Skip to main content
Topic: Fresh Water Overflow (Read 1512 times) previous topic - next topic

Fresh Water Overflow

Rerouted the fresh water overflow. Bought a return jet and a barbed fitting from a pool supply house. The length wasn't long enough to go through the entire basement floor, pick up another fitting from the box store that threaded in from the bottom, placed screen inside the fitting to keep out the unwanted . Used a barbed connection to tie into the existing overflow hose, couple feet of new hose and done. I did use a strong magnet to make sure I wasn't drilling into framing. I have only over filled the tank one time however I'm sure some was coming out when driving with a full tank, at least now it won't run on the bulkhead.
Bill and Marsha Kuykendall
1999 Foretravel U320 36' CAI
Build Number 5446
2006 Lexus GX 470

Re: Fresh Water Overflow

Reply #1
Good job Bill. It's on my list to do things.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
1500 Watts Solar 600 amp Victron lithium
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #2
That looks like a much better solution.  Thanks for the info. That will be one of my fall projects.

David
David & Jenn
1994 U280 3600

Reply #3
Bill,

If you still have the part numbers you used, that will help others.

Thanks.
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #4
Nice job, I did mine the same way, also put a ball valve in mine. I keep it about 1/2 closed to help with water loss. On a long run on the twisty 2 lanes I'll bet we loose 5 gallons. Weboondock so every gallon counts. I also added a 3/4" fast fill with a decent water supply the tank will fill pretty quick.
Bruce, Linda, and Macy
Zoey RIP 1/20/19
1999 U295 40' build #5400
2017 silver Jeep Wrangler, 1260 watts of solar on top
Moving around the country

Reply #5
Bill,

If you still have the part numbers you used, that will help others.

Thanks.
Sorry, I do not, left the receipts in the car, DW tossed them. I stopped in Leslie's pool supply, hanging on the wall they had some fittings, looked them over and bought a couple I thought might work. I was trying to find a threaded fitting that would sandwich the floor, the floor thickness was 2", none of the options at the pool shop were long enough, bought an adapter from lowes for the bottom with male treads. The following links are NOT what I used however are very similar.

https://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP1493-2-Inch-White-Disconnect/dp/B004VTGHNU?th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP1023-2-Inch-Fitting-Locknut/dp/B003ZTM0O2

https://www.amazon.com/Lasco-436-015-Slip-Pool-Adapter/dp/B0082MXED8/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=pvc+adapter+1+1%2F2&qid=1590058607&s=lawn-garden&sr=1-5
Build Number 5446
2006 Lexus GX 470

Reply #7
John,

That looks like the through-hull fitting I used when I modified my overflow drain.  I added a stainless steel sink drain screen to the bottom to keep out the critters. 

Richard
Jan & Richard Witt
1999 U-320  36ft WTFE
Build Number: 5478 Motorcade: 16599
2008 Roadtrek Adventurous RS Sprinter
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Jan: NO5U, Richard:KA5RIW
The selected media item is not currently available.

Reply #8
I'm not familiar with that type fitting and how they work on a boat, not sure the water from the overflow would flow threw the rubber flapper, in addition can the "through the hull portion be shortened to 2"?  As far as location I suggest using a magnet to locate framing before drilling any holes.
Build Number 5446
2006 Lexus GX 470

Reply #9
Yes, that thru hull can accommodate the thickness of the Foretravel basement floor.  The nut can be tightened to any "hull" (or basement in this case) thickness.

I don't have experience with the thru hull with rubber flap, but according to the write-up, it allows water out, but not in.  Worse case cut it out and but a screen over it.

BTW, looks like a very good solution.
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #10
Looks like a great Idea. I've never looked at the tanks.

Is there an overflow fitting near the top from the factory?

Paul
Prior 2003 U295  40ft  400Hp -Sold
2020 F350 Tremor - Sold
2021 Bundutec Roadrunner - Sold
2017 Airstream Classic - Sold that POS
2017 F250 - Sold
2019 Sprinter Van - Sold
2022 Winnebago Revel 4x4

Army Airborne Vet.

