Skip to main content

Topic: Dry camping battery storage (Read 410 times) previous topic - next topic

Dry camping battery storage
Ok. I have 4 wet batteries, 6v, 100 watt solar and was wondering if anyone has an idea of how often to run the generator for lights and radio and maybe a few hours of dvd per day. I'm thinking I'm good for a week if it's sunny. I'll run the genny...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Dry camping battery storage
Reply #1
200 to 300 watts minimum for summertime, your 100 watts would be useful for maintaining battery voltage from parasitic loads only.

Reply #2
Short of installing a recording wattmeter and calibrating it every few months the only cheap way is to install a voltmeter reading in 0.1 or to say tenths of the volt.  Check the battery voltage first thing in the morning before you add any load...

Reply #3
I tried getting by at BLM land with 100 watts in late July with full sun two years ago. No go, had to run the generator each day at least an hour. I have 480 amp hours of wet cell, so only about 200 - 220 amp hours capacity.

Reply #4
I would consider 100 watts solar as almost no solar. Not much to count on. Using a simple calculation 100w /13v =7.7amps only when sun is shining and only if overhead, something that does not happen.

Keep in mind that solar watt ratings are never...

Reply #5
 I've always been told generators need to be used. This one has 1700 hours and runs great! 8D batteries are much to heavy and pricey for me. I'll stick with the Lifeline/lifetime AGM 4d batteries because of weight and cost. I actually had 2...

Reply #6
I've always been told generators need to be used. This one has 1700 hours and runs great! 8D batteries are much to heavy and pricey for me. I'll stick with the Lifeline/lifetime AGM 4d...

Reply #7
WOW! Never heard of only needing water twice a year. That's good. Seems to be a multitude of how high you fill the batteries with distilled water. What is your opinions. My Trojan dealer only wants the plates covered, no more. He said to high is...

Reply #8
Every apparatus had a service day once a week. We kept the plates covered plus enough to get a hydrometer reading. The reserve trucks didn't get much driving time so would usually require the charger be plugged in. At the inside mild...

Reply #9
WOW! Never heard of only needing water twice a year. That's good. Seems to be a multitude of how high you fill the batteries with distilled water. What is your opinions. My Trojan dealer...

Reply #10
Excellent. I'll keep them above the plates only. Yes, motorcycle-lawn mower batteries are tough. The gel's have fixed my isuues in the motorcycles along with the no need to add water. Love them
Thanks folks