:
1984 VW Westfalia
1976 VW Westfalia

Reply #5
Indeed, look at the back of the water heater.  May be nothing more than a hose clamp or cracked hose that you could splice using a barb to barb fitting and short piece of new hose. That is at least as likely as a bad water heater.
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #6
Thanks, will do
    Allison 6 speed

Previous coaches:
1984 VW Westfalia
1976 VW Westfalia

Reply #7
If it gets to be an emergency and no valves:

jk

Jack and Cathy
1992 U280 Unihome 36' Build #4034
Cummins 8.3 /  Allison MT647/ PacBrake
Apopka, FL / Barre Center, NY

Reply #9
going to order those hose pliers today. Look like a must tool to keep in the mh
1996 U295-36, Cummins 300hp, 8.3. Build number 4864. Vin number 1F97D536XTNO54271. Purchased October 31, 2019.

Reply #10

Just a cheaper set of pincher clamps giving options for tighter area.

OEMTOOLS 24689 3 Piece Hose Pinching Pliers Set | Mechanics Tool for Clamping Fuel, Bake, Coolant, Vacuum Hoses During Engine Work | Powerful & Easy to Use Engine Tools | Mess Free | Green in Color Amazon.com: OEMTOOLS 24689 3 Piece Hose Pinching Pliers Set | Mechanics Tool...
Chuck Wiggy
Coloma, Wisconsin
Sold my 1999 U 320 40 Ft. M11 450 hp
Build # 5468
2009 Silverado

Reply #11
Closed the valve, will have a look at things when it's nicer outside, thanks for the replies
    Allison 6 speed

Previous coaches:
1984 VW Westfalia
1976 VW Westfalia