Skip to main content

Topic: Coach Battery Disconnect? (Read 634 times) previous topic - next topic

Coach Battery Disconnect?
Is there a coach battery disconnect that will prevent the batteries from being drained during short term storage?

I ensured the boost switch was off, the power disconnect just inside the coach door was off and turned off all breakers, but the...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Coach Battery Disconnect?
Reply #1
Turn OFF the inverter!  It draws down the batteries with a small load while in "stand-by mode".

There are also parasitic loads on the chassis battery from the memories for computers, radio's, etc.

How long are we talking about for "short term"?

Reply #2
Short term as in a week.....it has only been a week since I installed new batteries and today they were completely drained.  

I am pretty certain I had the inverter turned off, but just pulled out the manual and it suggests there might be a remote...

Reply #3
I don't know the truth, but this is what I think (the documents are incomplete):  The inverter can be turned on either by the switch in the bay where it lives (smaller through-bay) or using the "remote" located across the hall from the...

Reply #4
The only way to actually disconnect the start batteries is to remove the negative battery cable or to add an adequately sized battery switch.  Marinco makes a good one.  Blue Sea makes one as well.

BEP Marinco Pro Installer EZ-Mount On/Off Battery...

Reply #5
Conventional batteries will self discharge in a couple of months in summer with temps 90 degrees or above. AGMs less if "pure lead" type. Lead acid batteries can go all winter and still be at full voltage come spring.

Quote: As lead acid batteries...

• kb0zke
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
There are only two ways to make sure that unknown loads can't run a battery down. The cheap way is to disconnect the batteries. If this is a one-time thing, that's probably the way to go. For a few dollars, though, you can add a switch. Then you...

Reply #7
I have three GEL 8Ds and three AGM 8Ds that I use for solar energy storage and backup power. In December they were fully charged to about 12.7v resting. I disconnected the batteries from charging and from all loads. When we got home in May they...

Reply #8
If you have the original heart inverter the switch on the inverter should be turned off and then the inverter is turned on and off with the heart panel inside the coach.

• Twig
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #9
How'z about you pull off the ground cable to the battery bank? Free.

Reply #10
I use a simple, high quality, 600 amp, disconnect that I installed with a short extention cable, see picture, and disconnect below. 

With new AGM batteries, I've twice gone six months in storage, with no problem.  When installing the switch with...

Reply #11
All,

I ran into the same problem lately with our rig stored longer than normal.  I turned the house battery switch off by the door, the inverter was off (normal position) but the panel was still lit.  I was under the assumption when we purchased...

Reply #12
Inverter is directly connected to the battery.  No off other than the panel "off"   There may be a panel off "power saver"

Reply #13
All,

I ran into the same problem lately with our rig stored longer than normal.  I turned the house battery switch off by the door, the inverter was off (normal position) but the panel was still...

Reply #14
Good info. Especially the forgetting idea.  Only way not to make a single mistake is an auto combiner and a solar panel system if outdoors. Every new coach comes with one.

Killed 2 sets of batteries before I fixed the issue.

Easy install where the...

Reply #15
Thanks guys for the info.  The motorhome stays up at the lake all summer with hookups so the heat is not an issue.  The downtime during the winter is my main problem.  After our Thanksgiving trip to the Aptos we normally only due 1 or 2 crabbing...

Reply #16
How about an outside solar panel wired to the coach?

Only other way is to pull the batteries and take them with you or to a place with power?

Reply #17
How'z about you pull off the ground cable to the battery bank? Free.
or, isn't there a simple, inexpensive knife n slot thing, to attach onto the ground post, rather than a fancy $60 rotary switch?

Reply #18
or, isn't there a simple, inexpensive knife n slot thing, to attach onto the ground post, rather than a fancy $60 rotary switch?
$14 delivered is not going to break the bank. 12V Battery...

• Pyolet
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #19
Don't use this on the start battery circuit tho...it'll let the smoke out.  Starter pulls 500+ amps.

$14 delivered is not going to break the bank. 12V Battery Isolator Disconnect...

Reply #20
House batteries never see anywhere close to that. The boost solenoid (Cole-Hersee 24213) is only rated 200 amps max. For the $14 you get 300 amps 300A 12-48V Battery Isolator Disconnect Switch Power Cut Off On for Marine...  These switches have...

Reply #21
China products have been known to have both meaningful ratings and totally overstated ratings, for the disconnect switch $60 with a 600 amp rating, compared to $15, for this item I'll stick to a brand name, which just may have lower resistance,...

Reply #22
If you really need to make sure you do not end up with dead batteries this and a sun powered voltage source is pretty hard to fail.

ML-ACR Automatic Charging Relay - 12V DC 500A - Blue Sea Systems

1450 amps for 30 second cranking

Reply #23
Jack,

Since one of the members didn't want to spend much, I just found a switch at a cheap price. Not a recommendation, but a link.

We always had a Cole Hersee M750BP or matching CH on all of our apparatus. FYI: Cole Hersee has most of their...

Reply #24
How about an outside solar panel wired to the coach?

Only other way is to pull the batteries and take them with you or to a place with power?
Unfortunately we pay for storage at a large facility...