Skip to main content
Topic: Automatic Traction Control question (Read 627 times) previous topic - next topic

Automatic Traction Control question

2001 U320 I had previously searched for upgrading to the traction control system used on later coaches utilizing ABS and individual controlled braking. Never really found a economical solution.  I've been installing a Truetrac front differential and a Detroit rear locker on my toad and wondered about the same application on the coach. I will contact Eaton monday. E-locker will be inquired about, but I have my reserves on them. The locker is available but I think the Truetrac if available would be a better fit. Downside is vehicle sliding control issues in bad weather events. I've never been around them in a 40k class vehicle.  My coach is used off pavement almost every trip. Any impute is appreciated. Just trying to get ideas for down the road.
Scott
Scott and Kim Davidson
If you're going to be dumb, you got to be tough.
DEGOIWKY
Don't ever get old, it will kill you
June 30, 2020
2001 U320 3610 Barn find
Build 5834

Re: Automatic Traction Control question

Reply #1
I too have been looking at the traction issue. One wheel drive does not cut it off pavement. My coach has a Rockwell/Meritor drive axle, there is a driver controlled locking differential option. Buy a rebuilt differential assembly (punkin) with the option and swap.
Tim Dianics
Pam Sapienza
Vader PupZilla Labrador Canine (AKA Pup)
Columbia, MO
1996 U320 4000

Reply #2
Newell has used the locking differential since at least 1993.  Had it on my '93 and '98.  Might help you in researching.
Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
no longer 1999 36' U320 build #5522
2013 Rzr 570 & 2018 Ranger XP1000
2006 Lexus GX470
2011 Tahoe LT 4x4
Previous 1998 45' 2 slide Newell, 1993 39' Newell

Reply #3
"Buy a rebuilt differential assembly (punkin) with the option and swap."
Problem with that is it probably would be from a truck and gearing would be wrong and noisy. The locker can be installed inside the current carrier but I'm concerned they would be too aggressive, noisy in the turns. About one coach buck for parts plus labor. May be the answer Definitely the easiest way to go with minimal work.  Yes I will look into what Newell uses. Thank you
Scott
Scott and Kim Davidson
DEGOIWKY
June 30, 2020
2001 U320 3610 Barn find
Build 5834

Reply #4
"Problem with that is it probably would be from a truck and gearing would be wrong and noisy"
Scott

You should be able to get the correct gear, or very close to it, from a reputable rebuilder.
I like driver controlled locking differentials because I have watched vehicles, with auto locking differentials, slide off the crown and into the ditch.

Tim
Tim Dianics
Pam Sapienza
Vader PupZilla Labrador Canine (AKA Pup)
Columbia, MO
1996 U320 4000

Reply #5
Spoke with a Eaton rep today and was advised that Eaton has the Detroit locker but doesn't recommend do to the effects of frozen or slick road sliding sideways as we all have commented on. No limited slip available from them either. At this point I'll look into what is involved with updating too the traction control using the brakes similar to the later coached in conjunction with the ABS system. The locker was more than a coach buck for parts only.
Scott
Scott and Kim Davidson
DEGOIWKY
June 30, 2020
2001 U320 3610 Barn find
Build 5834

Reply #6
What's this bolt on brake pod?
I once got off the road shoulder into soft dirt. The right rear spun but had no traction. I was able to cage the brake on the wheel with good traction with that tool, left the parking brake applied which kept the slipping wheel from turning and applied all the power to the wheel with traction and drove right out. Just have to remember to uncage the brake to restore full parking brake function.

So going back to the original thread with this brilliant simple Idea, it would be very plausible to install two solenoid valves and a momentary three position switch to manually apply the one brake on the slipping wheel with regulated air or by using spring brake pressure. Spring brake pressure may not be enough and fully locked pressure may be too much, thinking it would still need some rotation. Adding in a couple pressure regulators during this function would be not that big a deal. I genuinely like the ATC idea but a manual affordable alternative would be a great option
I have been thinking about this since first posted and think I will add to the "LIST" on what I want to do to the coach.
So those that were stuck on wet grass was both side spinning or just one?
Scott
Scott and Kim Davidson
DEGOIWKY
June 30, 2020
2001 U320 3610 Barn find
Build 5834

Reply #7
Buy a second 2001 U320. If you get stuck, leave yours out there as hunting cabin and drive the other one. Let me know if you want to make a deal on a great backup coach. 

I'm here all night if you need any other advice.
1987 Grand Villa ORED
2001 U320 4010

Not all that wander are lost... but I often am.