Skip to main content

Topic: Large bin doors for storage compartment breaking (Read 430 times) previous topic - next topic

Large bin doors for storage compartment breaking
Went to shut the one on the drivers side and noticed the fiberglass lip is cracked and failing causing the door to bind when opened. The one on the passenger side is also failing. The pop rivets area. I'm sure this is common on these older...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Large bin doors for storage compartment breaking
Reply #1
Are the pop rivets loose?  If so there are other threads here talking of what others have done to correct.  My only two doors with these rivets are the chassis battery door, and the air filter area door.   On mine I caught the looseness quick...

Reply #2
No the rivets are tight. The fiberglass lip is breaking. I put new struts on them as prescribed by FT's poundage and it made these worse from the pressure of closing against a new strut. May put the old one back on and use a stick! ha ha

Reply #3

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
Try a small pair of vise grips on the metal rod,better then a stick.

Reply #5
WOW! My new struts caused big damage. That sucks

Reply #6
Ok. Put old ones back on one side and took the pressure off somewhat. I'll do the aluminum bar repair later with bolts and nuts and hopefully be ok. Lesson learned, don't replace both struts

Reply #7
Went to shut the one on the drivers side and noticed the fiberglass lip is cracked and failing causing the door to bind when opened.
Thanks

When was the last time you oiled that piano hinge?

Reply #8
This winter but I'll do it again now! Good idea

Reply #9
No the rivets are tight. The fiberglass lip is breaking. I put new struts on them as prescribed by FT's poundage and it made these worse from the pressure of closing against a new strut.

Out...

Reply #10
I got all mine from Brad at FT. He has a chart on size of door and poundage but I went to one new one old when both new started breaking the door mount

Reply #11
My experience with the lower doors that have the piano hinge is that with age the fiberglass becomes brittle and is subject to cracking at the corners and edges.  FT used either a fiberglass mat or a chopper gun to lay up the doors. Mat is not as...

Reply #12
Thanks. I'll pursue Jerrys idea of bent stainless on a 90 degree angle. Jerry did you pop rivet or use screws on the stainless

Reply #13
Thanks. I'll pursue Jerrys idea of bent stainless on a 90 degree angle. Jerry did you pop rivet or use screws on the stainless
I used screws and nuts on the hinge part and pop rivets on the...

Reply #14
Xtreme fixed ours, overlaid some new fiberglass and riveted it back.  Said it not uncommon repair and much much cheaper than new door, of course.

Reply #15
A can of locktite adhesive 2 clamps and a 2x4 as long as the width of the door is all you need. Apply the locktite adhesive in the areas it is coming loose, put a clamp on each end of the 2x4 the width of the door and let it dry. It's like iron,...