Skip to main content
Topic: Covid-19 Busy Work (Read 1120 times) previous topic - next topic

Covid-19 Busy Work

Well it has been a difficult and time consuming project but we got it done.  Just waiting a few days to allow the finish to cure before installing the new AC's.
1. Removed the Wingaerd satellite from the roof.
2. Removed a second plate from another satellite system.
3. Opened all of the holes, layered 2 layers of glass over the holes.
4. Bondo over the over all the holes.
5. Sanded and prepared the roof for Bus Kote Finish.  2 coats of primer,  2 coats of base and 2 coats of clear.
6. Replacing, the refrigerator vent cover, the fantastic fan cover and the sewer vent covers.

John M.
John & Carm Morales

"We travel not to go anywhere, but to just go.  We travel for travel's sake.  Our great desire is to move."

Re: Covid-19 Busy Work

Reply #1
Wish I could muster some of your drive... Are you alone or have help.. good job
Dub McBride 1996 270

Reply #2
Looks great John!
Dan & Lauren - Pine Ridge, FL
2000 U320 42 CAI
Build #5766

Reply #3
Great job John! Should last a long time.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
1500 Watts Solar 600 amp Victron lithium
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #4
Wish I could muster some of your drive... Are you alone or have help.. good job
Working alone.  Takes longer but it keeps me busy and moving.  Anyone can do it.
John M.
John & Carm Morales

"We travel not to go anywhere, but to just go.  We travel for travel's sake.  Our great desire is to move."

Reply #5
I understand the one man show.. That's usually the crew I have.. Blessed to have the health and means to do work.. Good job you did.. It's satisfying to finish a project like that knowing how much you improved your bus.
Dub McBride 1996 270

Reply #6
Looks good John.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #7
John,
Looks great.  Did you brush, roll or spray the coatings?
Jan & Richard Witt
1999 U-320  36ft WTFE
Build Number: 5478 Motorcade: 16599
2008 Roadtrek Adventurous RS Sprinter
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Jan: NO5U, Richard:KA5RIW
The selected media item is not currently available.

Reply #8
John,
Looks great.  Did you brush, roll or spray the coatings?
We cut in with a brush and rolled the rest.  If I had to do all over again I would do it in the fall when it is much cooler.
John M.
John & Carm Morales

Reply #9
Beautiful... It looks clean, I mean no Sat dish..and I'm sure it will be away easier to maintain.
Good Job!
Safe Travels
Dave
2001 U320 40ft
Build #5867
2003 Tracker
VE7DOD

Reply #10
Well I finished all of current Covid-19 busy work.  We finished the roof project removing satellite system, extra plate, repaired all of the holes and refinished the entire roof.  Replaced the two 21 year old ac's, the 2 return vents and thermostat,
sewer, refrigerator and fantastic fan vent covers.  AC's were an easy install and able to control everything with the new thermostat. We removed the ULine Icemaker, the old Bose System and all of the old electronics.  Just kept the Bose speakers.  Replaced the TV and made a storage area under the tv. Replaced the surround sound, dvd player and moved all of the electronics in the cabinet over the driver's seat and closed off the old area in the front of the coach.  Installed a new subwoofer in the area of the ULine Icemaker tucked away behind the drawers.  Installed drawers and a door in the area old area.  We also replaced a lot of the old lighting with LED in the overhead florescent fixtures and the rope lighting behind the window valances.

The jobs were very challenging but doable.  Just need to remember the old rule of any craftsman.  Measure twice and cut once.  At times I would measure once then cuss twice whenever I got in a hurry or over confident.

I have a new list of projects on the outside of the coach repairing some chips from rocks or other objects, removing weathered decals and buffing the entire coach. Not too big of a job, just time consuming.  Just need to take a week off first. 

Attached are some pictures.  Hope this encourages others to not be afraid to take on some challenges.  With the internet, youtube and this forum you can find the answers to many of your projects.

John M.
John & Carm Morales

Reply #11
Looks good John!!!
The selected media item is not currently available.Keith & Jo
2003 U320T 4025 PBBS Designer series
Build 6203    Cummins 500hp
2000 U320 4010 WTFE / Build 5762 —Sold—
Motorcade #18070   
Pasadena, Texas
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara-Sunset Orange pearl coat
Don't argue with a fool, people watching might not be able to tell the difference.

Reply #12
Roof looks great John. For sure take a week off and relax.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
1500 Watts Solar 600 amp Victron lithium
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #13
I know how much work it is. Roof looks better than ours now. Excellent!

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #16
Great job on the roof, I have the same things I need to do, How did you like the BusKote?

I'm thinking about replacement AC Units, as ours are getting old.

What models did you use?

Did you need to install new Thermostats? I'm hoping to keep what is there.

Thanks, Paul
Prior 2003 U295  40ft  400Hp -Sold
2020 F350 Tremor - Sold
2021 Bundutec Roadrunner - Sold
2017 Airstream Classic - Sold that POS
2017 F250 - Sold
2019 Sprinter Van - Sold
2022 Winnebago Revel 4x4

Army Airborne Vet.

Reply #17
Wonderful work John!  I know that you are proud of what you accomplished!
Joe & Dottie Allen
Sold!  December 2023.      2000 U320; build # 5645
Our coach " Maxine"
Motorcade #  15922;  Escapee 150950; FMCA F330833; Boondockers Welcome;  Harvest Hosts;  Thousand Trails
'98 U320 from 2000-'06
USAF '62-'66

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." ―Epicurus

Reply #18
Great job on the roof, I have the same things I need to do, How did you like the BusKote?

I'm thinking about replacement AC Units, as ours are getting old.

What models did you use?

Did you need to install new Thermostats? I'm hoping to keep what is there.

Thanks, Paul
The Bus Kote was easy.  Best to do it early spring or in the fall when temps are cooler.

I used the Penquin II 15000 K BTU.  When you buy them they already come with the upgraded network boards.  You might as well stick with the upgrade boards and replace the Thermostat.  It is more expensive to keep your old Thermostat.

The bedroom temperature sensor stayed the same.  I even changed the return vents inside. 
Hope this helps,
John M.
John & Carm Morales

Reply #19
Wonderful work John!  I know that you are proud of what you accomplished!
Thank you.  It was a lot of work. But worth it.  It wasn't hard. Just takes time.
John M.
John & Carm Morales