Skip to main content

Topic: Bay door where engine batteries are won't ooen (Read 462 times) previous topic - next topic

• [*][*][*]
Bay door where engine batteries are won't ooen
My Bay door which gives me access to the engine batteries won't open. It locks and unlocks and the handle latch comes up all the way but somehow it is stuck.

Re: Bay door where engine batteries are won't ooen
Reply #1
Is it possible that just the gasket is stuck to the door?  Did you try pulling on the bottom of the door with one hand while pulling on the latch
handle with the other?  Also, did you look underneath to see if you have access to the latching...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Reply #2
Think the lock should be accessible if you put your hand up behind the panel or lie on the ground and look up behind the door, the compartment on our coach does not have a floor, you should be able to manually release the latches without using...

Reply #3
Push in the door while pulling on the release handle. Worked for me when my door stuck.

Reply #4
It is likely caused by a worn latch linkage.  I am attaching a photo of my repair which is an adaptation of one posted by another member. The picture was taken before the cotter pin was installed. A forum search should find other solutions.

Reply #5
Here is a link to the worn latch solution posted by Mr Ed. It is the one I adapted to fit my lesser mechanical skills.

Unicoach narrow bay door latch fix

• [*][*][*]
Reply #6
Thanks for the info. I will check that out. I wanted to check the voltage on the batteries before I took it out for short trip. So when I got back home I tried again and it opened. Not sure why.

• Dub
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
I got in that bind with my wet bay door..When I closed it I always do the leg push at both ends of the door. I had the power cord trapped and it put pressure pushing out on the latches. Did what Bob said and pushed in on each end while lifting...

Reply #8
I did something similar to MisterEd.  The OEM setup has a very short throw when you lift the handle..  The mod lengthens the throw and operates the lock better.

Rich

Reply #9
That narrow top-hinged door has really been a pain in the rear (of the coach ;^) for me!
Too many times I noticed, in the mirror, or was alerted by other motorists, that my battery compartment door was practically in the next lane  ::)
I tried over...

• Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 08:59:13 am by Mogan David

• Dub
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #10
After reading closer all together different door situation than my closed in bay door.

Reply #11
Last night I too went to open battery bay door on my 99 U320 and the actual plastic handle piece just picks up very easily without releasing lock mechanism,. Obviously, she self destructed internally.  Is there a place to purchase replacement ...

Reply #12
On mine, following the accumulator fuel leak, I noticed quite a bit of oily gunk built up in the latch mechanism.  Mine exhibits the same issue (sticking).  If I pull up the handle and simultaneously pull on the bottom of the door I can get it...

Reply #13
Last night I too went to open battery bay door on my 99 U320 and the actual plastic handle piece just picks up very easily without releasing lock mechanism,. Obviously, she self destructed...

Reply #14
Aren't they like this?  They come in Left and Right and as Chuck said they're pot metal.

TriMark Locks RV Motorhome RH Driver Storage Handle 11812-37 Series 30-0450...

There's one on Amazon for $148.00.

Reply #15
The Narrow Bay Door Latch Fix I posted Unicoach narrow bay door latch fix will be available for sale, in kit form, shortly. A forum member asked me to make a few and I decided to make some extra kits to help keep the unit cost lower. Once I...

Reply #16
Last night I too went to open battery bay door on my 99 U320 and the actual plastic handle piece just picks up very easily without releasing lock mechanism,. Obviously, she self destructed...

• Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 01:19:58 am by MisterEd