Skip to main content
Topic: Toad hook up equip (Read 806 times) previous topic - next topic

Toad hook up equip

Towing a 2014 ford 150 Eco boost. I need the base plate and breaking system. I have the Blue ox tow bar. I have 2.quotes one for 3100 from state trailer near surprise AZ and 2800 from b and m in Glendale AZ. Would it be possible and safe to pick up this equip used and have it put in by qualified mechanic?  I would prefer the breaking system you would plug cigarette lighter. I guess there would be no way for me to tell if the used breaking system was functional until it was hooked.  Trying to save some money if I can and still be safe. Any and all suggestions are appreciated
Bob and Carol Cox
1987 gv 36 ft dp
Cat 3208t
2013 tundra crew cab lift

Re: Toad hook up equip

Reply #1
Towing a 2014 ford 150 Eco boost. I need the base plate and breaking system. I have the Blue ox tow bar. I have 2.quotes one for 3100 from state trailer near surprise AZ and 2800 from b and m in Glendale AZ. Would it be possible and safe to pick up this equip used and have it put in by qualified mechanic?  I would prefer the breaking system you would plug cigarette lighter. I guess there would be no way for me to tell if the used breaking system was functional until it was hooked.  Trying to save some money if I can and still be safe. Any and all suggestions are appreciated
What's the towing capacity of your rig?  You might be too close or maybe even over.

I paid about $3400 for all of that including wiring for the taillights and a charger for the toad, so your prices are pretty close.  All of this is do-it-yourself stuff, but you have to either have one to compare to or have done it already to know what you're looking at.  I would have no hesitation using used equipment if I'd been able to know what I needed, could find it, and knew it would work together.  Now that I've seen everything, I could do it myself used for maybe $1500.
Rick and Donna
1997 U320 4000 WTBI Build 5152 "Molesley"

Reply #2
Check with U-Haul if there is a large one close. Their shop charge was $50.00 per hour. They did mine for about half what a RV dealer charges. The one I used wouldn't work on or install any thing with air brakes. I have the Air Force One braking system. I even bought the base plates and lighting harness from them for just a little more than I found them on E-Bay.
Just my two cents
Ron Clark
Sherwood,Arkansas
1999 U 295 40 foot Build # 5550
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Motorcade # 18173
FMCA # F485593

Reply #3
Sorry. I should have mentioned I will be towing with a 40 safaris Serengeti 350 Cummings. Thanks for keeping inline. I thought I had enough power for towing so I did not mention it. But you never know sometimes until it is passed through the experts here. Thanks
Bob and Carol Cox
1987 gv 36 ft dp
Cat 3208t
2013 tundra crew cab lift

Reply #4
I've installed baseplates on 2 Jeep Liberty's, 1 Mazda Miata, 2 Chevy Silverados, and 1 Tahoe.  Not difficult if you're somewhat inclined.  No more difficult than doing many projects on a FT.  You'll save a bunch of money.  Baseplates usually can be bought for under $500.
Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
no longer 1999 36' U320 build #5522
2013 Rzr 570 & 2018 Ranger XP1000
2006 Lexus GX470
2011 Tahoe LT 4x4
Previous 1998 45' 2 slide Newell, 1993 39' Newell

Reply #5
Go to Etrailer and see if they show an install video for your car. I bought a blue ox base plate from them and installed it after watching the video a couple of times. Saved at least a grand doing my own install. A Ford F150 might be easier than a passenger car or my Chevy Colorado which required removing the front plastic bumper cover and part of the grill. Also had to do some surgery on it with tin snips and razor knife.
1998 36 foot U270 Build No. 5328 WTFE, 900 watts solar, Victron controller, B2B, bat monitor, 600 AMPH lithium with 2018 Chevy Colorado toad, SKP #110239, Motorcade #17781, retired and full-timer since Dec. 2020. Part of RV family since 1963.

Reply #6
I've had Blue Ox baseplates installed on two vehicles. In each case one person could do most of the work but there were times when a second person was needed to hold or help lift something. Check with Blue Ox, but I think that when you buy the baseplate from them you get step-by-step instructions. Be aware that your vehicle will be "in surgery" for a day or two.

