Skip to main content
Topic: Slide water intrusion (Read 548 times) previous topic - next topic

Slide water intrusion

Every time I close the slide and then open back up, there is water on the carpet in front of the couch. At first I thought because my slide topper ripped and not covering the slide that could be the problem. I tilt my coach driver side down hoping that would temporary fix the problem, but it didn't. Today I was dumping my tanks and started to look over the slide to see if I could notice anything. When I removed my hose from the forward basement slideout tray, I noticed that there was a missing panel on the bottom of the slide. It has three total to cover the slide mechanism, but one is missing. Could that cause water to come in?

Mike
Mike (Shelby the wonder dog)
2003 U320 (Barry Beams old coach)
2012 Honda CRV

Re: Slide water intrusion

Reply #1
Mike,
Is the water you're seeing at the front or rear end of the slide? We have had that happen at the end of the slide, I squeegee the water  off just before bringing the slide in. Probably doesn't get it all, but at least we don't find a wet area on the carpet.
Dick, '03 U320 40' Tag, 2 slides, Coach #6075
Full Timers
2009 Honda CR-V

Reply #2
The middle of the slide to the front of the slide. It rained all last week, so couldn't squeegee it off.

It's not coming from the ceiling, but from under the slide.

Mike
2012 Honda CRV

Reply #3
If you're talking about the middle piece, that is the way the 2003 slides are. Can you take a picture?
Richard & Betty Bark & Keiko our Golden Doodle
2003 U320T 3820 PBDS
Build # 6215
MC # 16926
2016 Chevrolet Colorado 4X4 diesel

Reply #4
Here you go.
2012 Honda CRV

Reply #5
Do you have any delamination where the side of the coach meets the slide out opening?  Especially the bottom edge.

Does your upper rubber sweep work as the slide retracts?

Are your lock pin blocks on top clean and are the block drain lines clear?

Rich
Rich and Peggy Bowman
2002 U270 3610 WTFS, build #5939--"Freedom"
2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4xe
SMI AirForceOne brake system
PakCanoe 15

Reply #6
Do you have any delamination where the side of the coach meets the slide out opening?  Especially the bottom edge.  It does have some delamination, but was filled with some black stuff at MOT.

Does your upper rubber sweep work as the slide retracts? No idea, can't see it when it's retracted.

Are your lock pin blocks on top clean and are the block drain lines clear? I'll have to check the pin blocks. Don't know where the drain lines are?

Rich
2012 Honda CRV

Reply #7
Mike, yours is the same as mine. Pretty sure that's factory.
 We don't have lock pin blocks or drains AFAIK.
Richard & Betty Bark & Keiko our Golden Doodle
2003 U320T 3820 PBDS
Build # 6215
MC # 16926
2016 Chevrolet Colorado 4X4 diesel

Reply #8
Looking from the outside of the coach, inspect the outer edge of the inflatable bladder.  Is it sealed to the coach? 

If not, water runs under the inflatable bladder to inside the coach, and can cause delamination.  Seal the bladder edge to the coach if it is not well sealed.
Dan - Full timing since 2009
2003 U320 40' Tag 2 slide

Reply #9
how long has it been since the windows have been removed and resealed? I had the same issue on a 2002 turned out to be the window was leaking in the slide. When I went to remove the window I took all the screws out and it literally fell right out. So far I have done four of them Will eventually get around to re sealing all of them they need it
John Patrick
2002 U270

Reply #10
I may be mistaken but I think you do have pin blocks (2 top/2 bottom) and the top two have a hole in the bottom that connects with a hose to a drain hole on the lower outside edge of the coach.  The pin blocks show as two round holes (about 1 1/4" roughly centered above and below the windows).  After you retract the slide, you can hear the hydraulics extend and "thunk" the pins into the locked position.

The top pin block holes can be blown out from the bottom.  Use low pressure and cover them with a rag to avoid blowing lots of debris onto the bottom of your awning.  I've also reached in with a small metal hook to pull debris out that gets rammed in by the pin when it extends.

The slide sweep should look like a rubber squeege flap along the top of the slide out opening.  It hangs down about 1 1/2".  Very visible when the slide is retracted.
Rich and Peggy Bowman
2002 U270 3610 WTFS, build #5939--"Freedom"
2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4xe
SMI AirForceOne brake system
PakCanoe 15

Reply #11
My 2003 is like Richards, matches your photo. And no locking pins on that year.
Tom Lang K6PG (originally  KC6UEC)
and Diane Lang
2003 38 U295 build 6209
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Ecodiesel
still have tow-ready 2006 Acura MDX 
Temple City, California
Motorcade 16681 California Chapter President
SKP 16663 member of SKP Park of the Sierra, Coarsegold California
FMCA F071251
Retired electrical and electronic engineer

Reply #12
I'm sure it's coming in from either the window or where it's delaminated. I'll have to check later today.
Thanks for the answers.

Mike
2012 Honda CRV