Skip to main content
Topic: Interior Door handle and mechanism Help (Read 645 times) previous topic - next topic

Interior Door handle and mechanism Help

Hello again.... we have purchased a new interior cover plate and the door handle ( broke off handle some time ago)... on the back of the cover plate attached to the end/butt end of the handle is a half moon plate with a square notch.. we know this notch leverages the arms inside the mechanism but cannot figure out where it fits to open the latches for the door.

I have posted photos of all of the pieces... the plate and handle is $ 95.00 from FOT but all good with price if we can use the door again as original.

We have a 86 GV. 33SBI
1986 Grand Villa, 454 Chevrolet, 33 SBI tag axle
Build # 2658
2nd owner, original owner was Newman/Freeman Racing, racer Bill Freeman and actor/racer Paul Newman

Re: Interior Door handle and mechanism Help

Reply #1
Hello again.... we have purchased a new interior cover plate and the door handle ( broke off handle some time ago)... on the back of the cover plate attached to the end/butt end of the handle is a half moon plate with a square notch.. we know this notch leverages the arms inside the mechanism but cannot figure out where it fits to open the latches for the door.

I have posted photos of all of the pieces... the plate and handle is $ 95.00 from FOT but all good with price if we can use the door again as original.

We have a 86 GV. 33SBI

I have had the same problem in the past, the only problem is where the door handle bar goes through the plate and tightened with a screw, every now and again the screw works loose, and I have to take it apart when I lock my self in, I keep a small fold up step ladder inside and twice since I've had it, I've had to climb out of window to open it, the first time it happened I had no ladder so had to wait and call someone to open door from outside, the problem started when I locked the bottom lock, there are three and what happened someone tried to open the door with the lock on and it hasn't been right since, I used a thicker washer with one of those crinkly washers as well and used a slightly fatter self tapping screw, it worked but even now its not perfect, as long as I don't pull the handle too hard it's OK and I never operate the bottom lock, but the fault lies in that plate I'm sure
1990 foretravel grandvilla, Oshkosh chassis
8.2ltr Detroit turbo

Reply #2
I had a door problem and my 1999 u 320. I got locked in wife got locked out. Luckily was able to get the door open and we were on our way to foretravel of Texas anyway where they repaired it.
I have a different door than yours but I can tell you that mine was pretty complicated and I don't think I would have done a good job of repairing it like they did in nacogdoches.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
1500 Watts Solar 600 amp Victron lithium
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #3
I had ours break with us trapped inside, had to lower myself out the roadside slider. Did not realize how little I used certain muscles! I removed the latch after being able to open the door from the outside and removed the broken rivet in the latch. Drilled it out, tapped the inside and screwed it down and added a nut. So far, so good. Crummy latch design, I had the same junk on our Airstreams. Brett installed lockers on the latches to prevent them from 'self-locking' ^.^d
1993 U-240 "La Villa Grande"..CAT 3116 w/ Pacbrake PRXB...Allison 3060 6-speed..
Previous: 1983 Airstream 310 turbo diesel, 1979 Airstream 280 turbo diesel
                                      Build # 4297
                                      PNW natives
                      Home base:  'Cactus Hug' (Ajo, Arizona)
                        DW Judy & Chet the wonder dog
                        Full-Timers 'Sailing the asphalt sea'

Reply #4
I never had a problem with the GV coach we had, but it looks to me like the plate that fits the handle locates the piece that the spring is attatched too. In other words this has a counter effect against that spring. I say this after looking at the assembly in the door and lining up the mounting screw holes using my mind and the notch on that door part. Hard for me to explain but if you put the handle together with the bent part in the verticle position and line it up so holes match it may be you can see what it is supposed to do and go.
Sorry I have not been very clear but am sure you will see what I mean.
JohnH
Coachless, now use aircraft.
1994 Ford E350 ClassC,total renovation inside and out. Now sold.
2000 U295  36' Cummins 350 c/w Banks Stinger, Resonator upgrade,Solar, LED lites.Residential fridge with slide out pantry. Build 5674. Sold
ex 92 GV 022C ored Cummins. Sold
ex 95 GV240 cat 3116. Sold
2017 Mini cooper s & 2016 land Rover LR2 HSE  LUX.
jhaygarth@aol.com    SKP #130098
treat everyone as you would like to be.