Reply #7
I ordered the base plates from etrailer, free shipping and I believe no sales tax as well.  Depends on what state they are shipping to.  I bought a used Blue Ox tow bar from a guy on craiglist for $100 and like brand new.  No, it was not stolen, he used it to pull a vehicle he had down to Florida and that was it.  I installed this myself on a 2018 Chevy Equinox and watched a few youtube video and all good.  See if there is a video on your truck with base plate install and save a bunch!  Good luck!  I know the truck would be a lot easier than my Equinox, as I had to basically remove the front end on my car and still had the install done in one day.  I did have my brother in law assist, as it is wise to have two people to handle the bar, etc.
Joe & Dottie Allen
Sold!  December 2023.      2000 U320; build # 5645
Our coach " Maxine"
Motorcade #  15922;  Escapee 150950; FMCA F330833; Boondockers Welcome;  Harvest Hosts;  Thousand Trails
'98 U320 from 2000-'06
USAF '62-'66

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." ―Epicurus

Reply #8
Regarding the braking system.  Look at ready brake, I installed mine myself.  Easy to do.  It is a surge brake system, but I have used mine for 3 years and still happy with it.

Manufacturer of the Ready Brute Elite tow bar and the Ready Brake

this is the braking system without the tow bar.

Supplemental Brake Systems
1998 U320 40'
2005 GMC Yukon
MC# 17609

Reply #9
As has been said. The difficulty of a baseplate install depends greatly on the vehicle. The experienced shop I used was cursing by the time my Subaru crosstrek was done. Nearly the whole front end had to be removed. He said it was the hardest baseplate install he had ever done.

The baseplate is Blue ox and a ready brute tow bar. But as the sooby is under 3K lbs. I keep the brake cable loose.
Jerry & Nona and Kimeru the cat that thinks she's a dog
1998 36' WTFE U320  #5314 Motorcade #17711
USAF 1975-1995
2019 Subaru Crosstrek 'toad'
2003 Subaru Legacy touring car
jerry Fincher | Flickr

Reply #10
Here's the Blueox install instructions from their website:  https://assets.rigidhitch.com/Blue_Ox/BX2681.pdf
Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
no longer 1999 36' U320 build #5522
2013 Rzr 570 & 2018 Ranger XP1000
2006 Lexus GX470
2011 Tahoe LT 4x4
Previous 1998 45' 2 slide Newell, 1993 39' Newell

Reply #11
I'm on my second Roadmaster Sterling tow bar.  I wore out the first one.  Be careful buying used.  You have to know how much wear is too much.
Regards,
Brett

'99 42' Foretravel Xtreme
'14 Brown Motorsports Stacker
'05 Chevy SSR
'02 BMW R1150R

Reply #12
I've installed Blue Ox baseplates on two different vehicles by myself. In both cases the installation took a couple of days. Both were straightforward and while I could have used some help at some points it was no problem by myself. I really like the entire Blue Ox system
David and Carolyn Osborn
1995 U320C SE 40' Build 4726 Feb 1995
FMCA 147762
Motorcade 17186

Reply #13
Regarding the braking system.  Look at ready brake, I installed mine myself.  Easy to do.  It is a surge brake system, but I have used mine for 3 years and still happy with it.

Manufacturer of the Ready Brute Elite tow bar and the Ready Brake

this is the braking system without the tow bar.

Supplemental Brake Systems
If my coach had not been already set up with the air force one system and the toad parts came with the coach purchase I might have gone with this. I am not sure if my system works with just activating the retarder. With Ready Brake it would work any time. I am towing a 2500 Ram diesel truck. I know I should go smaller and lighter but I sure like the truck and I think I have to have a truck.
Just my two cents 
Ron Clark
Sherwood,Arkansas
1999 U 295 40 foot Build # 5550
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Motorcade # 18173
FMCA # F485593

Reply #15

Bob I just recently installed the ready brake breakaway system on my toad. 2006 Dodge Ram 3500. This is just the breakaway system. I felt it was a good value and reasonable to install. This is the emergency backup system only. Only operates when all else has failed. One time use. It is resettable.
Amazon.com: NSA RV Products RS-5000 Break Away Device: Automotive
I don't prefer the rest of there surge system because I don't want the toad brakes actuating with the retarder. I only want brakes on when coach brakes are applied. IMO surge brakes are technically approved but are not for me. The roadmaster brakemaster  for air brake applications makes more sense to me.
Amazon.com: Roadmaster 9160 Brakemaster Towed Car Braking System: Automotive
Scott

Scott and Kim Davidson
If you're going to be dumb, you got to be tough.
DEGOIWKY
Don't ever get old, it will kill you
June 30, 2020
2001 U320 3610 Barn find
Build 5834

Reply #16
I looked for a used tow bar and hitch plate (didn't find one I was comfortable with) but wanted the supplemental brakes to be new for piece of mind. I wanted an AFO brake. I wouldn't have thought twice about buying a used hitch plate. The manufacturers will rebuilt a used towbar to new standards.

I watched Craig's List and EBay for used equipment.