Reply #11
Looks like a great Idea. I've never looked at the tanks.

Is there an overflow fitting near the top from the factory?

Paul,

On my '99 the factory overflow is on the street side of the fresh water tank.  It is behind a plywood baffle above the water pump and accumulator tank.  On mine there was a green corrugated hose (about 1.5 inch diameter) that ran from a fitting near the top of the fresh water tank and disappeared aft above the black and grey waste tanks.  Somewhere back there it attached to a fitting that dumped the water out ahead of the rear wheels.  I simply removed the factory hose from the fresh water tank fitting and added my own food grade 1.5 inch hose.  I runs it essentially straight down to the basement floor.   
Jan & Richard Witt
1999 U-320  36ft WTFE

Reply #12
This is the water pump locker on the '99 with the new overflow hose visible on the left. 
Jan & Richard Witt
1999 U-320  36ft WTFE

Reply #13
Paul,

On my '99 the factory overflow is on the street side of the fresh water tank.  It is behind a plywood baffle above the water pump and accumulator tank.  On mine there was a green corrugated hose (about 1.5 inch diameter) that ran from a fitting near the top of the fresh water tank and disappeared aft above the black and grey waste tanks.  Somewhere back there it attached to a fitting that dumped the water out ahead of the rear wheels.  I simply removed the factory hose from the fresh water tank fitting and added my own food grade 1.5 inch hose.  I runs it essentially straight down to the basement floor.

That food grade hose is a much better choice than the green factory corrugated hose. Getting a watertight seal with the factory  corrugated hose and a hose clamp seems it could pose an issue. Mine is hidden behind the hot water tank and out of reach. I worry about that leaking more than the over-flow on the rear bulkhead.
Doug W.
96 36' U270 CSGI #4946
04 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
PNW

Reply #14

I've been following this thread getting ready to change my overflow as I've seen in some of the pictures.  I have a couple of questions:
Could just a regular bulkhead type fitting work going through the floor ?
Amazon.com: Lifegard Aquatics 3/4-Inch Double Threaded Bulkhead: Pet Supplies

Could the overflow hose be reduced down to a 3/4" hose for the overflow?

As it's only air coming out until it overflows, would a 3/4" hose allow air to escape fast enough ?

Curious to know

Mark & Bev
2001 U295 36'
Cummins ISC 8.3 350HP
Build #5802
Jeep Wrangler Toad

Reply #15
The floor is at least 1.5" thick.  3/4" is probably the minimum size.  If it is going to overflow you want it to be easy. If you run the overflow hose/pipe through the floor be sure there is something to keep everything (mice, bugs, etc) out. 

Reply #16
I added to mine with the same hose the factory used. No fungus amongus yet no leaks been 6 years. As Doug said it can be a booger to get to. I just added on to the end of the hose at the bulkhead.
Bruce, Linda, and Macy
Zoey RIP 1/20/19
1999 U295 40' build #5400
2017 silver Jeep Wrangler, 1260 watts of solar on top
Moving around the country

Reply #17
Nice clean job, Bill.  8)

I did a slopper stopper mod to ours last year, took some pics while re-doing the butchered fresh water pump plumbing this year. We do mostly dry camping and arriving on-site with only 2/3 tank of fresh water wasn't going to cut it. What I did was cut the factory corrugated vent line, run some 1" PVC pipe and elbows inboard, above the fresh tank, and a 180 deg U-turn back outboard. One end of the pipe is connected to the tank line, the other to the line exiting the bulkhead. Where the pipe goes over the top corner of the tank is a piece of EDPM foam tape to keep the pipe off of the tank. The inboard end is within 1/2" of the lines running through the central chase, and supported by a piece of foam pipe insulation that rests on top of the tank. The outboard end is attached to the bay ceiling with a pipe strap. The goal is that, during a left hand turn, water traveling inboard in the pipe counters the pressure of the water in the tank created by the centrifugal force of the turn. It works as intended.

