Skip to main content
Topic: Battery monitor (Read 1124 times) previous topic - next topic

Battery monitor

I am going to install a battery monitor when and if we get back to the states.
I have the Magnum remote control, but am leaning towards the Victron 712.
When I was looking at where I would install the shunt, I noticed this attached to the first negative terminal.
I don't know what it is??!!!???!!
There is a Xantrex solar controller in another bay and a Xantrex monitor near the Magnum.
Any idea?
Glenn and Amy Beinfest
2001 36' U320
2014 Honda CRV

No Whining on the YACHT

Re: Battery monitor

Reply #1
Looks like my temperature sender.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #2
If it is temperature, how do I read it on the Magnum remote?
Glenn and Amy Beinfest
2001 36' U320
2014 Honda CRV

No Whining on the YACHT

Reply #3
I really like my Victron 712.
1998 36 foot U270 Build No. 5328 WTFE, 900 watts solar, Victron controller, B2B, bat monitor, 600 AMPH lithium with 2018 Chevy Colorado toad, SKP #110239, Motorcade #17781, retired and full-timer since Dec. 2020. Part of RV family since 1963.

Reply #4
If it is temperature, how do I read it on the Magnum remote?
It adjusts the charging voltage you don't need to read it.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.

Reply #5
Having most of the system already the magnum BMS seems easy. I think it plugs into the inverter and uses the BTS. If that's what's on the battery.

My magnum ME-ARC advanced panel I think  shows the battery temp and if scrolled shows two different inverter internal electronics temps.

Not sure if the ME-RC does all of that but it might.

I put in a xantrex power pro meter and found it duplicates the Magnum BMS. 

If you are going high tech solar the Magnum Power Watch PT100 will integrate with your existing parts and can handle 100 amps and up to residential panels 240 volt inputs. 

"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #6
Like RealMccoy shows it connects to your negative terminal.  Just make sure there is nothing else connected between.  IOW all other negative wires attach to the other side of the shunt away from the battery terminal.  So you just need to get another negative cable for the shunt.
Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
no longer 1999 36' U320 build #5522
2013 Rzr 570 & 2018 Ranger XP1000
2006 Lexus GX470
2011 Tahoe LT 4x4
Previous 1998 45' 2 slide Newell, 1993 39' Newell

Reply #7
I am going to install a battery monitor when and if we get back to the states.
I have the Magnum remote control, but am leaning towards the Victron 712.
When I was looking at where I would install the shunt, I noticed this attached to the first negative terminal.
I am using the Victron BMV 712.  For me one of the best features is the bluetooth which includes the Victron phone app for ease of use.  My favorite feature is the accuracy and ease of monitoring  my battery bank state of charge and the  amps going in and out of my battery bank. I never have to look at the remote panel, as all settings and info I now get on the Victron phone app.

I mounted my meter inside as it was easy to run the new wire for the 712 when I installed my residential refrigerator, again I never use it except when comparing battery temp readings to Xantrex monitor which is on the adjoining panel.  If doing a new install, I would have no problem mounting it next to the batteries and and shunt as Realmccoy. Do make shure all negative connections go thru the new, provided as part of the BMV 712, shunt, including the negative cable from solar controller, to assure accurate readings.

The Victron temperature sensor allways matches my Xantrex temperature sensor on temperature from my SW2012 which gives me confidence in their accuracy.

The item in your picture on the negative post, I agree, is the temperature sensor for your currently installed Magnum electronics.

I have switched out the pictured Morninstar solar controller, with a bluetooth Victron 150 volt/85 amp since the picture below.  I did this when I doubled the amount of solar last summer. 
97 U295 40, Build #5040, 6C8.3 325 HP
Oregon Continuous Traveler
Samsung Residential #RF20HFENBSR,
Xantrex SW2012, (3)AGM8D Hse, (2)AGM Grp24 Eng, Victron BMV-712, 1800w Solar 4 LG & 2 Sunpower
Extreme Full Body Pt w/hdlmps, new furn/floor, 4 down Lexus 2004 GX470 AWD curb weight 4,740 lbs
Prev: 1990 Barth, 10L 300 2 yrs; 91&92 Monaco Signature, 10 yrs, 10L C 300 &  6C8.3 300; 1997 ForeT 6C8.3 325 since May 2017.  Employed by Guaranty RV 14+ yrs.  Former VW New Car Dlr/Service Dlr, Sales Mgr, Rv Sales, and Service Adviser from 1968-2017
"Don't criticize what you can't understand" Bob Dylan

