Skip to main content

Topic: Retarder died in heavy rain (Read 884 times) previous topic - next topic

• Pyolet
  • [*][*][*][*]
Retarder died in heavy rain
Left Atlanta this morning and an hour after departure the retarder started failing.  Worked okay for the first few stops but noticed that it took the full throw of 6 clicks to get any braking action.  Didn't notice is the retard light was coming...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Retarder died in heavy rain
Reply #1
I love the retarder too but I would use extreme caution using retarder in rainy or snowy weather.  There is potential to lose traction on rear wheels causing loss of control.

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
Make sure the trans fluid isn't low,is easy check.

Reply #3
Pyoler, not sure why your retarder is not working, but so others so not use retarder in the rain:

Recently when buying 22.5 tires for a commercial truck I own, the truck tire shop manager asked if I drove much in the rain, showed me data on tire...

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
That's why I like to control the retarder and not have it come on with the throttle. I use the retarder in the snow and just like brakes
very softly.

Reply #5
That's why Jakes get a BIG plus. I keep it on all the time and am the one that downshifts, not the computer.

Pierce

• Pyolet
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
Should have labeled the thread "Retarder died AFTER DRIVING in heavy rain".  I did read the owners manual and am from Montana...know better than to bypass the anti-lock system on slick roads, but also know that ABS on icy roads is not the catch...

Reply #7
Glad your back to normal, let us know if you find anything which stands out so that the rest of us can take preventative action.

Larry

• Pyolet
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
Update.  Retarder continued to intermittently fail (no light, no function) after I got home.  I pulled every single connector I could find and applied oxy-guard to the contacts...no change. 

Pulled the following codes from the Allison display: ...

Reply #9
If it was in the air passages it is desiccant from the dryer.

Reply #10
And, if it got there, likely in many other places in your suspension and brake system!

Open the wet tank drain and tell us what you get (driver's side just in front of the rear wheel).

• Pyolet
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #11
My question was facetious...discovered the dreaded white powder blowing out of the wet tank drain a year ago.  Have been chasing the desiccant gremlins since. 

And, if it got there, likely in many...

Reply #12
My question was facetious...discovered the dreaded white powder blowing out of the wet tank drain a year ago.  Have been chasing the desiccant gremlins since.
In that case one more gremlin gone.

• hdff
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #13
Can you post where this solenoid is located

Keith

• Pyolet
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #14
Keith, it's the solenoid on the rear of the retarder accumulator...lower passenger side of the engine on mine.  One air line and a 2 pin connector.  Here's the link on the old Beamalarm site that I referenced.  I also needed to lower the aft end...

Reply #15
Can you post where this solenoid is located

Keith

Are you having the same trouble?

Ours will work one time then the next it won't. Sometimes after we stop at a rest area and take back off it won't work....

• hdff
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #16
Gonna check it out but the cheap replacement on eBay listed above is sold out

• Pyolet
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #17
Some previous forum comments mention taking the solenoid off and cleaning it with good results.  You could try that first.  I opted to replace it since I got electrical fault codes and luckily found the cheap part.

Reply #18
Some previous forum comments mention taking the solenoid off and cleaning it with good results.  You could try that first.  I opted to replace it since I got electrical fault codes and luckily...

• Pyolet
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #19
With key on, parking brake set, press up and down arrows simultaneously, twice.  Here's the Allison link:

http://www.mwrench.com/barth/Allison/Allison%20codes.pdf

How did you get fault codes?

• MAZ
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #20
Gonna check it out but the cheap replacement on eBay listed above is sold out
ALLISON VALVE ASSEMBLY-SOLENOID, RETARDER 29557354 | eBay

Reply #21
With key on, parking brake set, press up and down arrows simultaneously, twice.  Here's the Allison link:

http://www.mwrench.com/barth/Allison/Allison%20codes.pdf

Thanks

• hdff
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #22
ALLISON VALVE ASSEMBLY-SOLENOID, RETARDER 29557354 | eBay
I said cheap replacement like the one pyolet got above for 100 bucks..... I saw this $357 one

• Pyolet
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #23
I waited for 3 months before the $100 unit popped up.  Just gotta be patient and keep checking eBay and Amazon. 

I said cheap replacement like the one pyolet got above for 100 bucks..... I saw this...