The test was to fill the tank to overflowing, then go on a trip. 200 miles into the trip was our fuel and lunch stop. I lucked-out and caught the green light at the end of the exit ramp, told the boss to hang on, and stuffed the ol' girl into the left-hand turn as hard as I cared to. 2 min later we're parked in the fuel lane, I get out and check the bulkhead. It's bone dry. Popped the wet bay door and the tank is still plum full, right at the top of the vent line, as it was when we started. After about 4000 miles, I have yet to see any loss of water.

For those that don't want their tank vent exiting through the bulkhead, maybe a hybrid of similar to what Bill has done, combined with similar to what I've done, would be a good solution, depending upon your coaches tank configuration.

Greg
Greg & Cathy
2000 U320 4010 DGFE Build #5650
Had: 1999 Tradewinds 7370

Reply #18
I've been following this thread getting ready to change my overflow as I've seen in some of the pictures.  I have a couple of questions:

I think Navybean found the perfect part for going through the floor, if I were to do the job

As it's only air coming out until it overflows, would a 3/4" hose allow air to escape fast enough ?

Curious to know

ugh ?

Curious to know

Navybean may have found the perfect part for going though the floor, if I were doing the job again I would have used something similar to what he suggested. Here is another link to a similar/same product.
National Supply Direct - Your Marine and HomeGoods Superstore Attwood Thru...
Build Number 5446
2006 Lexus GX 470

Reply #19
Greg, I dry camp half the year and need a FULL tank when I fill to be efficient out there.  I love the simplicity and engineering of your slopper stopper pvc vent mod so much, I took your idea and ran with it. I bought the Atwood 1 1/2" scupper that Navybean linked to and replaced the rubber with a stainless sink strainer. 

I'm a former AF aircraft mishap investigator and that's where the next statement comes from.  I don't think that the OE vent arrangement is causing all cases of bulkhead corrosion.  The water vents to a location routinely subject to water and lots of it.

It think a lot of cases of bulkhead rot might instead be caused by deteriorated vent hose leading to water leaking INSIDE the wet bay each time the tank is filled and driven.  Here's what I found and why I came to that conclusion.

When pulling the original 1 3/8" white/green spa hose off the tank and vent fittings, I discovered some areas of black mold on the hose near the vent fitting end.  Further inspection by bending the tubing showed two perforations in the mold area.  Pictures attached. 

These perforations might very well have existed since install at FT based on the mold and stains around the perforations, but were there for a while at any rate. Time has not been kind to this tubing, and it was easy to tear other sections with minimal bending.  I replaced it all with new 1 1/4" spa tube from Ace HW.

Bottom line, for those who've re-routed the vent and also for those intent on keeping the factory set-up, REPLACE that hose!!!  My $.02.  Woody.
2001 4010 U320 build #5865 "Bluto-d-Bus" since 09/18
2006 Honda Element ESP Toad
Full timing since 2016 in Western MT
Copilot: Sitka
1975 GMC 260 Avion: sold

Reply #20
Good one
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #21
I checked this one off this weekend too. I was pleased to find wood in the bulkhead below the water pump. I sealed it off with a deep penetrating epoxy sealer made for marine use and that'll help ensure moisture stays out of the bulkhead even if the silicone seals fail.

I was able to source all the parts at the local hardware store.
1987 Grand Villa ORED
2001 U320 4010

Not all that wander are lost... but I often am.

Reply #22
Nice Elliott!
Joe & Dottie Allen
Sold!  December 2023.      2000 U320; build # 5645
Our coach " Maxine"
Motorcade #  15922;  Escapee 150950; FMCA F330833; Boondockers Welcome;  Harvest Hosts;  Thousand Trails
'98 U320 from 2000-'06
USAF '62-'66

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." ―Epicurus

Reply #23
Does anyone know the actual size of the green/white overflow hose on the foretravel. I though it was 1 1/2 inch but ordered some and it evidently is larger than that
Peter    Alberta Canada
'98 U320 40'  Build 5359 M11 450 HP, Aqua hot, Blu Ox