Reply #8
Yup, it was the temp sensor.
I am trying to understand the PO solar installation. The red positive wire from solar inverter goes into panel in storage drivers side.
It splits...what is that
Then goes into that thing wi red button marked 120...what is that?
Then splits into two buss bars
How does solar charge batteries?
Where does alternator hook into batteries?
If I upgrade from Lifelines bought in 2013 to Battle Borns....
Will my Magnum inverter/charger 2800va
be ok?
How do I reprogram Magnum remote control?
Any changes to alternator??
Thanks to Roger for walking me through lots of this yesterday
Still lots to learn and understand
Glenn and Amy Beinfest
2001 36' U320
2014 Honda CRV

No Whining on the YACHT

Reply #9
Glenn,

Go to https://www.foreforums.com/index.php?action=media;sa=media;in=3300 and download the PDF. Take it to a print shop in Mazatlan and have them make the largest copy they can. Buy a mailing tube to store it in after you are done. The original is too small to work with as it's very easy to get lost.

You can look at your wires to read the white label and write down the numbers, then compare them to the schematic.

I have attached a photo of our electrical panel to show how I brought the roof panels/controller down into the house batteries. The positive is almost at the bottom of the photo and goes into a 250 amp fusible link and then jogs left into the house 12V. The negative solar cable is close to the right bottom. I can annotate if necessary and also attach photos from the solar panel all the way to the house 12v if you like.

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #10
Typically the positive and negative wires from the solar panels will go into the solar controller.  This converts the voltage to whatever down to 12 vdc nominal.  There will be a positive and negative wire from the solar controller that then goes to your batteries.  It is good practice to have a circuit breaker on positive wire going into solar controller and also on positive wire coming out of solar controller going to the batteries.  Typically your 12 vdc loads then come off of the batteries.  Time to do some tracing.
Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
no longer 1999 36' U320 build #5522
2013 Rzr 570 & 2018 Ranger XP1000
2006 Lexus GX470
2011 Tahoe LT 4x4
Previous 1998 45' 2 slide Newell, 1993 39' Newell

Reply #11
Like RealMccoy shows it connects to your negative terminal.  Just make sure there is nothing else connected between.  IOW all other negative wires attach to the other side of the shunt away from the battery terminal.  So you just need to get another negative cable for the shunt.
Getting ready to order the Victron.
If I want to keep the temperature shunt, AND want to install the Victron shunt correctly, should I install a buss for the negatives coming off the post.
Could someone explain how I should wire this.Diagram, perhaps?
Glenn and Amy Beinfest
2001 36' U320
2014 Honda CRV

No Whining on the YACHT

Reply #13
I watched the video. Thanks.
Let me be more specific.....
Look, once again, at the picture I enclosed in my first post.
Do I leave the temperature shunt where it is, OR do I put it on the LOAD side of the Victron shunt.Would it be better to install a neg. buss for BOTH shunts? Simple question.
Glenn and Amy Beinfest
2001 36' U320
2014 Honda CRV

No Whining on the YACHT

Reply #14
Victron Temp sensor should be connected to the POS battery post. It measures temperature and provides power to the shunt.  Neg wire from battery goes to the battery side of the shunt.  All loads connect to the load side.

Reply #15
It would seem the Victron main advantage would be a blue tooth connection to view your coaches power condition?

Magnum makes a WiFi connection to their systems.  It can send reports to a central magnum server that can be accessed anywhere the internet is available. Or your phone

MagWeb Monitoring Kit (Wireless) | Magnum Dimensions

Works with the networked auto gen start option

And is made in the USA.....

You already have the system basics.

As things go a fully integrated coach with auto  gen start, integrated residential grade solar  and auto dual setback HVAC connection should be worth  more money to a future buyer.

It surely would to me and I am a jaded tourist.

WiFi versus blue tooth.  Gen start readout, integrated ac system

Would the system integration be of interest to you?

