Skip to main content

Topic: Retarder died in heavy rain (Read 375 times) previous topic - next topic

• Pyolet
  • [*][*][*][*]
Retarder died in heavy rain
Left Atlanta this morning and an hour after departure the retarder started failing.  Worked okay for the first few stops but noticed that it took the full throw of 6 clicks to get any braking action.  Didn't notice is the retard light was coming...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Retarder died in heavy rain
Reply #1
I love the retarder too but I would use extreme caution using retarder in rainy or snowy weather.  There is potential to lose traction on rear wheels causing loss of control.

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
Make sure the trans fluid isn't low,is easy check.

• Jack L
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
Pyoler, not sure why your retarder is not working, but so others so not use retarder in the rain:

Recently when buying 22.5 tires for a commercial truck I own, the truck tire shop manager asked if I drove much in the rain, showed me data on tire...

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
That's why I like to control the retarder and not have it come on with the throttle. I use the retarder in the snow and just like brakes
very softly.

Reply #5
That's why Jakes get a BIG plus. I keep it on all the time and am the one that downshifts, not the computer.

Pierce

• Pyolet
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
Should have labeled the thread "Retarder died AFTER DRIVING in heavy rain".  I did read the owners manual and am from Montana...know better than to bypass the anti-lock system on slick roads, but also know that ABS on icy roads is not the catch...

Reply #7
Glad your back to normal, let us know if you find anything which stands out so that the rest of us can take preventative action.

Larry