Skip to main content
Topic: Shore Power vs Generator (Read 646 times) previous topic - next topic

Shore Power vs Generator

Quick question 99 U270
If the generator is started while the coach is plugged into shore power, does the coach remain on shore power or does it switch to the onboard generator supplied power?
thanks
David & Emma Roche
Dino (Golden Doodle)
1999 U270 WTFE 36' Build # 5534
Xtreme "Lights, Stripes & Roof"
Motorcade# 18321
Dayton, Ohio
Towd: Jeep Grand Cherokee
Two Townie Electra Bikes

Life is made to enjoy, the Foretravel helps!

Re: Shore Power vs Generator

Reply #1
Different coaches have the ats wired differently some generator default some shore power. You just have to figure it out. If you are on shore and start the generator and the voltage changes the generator is the primary.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #2
Craneman is correct again.  On our '99 U-320 the shore power is primary and generator secondary.  (inverter is tertiary)
Jan & Richard Witt
1999 U-320  36ft WTFE
Build Number: 5478 Motorcade: 16599
2008 Roadtrek Adventurous RS Sprinter
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Jan: NO5U, Richard:KA5RIW
The selected media item is not currently available.

Reply #3
If you pop the lid off the shore/genny ATS you will find a wiring diagram.  It will indicate which "input" is primary.  Then you just have to determine what AC source is connected to that input.  Easy to do - plug into shore power, or start the generator, and carefully check which input is hot.

OR, see this page at beamalarm.com:

What has AC Priority on Foretravel RV
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #4
Thanks everyone that a good thing to check out this week end, appreciate the feedback.
David & Emma Roche
Dino (Golden Doodle)
Motorcade# 18321
Dayton, Ohio
Two Townie Electra Bikes

Reply #5
Thanks for this thread. I checked our coach, and it says that the generator is primary. With that in mind, then, tomorrow I'll turn the big loads off, start the generator, unplug from shore power, then turn on the major loads. Then when we get to the campground, I'll turn off the major loads, plug in, shut off the generator, and turn on the major loads. That should keep the microwave clock on without any interruption. We'll see how it goes tomorrow.

Reply #6
OR, see this page at beamalarm.com:

;) That reminds me of Barry's posts. We would go on and on regarding some issue or another with everyone offering up a potential solution and eventually Barry would chime in with a quick reference to his site with the exact answer we were looking for!
jor

Reply #7
Thanks for this thread. I checked our coach, and it says that the generator is primary. With that in mind, then, tomorrow I'll turn the big loads off, start the generator, unplug from shore power, then turn on the major loads. Then when we get to the campground, I'll turn off the major loads, plug in, shut off the generator, and turn on the major loads. That should keep the microwave clock on without any interruption. We'll see how it goes tomorrow.

You're inverter should be able to keep the clock on without any problems. Unless your microwave isn't run through the inverter circuit?
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
1500 Watts Solar 600 amp Victron lithium
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #9
I generally leave the inverter off unless actually using it. Once in a while we have one of those nice travel days that we don't need the generator, so then I'll use the inverter.

"I'm curious David......... what happens if the clock goes off?" Jo Ann doesn't know when to make dinner and then I get grumpy.

Reply #10
It's always best practice not use both power sources simultaneously.  Turn off big loads, then turn off the source being used, then start the new source.
Regards,
Brett

'99 42' Foretravel Xtreme
'14 Brown Motorsports Stacker
'05 Chevy SSR
'02 BMW R1150R

Reply #11
Hey Guys, the clock, when I am in the coach, time does not apply, clock starts or stops means nothing when the U-line keeps the ice coming and the old Domestic refrigerator has a supply of cool ones.
My life at work is all clock driven, down time is slow time, late breakfasts, late dinners, or no dinners at all. Nice music playing, 60's, 70's 80's, some good jazz, sounds of New Orleans and a good book. 
We all need to meet when the world gets back to normal and figure out this clock thing!!
David & Emma Roche
Dino (Golden Doodle)
Motorcade# 18321
Dayton, Ohio
Two Townie Electra Bikes