Skip to main content

Topic: Toad hook up equip (Read 493 times) previous topic - next topic

Toad hook up equip
Towing a 2014 ford 150 Eco boost. I need the base plate and breaking system. I have the Blue ox tow bar. I have 2.quotes one for 3100 from state trailer near surprise AZ and 2800 from b and m in Glendale AZ. Would it be possible and safe to pick...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Toad hook up equip
Reply #1
Towing a 2014 ford 150 Eco boost. I need the base plate and breaking system. I have the Blue ox tow bar. I have 2.quotes one for 3100 from state trailer near surprise AZ and 2800 from b and m in...

• rclark
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #2
Towing a 2014 ford 150 Eco boost. I need the base plate and breaking system. I have the Blue ox tow bar. I have 2.quotes one for 3100 from state trailer near surprise AZ and 2800 from b and m in...

Reply #3
Sorry. I should have mentioned I will be towing with a 40 safaris Serengeti 350 Cummings. Thanks for keeping inline. I thought I had enough power for towing so I did not mention it. But you never know sometimes until it is passed through the...

Reply #4
I've installed baseplates on 2 Jeep Liberty's, 1 Mazda Miata, 2 Chevy Silverados, and 1 Tahoe.  Not difficult if you're somewhat inclined.  No more difficult than doing many projects on a FT.  You'll save a bunch of money.  Baseplates usually can...

Reply #5
Go to Etrailer and see if they show an install video for your car. I bought a blue ox base plate from them and installed it after watching the video a couple of times. Saved at least a grand doing my own install. A Ford F150 might be easier than...

• kb0zke
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
I've had Blue Ox baseplates installed on two vehicles. In each case one person could do most of the work but there were times when a second person was needed to hold or help lift something. Check with Blue Ox, but I think that when you buy the...

Reply #7
I ordered the base plates from etrailer, free shipping and I believe no sales tax as well.  Depends on what state they are shipping to.  I bought a used Blue Ox tow bar from a guy on craiglist for $100 and like brand new.  No, it was not stolen,...

Reply #8
Regarding the braking system.  Look at ready brake, I installed mine myself.  Easy to do.  It is a surge brake system, but I have used mine for 3 years and still happy with it.

Manufacturer of the Ready Brute Elite tow bar and the Ready Brake

this...

• bigdog
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #9
As has been said. The difficulty of a baseplate install depends greatly on the vehicle. The experienced shop I used was cursing by the time my Subaru crosstrek was done. Nearly the whole front end had to be removed. He said it was the hardest...

• Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 09:05:49 pm by bigdog

Reply #10
Here's the Blueox install instructions from their website:  https://assets.rigidhitch.com/Blue_Ox/BX2681.pdf

Reply #11
I'm on my second Roadmaster Sterling tow bar.  I wore out the first one.  Be careful buying used.  You have to know how much wear is too much.

Reply #12
I've installed Blue Ox baseplates on two different vehicles by myself. In both cases the installation took a couple of days. Both were straightforward and while I could have used some help at some points it was no problem by myself. I really like...

• rclark
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #13
Regarding the braking system.  Look at ready brake, I installed mine myself.  Easy to do.  It is a surge brake system, but I have used mine for 3 years and still happy with it.

Manufacturer of...

Reply #14
etrailer | Blue Ox Base Plate Kit Installation - 2014 Ford F-150 - YouTube
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LwFf9N4TuHU

• dsd
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #15
Bob I just recently installed the ready brake breakaway system on my toad. 2006 Dodge Ram 3500. This is just the breakaway system. I felt it was a good value and reasonable to install. This is the emergency backup system only. Only operates when...

Reply #16
I looked for a used tow bar and hitch plate (didn't find one I was comfortable with) but wanted the supplemental brakes to be new for piece of mind. I wanted an AFO brake. I wouldn't have thought twice about buying a used hitch plate. The...

• nitehawk
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #17
Back when we were looking for a baseplate for our Geo Tracker we stopped at the Blue Ox factory. Took the tour. The girl that took us around  that, after my remarks, said that I knew more about their equipment than she did.
Anyway, we got a Blue...

Reply #18
Bob I just recently installed the ready brake breakaway system on my toad. 2006 Dodge Ram 3500.

I don't prefer the rest of there surge system because I don't want the toad brakes actuating with the...

Reply #19
E-Trailer, online videos, 2 days in a warm garage.

DIY if able, learn how everything fits together and functions, save lots!

Reply #20
I installed both the Roadmaster base plate and the air Force one on my coach and Jeep Grand Cherokee. I did it myself. I can tell you there was a lot of anxiety when it came time to cut into the airlines on the coach but with the help of you guys...

Reply #21
I am a big fan of the Ready Brute System.
Amazon.com: NSA RV Products (RB-9050 Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar: Automotive
We use Blue Ox clevises for the RG and Blue Ox base plates on the Cherokee.  We have the break away kit as well. Dash light tells...

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #22
I have a roadmaster system and I built my own base plate. I have Airforce one that was on my old Dynasty that I will install. Could be a
good job to do to day.

• jor
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #23
I am a big fan of the Ready Brute System.

That is a sweet system. I have the ReadyBrake add on. If I didn't already have a towbar when I made up this toad I would have gone with the Brute. Simple, mechanical, not much to go wrong. I also...