Skip to main content

Topic: Have a good way of mounting door locks? (Read 214 times) previous topic - next topic

Have a good way of mounting door locks?
Anybody have a good way of mounting those locks that we put in cabinets to keep them closed? Or magnetic latches? I have trouble lining them up so that they actually connect well with each other. I'm sure that there is a trick to it and I'm sure...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Have a good way of mounting door locks?
Reply #1
Good Morning!
Unlike the people you've been dealing with so far in your life, this wood doesn't move.  Paper, pencil and a tape measure.  Cabinet makers use knife edge tool to score the wood for even more accurate marking.  You're smart.  You'll...

Reply #2
Not sure what magnetic latch you're using but I get the ones with two little barbs on the backside of the strike.  Then after mounting the magnet I just place the strike on the magnet and close the door,  forcefully pressing in leaving...

Reply #3
I wish the ones that I had did that but they don't.
Try putting double-sided masking tape on the magnetic side to see if it would stick to the wood and had limited success with that.
Not sure what Dykem steel blue fluid is but it sounds interesting...

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
For first timers etc what I sometimes do is put a piece  of masking tape both at top and side of cabinet so they hang out from behind door when closed. Use a sharp pencil and scribe a line alongside door to mark where it is on closing.
Then open...

Reply #5
Not sure what Dykem steel blue fluid is but it sounds interesting and expensive. Lol

Before we had digital readouts and vertical milling machines with accuracy that rival the Moore...

Reply #6
Using the same locks FT use on the cabinets.  I install the lock on the cabinet frame first, the I insert the lock plunger in the lock.  I put a good double sided tape on the back of the plunger.  Then close the door slowly sticking it to the...

Reply #7
Coming to to this discussion blind!
The locks on the cabinets?
Overhead cabinets?
The same ones we have had come open and send stuff flying?
Is there a recommended fix, the struts do a reasonable job of keeping them closed, But not against the...

Reply #8
Coming to to this discussion blind!
The locks on the cabinets?
Overhead cabinets?
The same ones we have had come open and send stuff flying?
Is there a recommended fix, the struts do a reasonable job...