I did save money buying all of parts myself. I brought everything with me to a trusted shop for installation.
1993 U300 40ft GV SE
Build # 4344

Western NC mountains

Reply #17
Back when we were looking for a baseplate for our Geo Tracker we stopped at the Blue Ox factory. Took the tour. The girl that took us around  that, after my remarks, said that I knew more about their equipment than she did.
Anyway, we got a Blue Ox Advanta(?) from a friend and wanted a baseplate. Blue Ox said they only were making 18" spacing on their baseplates now. I had one made for 24" spacing about 8 years ago and it is still working great.
Nitehawk,  Demolition Lady, & our NEW master, Zippy the speeding BB cat.
1989 Grand Villa 36' ORED
Oshkosh chassis, 8.2 DD V8
2006 Saturn Vue AWD

Reply #18
Bob I just recently installed the ready brake breakaway system on my toad. 2006 Dodge Ram 3500.

I don't prefer the rest of there surge system because I don't want the toad brakes actuating with the retarder. I only want brakes on when coach brakes are applied. IMO surge brakes are technically approved but are not for me. The roadmaster brakemaster  for air brake applications makes more sense to me.

Scott, my toad is a little over 10% of my GVWR.  Breakaway is fine and necessary, but I'm also concerned about being able to panic stop when I need it.  I don't want a 10% increase in my stopping distance.  My RVibrake is a surge system and it has an "emergency only" mode just for that.  I agree, when going down a mountain, I don't want the toad accidentally braking all the way down just because it was feeling the surge, but I still want as short of a stopping distance as I can get.  I leave the RVibrake in emergency only mode all the time. 

You don't have your rig listed in your signature, but I've got to think a RAM 3500 is going to push you through an intersection more than you might like.  In all but Massachusetts, towing something that heavy without brakes is illegal.  You should check to be sure.  See this map.
Rick and Donna
1997 U320 4000 WTBI Build 5152 "Molesley"

Reply #19
E-Trailer, online videos, 2 days in a warm garage.

DIY if able, learn how everything fits together and functions, save lots!
Frank & Connie Williams
1999 U320 '36
Build: 5466
MC: 18335

Reply #20
I installed both the Roadmaster base plate and the air Force one on my coach and Jeep Grand Cherokee. I did it myself. I can tell you there was a lot of anxiety when it came time to cut into the airlines on the coach but with the help of you guys on the forums I was able to do it successfully.
Installing the base plate almost pinched my finger in between it in the frame of the car, actually I did pinch my finger I almost broke it. But again I did it. I also installed a light kit for towing. Bought it all on etrailer.com.
I do want to get a different tow bar though. The one I have is a Roadmaster falcon and while it's a good tow bar for a lighter car I think I need something a little stronger for my Jeep. I've towed it several times now with it but for long term I'm going to go for the 10 k Roadmaster tow bar. Some people like blue ox some people like Roadmaster to me it doesn't really matter I think they're both fine.
The point is is that these things are doable by yourself if you have the right tools. and even if you have to buy the tools you'll still be cheaper than paying somebody to do it for you. Would I do this if I was in my '70s? No way. I found it difficult enough as it was at 60. But the satisfaction I get from doing my own work is something worth doing. The money that I saved is just icing on the cake.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
1500 Watts Solar 600 amp Victron lithium
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #21

I am a big fan of the Ready Brute System.
Amazon.com: NSA RV Products (RB-9050 Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar: Automotive
We use Blue Ox clevises for the RG and Blue Ox base plates on the Cherokee.  We have the break away kit as well. Dash light tells me when it is braking.

Installing the base plates on the Cherokee were the hardest part of this, lots of plastic parts to remove and replace, some get trimmed.  It was much easier on our Wrangler, CJ7, CJ5 and CJ-2A

I have used this system or one like it towing five different Jeeps since the early 1970s.  It is proportional and self adjusting.  If you are coming down a long grade and the Jeep and the coach are going the same speed then there will be little or no braking on the Jeep. No connections to the coach brakes.  Simple.  And it you have to tow the toad with something else just move the tow bar.  The brakes while towing still work on the toad.

Reply #22
I have a roadmaster system and I built my own base plate. I have Airforce one that was on my old Dynasty that I will install. Could be a
good job to do to day.
Peter and Frieda Morin
1999 36ft. U320 Foretravel
Build # 5436
1998 Suzuki Sidekick Sport

Reply #23
I am a big fan of the Ready Brute System.

That is a sweet system. I have the ReadyBrake add on. If I didn't already have a towbar when I made up this toad I would have gone with the Brute. Simple, mechanical, not much to go wrong. I also installed the dash light so you know when the toad is braking.
jor