Skip to main content

Topic: A New Floor, FLOR Carpet Tiles (Read 1757 times) previous topic - next topic

A New Floor, FLOR Carpet Tiles
Our original carpet was starting to show its age.  Bathroom tile and kitchen floor looks good so we are doing new carpet.  We like the warm feel of carpet so that's what we are doing.  We chose a FLOR Carpet Tile for color, pattern, feel and...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.
  • Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 03:01:56 pm by Roger & Susan in Home2

Re: A New Floor
Reply #1
Yes it is surprising. And disgusting. This was just one area of mine.

• MarkC
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #2
Roger, looks like a great project.  Will you be replacing the slide carpet section too?  I have been thinking about doing the same project.  I have done the bedroom carpet, but was concerned about the how to get the carpet under the slide area. ...

Reply #3
With the slide all the way out the floor carpet went under the edge of the slide by a couple inches. There is a 1/4 inch strip of plywood just under the edge of the slide.  The foam padding was a bit thicker than that and it looked like the...

• Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 11:04:15 am by Roger & Susan in Home2

• erniee
  • [*]
  • Commercial Member
Reply #4
they make carpet shims for that transition so you don't have to add underlayment everywhere

Reply #5
Well, I am doing underlayment to have a clean smooth surface to work with. And it makes the finished height better with the existing tile and wood floors.  My choice.

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: A New Floor, Carpet
Reply #6
Its a little work but very rewarding.. Doing a remodel myself.. exhausting but so far so good..

Keeps you limber and focused.. Keep up the upgrades.. Its helps the learning curve for others that might not be so enthused about how to accomplish...

Reply #7
Roger.   I'm with you on the carpet in LR and BR if that's what your doing.   I'm wondering about the carpet pad. I've heard that it's different in the br around engine area.      Are you doing anything different there.  I can notice a difference...

• jor
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
I am adding a 5mm plywood underlayment over the existing subfloor, stapled on 4" centers.

This is a little off topic but it might be useful information for those that want to add tile but do not want to remove that nice wood flooring. That...

Reply #9
Bob, Carpet in the Livingroom and Bedroom.  The BR floor padding was a very soft foam covered by a heavy black mat.  Same ahead of the front bulkhead in the LR. I think it was probably for noise, hard to see how it could have any better for heat...

Re: A New Floor, FLOR Carpet Tiles
Reply #10
Our next project is removing the carpet in the bedroom and replacing it with berber!  Roger, can you take a photo of the bedroom with the carpet removed and the exposed black mat?  I am assuming it is down there to help in the heat department...

Reply #11
Joe, I tore out the black cushion.  It may have had better heat characteristics but it was used in the BR and the front of the LR not above the basement spaces.  So my guess it that it is more for noise.  The heavy black layer would have been a...

• MarkC
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #12
We just replaced the bedroom room carpet and did an engineered floor in the bathroom. I removed the old carpet as well as the black sound dampener.  Before replacing the bedroom carpet, I covered the entire bedroom floor and bed frame with...

Reply #13
What's at the edge of the slide?  Yours may be different, mine is a 2001.

First picture shows the carpeted edge of the slide.  The floor padding and carpet have been removed. There is a 1/4" piece of plywood that extends under the edge of the...

Reply #14
Great project. I have aspirations of tackling a remodel but just have trouble finding the time. If I have time to work on it I'd rather be in it camping with the kids.

As a side not I bet it is a lot easier driving only having to worry about one ...

• OSIN
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #15
Bob, Carpet in the Livingroom and Bedroom.  The BR floor padding was a very soft foam covered by a heavy black mat.  Same ahead of the front bulkhead in the LR. I think it was...

Reply #16
It rained for the last 36 hrs, 5".  That is a lot for us.

I looked closely at the wood laminate flooring. I wasn't sure how thick the surface layer was.  Good news it is more than 1/8" thick.  Easily sandable.

I cur away the protruding plywood...

• GleamB
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #17
Roger, you ought to tell them how to scribe the curve at the front storage cabinet next to driver seat. I had to do it, both for the underlayment and our Karndean tile. I wanted both to be exact. Laid out a graph, cut template out of cardboard,...

Reply #18
OK Glenn, here is how I did it. 

Make a paper template that fits close.  Use a marking block to make a line parallel to the thing you are fitting to. Move the template, add paper to the edge of the template, use the marking block to make a line...

• Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 08:49:46 pm by Roger & Susan in Home2

• GleamB
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #19
I took a different approach. Basically, I drew parallel lines, running front to back on one inch centers. I laid out the same grid on a piece of cardboard. Then I drew a line 90 degrees perpendicular to those lines. I numbered each line, and...

• Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 10:54:00 am by GleamB

Reply #20
Glenn, Lots of ways to do most things.  A good result usually means the method worked.

Today after an appt with my ortho doc, a cortisone shot in my knee and setting up an MRI for it, I got the fourth piece of underlayment cut for the living room...

Reply #21
I got the original floor sanded yesterday and finished it this morning. Then I stained the floor.  Looks great. Smooth and flat.  Three coats of matte floor grade poly tomorrow.

Memorial service this afternoon, all on line, for a dear friend who...

Reply #22
The wood floor part is done, two coats of a matte finish oil based poly, cured over night at 75°. Hand sanded this morning and a final coat of poly.  Minimal brushing, sweep strokes into a wet edge. Dried now, I will let it bake for a couple...

Reply #23
I didn't do any thing on this project over the weekend other than make the quarter sawn white oak transition frame to the step well.

Today I cut and fit all of the pieces, quite a puzzle. Just a few smaller floor pieces left and there are trim...

• rbark
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #24
Looking good Roger!