Magnum make residential grade stuff.

"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
2007 Solara convertible

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430

Reply #16
Victron Temp sensor should be connected to the POS battery post. It measures temperature and provides power to the shunt.  Neg wire from battery goes to the battery side of the shunt.  All loads connect to the load side.
Roger
My temp shunt goes to my Magnum inverter/ Charger.I assume it is part of the Magnum equipment. I wasn't intending on replacing it, just want to know how it would work with a Victron monitor. I need to be able to tell what the batteries are doing. So I am asking how it would be wired with a Victron shunt.
Glenn and Amy Beinfest
2001 36' U320
2014 Honda CRV

No Whining on the YACHT

Reply #17
Glenn, I don't think your Magnum or my Xantrex temp sensors are going to work with the Victron shunt. They are to control the inverter charging. I am going to just leave mine directly on the battery as it does not draw current unless in milliamps. Then hook up a Victron temp sensor as per the instructions.

Reply #18
If I want to keep the temperature shunt, AND want to install the Victron shunt correctly, should I install a buss for the negatives coming off the post.
If you order the shunt from Bay Marine with the foreforum 10% discount I believe they will walk you through the install??

2000 GV320 4010 build #5712  2019-?
1999 Bounder 2000-2008
Bardstown, KY
🥃The Bourbon Capital of the World🥃

Reply #19
I'm not really sure what it is that you're asking. You said you were getting ready to order the victron. Victron what? Well I don't really know exactly what it is that you're trying to wire in, I'm going to give you a picture of a wiring diagram that was left by AM solar for my coach when they installed my vitron lithium ion battery system, solar charging, and victron inverter charger. Hope that helps you. But the temperature probe goes to the positive battery terminal. It's used to monitor the temperatures in the battery and order for the inverter charger to monitor the charge.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
1500 Watts Solar 600 amp Victron lithium
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #20
For reference victron has WiFi and Bluetooth technologies . You would be surprised what the tech is now from their dialup service. Pretty incredible now a days

Reply #21
As the magnum stuff was from 2011 i assume that newer tech could have more features.  Benefits not as much.  Advantage is in the owners eye.

I remember asking C.M.Fore in person once why he did not use a particular part in his coaches that were made overseas?

"Bob my customers are Americans.  So I buy American where I can."  Word for word.

Remember those days where that made a difference?

I do.,.
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
2007 Solara convertible

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430

Reply #22
"Bob my customers are Americans.  So I buy American where I can."  Word for word.

Remember those days where that made a difference?

I do.,.

Are you ready to give up your vehicle? Tv's , computers, fancy bikes and so on? Since I'm not old yet I blame you older guys.. you are part of the problem.. they had to have customers somewhere ? A base? Or they wouldn't have sold stuff the last 30-40 years.. so made in America is not something the younger generation knows or understands but .. staying on the road we are headed down now .. things are changing and going back to Making America Awesome again! ..

No excuses from the last couple generations as they handed "American Made" away.

Reply #23
Getting off topic here......
First post said I was interested in Victron 712 monitor.
It is used to monitor what goes in and out of the batteries.
I started out, being told that I should get a Trimetric monitor by Bogart, by a Foretravel owner.
I read that many rv'ers were installing Victron, although it may be more expensive.
My question has to do with a temperature shunt that was previously installed.
It doesn't seem too hard to understand.
Guess I am unable to get my point across.
Should I just buy the Trimetric?

Glenn and Amy Beinfest
2001 36' U320
2014 Honda CRV

No Whining on the YACHT

Reply #24
Getting off topic here......
First post said I was interested in Victron 712 monitor.
It is used to monitor what goes in and out of the batteries.
I started out, being told that I should get a Trimetric monitor by Bogart, by a Foretravel owner.
I read that many rv'ers were installing Victron, although it may be more expensive.
My question has to do with a temperature shunt that was previously installed.
It doesn't seem too hard to understand.
Guess I am unable to get my point across.
Should I just buy the Trimetric?
kiss
LCD Display DC Battery Monitor Meters 0 200v Voltmeter Ammeter for Car RV...
1994 U280, Build 4490
Deming, NM.