Reply #5
Lock Tite on the screw and make sure that the oversized washer makes solid contact or the screw will work loose.
 At the same time. The lock rod should be extended  and cut flush to prevent it locking you out.

Reply #6
Lock Tite on the screw and make sure that the oversized washer makes solid contact or the screw will work loose.
 At the same time. The lock rod should be extended  and cut flush to prevent it locking you out.
There is NO screw at end of handle post.  In this photo from FT parts department.  You can clearly see that the handle post comes thru the plate and some kind of Pot Metal is melted on the plate to hold the handle in place... this is the place that broke from the original equipment... the hole you see is not a threaded screw hole    This is the weakest link. 
Build # 2658
2nd owner, original owner was Newman/Freeman Racing, racer Bill Freeman and actor/racer Paul Newman

Reply #7
  this is the place that broke from the original equipment... the hole you see is not a threaded screw hole    This is the weakest link. 
What he said: that's where mine broke, too. Anyone who has one of those should thread and nut it BEFORE it breaks; and it will !  :facepalm:
1993 U-240 "La Villa Grande"..CAT 3116 w/ Pacbrake PRXB...Allison 3060 6-speed..
                                      Build # 4297
                                      PNW natives

Reply #8
Also have been trapped like a rat twice. Once in our old SOB and once in the U300. Both used the exact same lock. The first time the RV was when I took my daughter to college and every square inch was crammed. Went out through the passenger's sliding window with help from someone outside. Tried one leg at a time but finally went out head first.  Lock Tite did the trick on the locks after that. They seem designed for the screws to come out with vibration. Also had to modify it but can't remember exactly what I did.

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #9
From 40 years experience with those latches I know that they are not very secure as to common key blanks so I only use the dead bolt and never mess with that latch. Even my '71 GMC used the same key as my '78 Vogue.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #10
Drill and tap the shaft for a small screw and oversize washer.

Cut off the lock shaft.
Both of these little details fix known problems.    Disregarding  input like you have been doing may slow your assistance.
  Replacing the poor design with another poor design , just because it has worked for 34 yrs....Lovely,

Reply #11
[quote author=Pierce & Gaylie Stewart link=msg=390158 date=1590271278 . Tried one leg at a time but finally went out head first.  Lock Tite did the trick on the locks after that. They seem designed for the screws to come out with vibration. Also had to modify it but can't remember exactly what I did.[/quote]
Ha! Wonder how many 'war stories' there are about being trapped? I tried to go out head first on the curbside, but freaked out and the DW had to help drag me back in. Finally piled every blanket and pillow we had and made a ramp that was level with the window on curbside and pushed myself out backwards on my stomach. There is a 'no return' spot where you're balanced on the edge between your short hairs and belly button; that's the scary part, pushing off!  ::)
                                      Build # 4297
                                      PNW natives

Reply #12
I had ours break with us trapped inside, had to lower myself out the roadside slider. Did not realize how little I used certain muscles! I removed the latch after being able to open the door from the outside and removed the broken rivet in the latch. Drilled it out, tapped the inside and screwed it down and added a nut. So far, so good. Crummy latch design, I had the same junk on our Airstreams. Brett installed lockers on the latches to prevent them from 'self-locking' ^.^d
Geez Mike, what in the heck are you doing to that poor coach? :))  :))
Jerry & Nona and Kimeru the cat that thinks she's a dog
1998 36' WTFE U320  #5314 Motorcade #17711
USAF 1975-1995
2019 Subaru Crosstrek 'toad'
2003 Subaru Legacy touring car
jerry Fincher | Flickr

Reply #13
Geez Mike, what in the heck are you doing to that poor coach? :))  :)) 
Have you done any measuring to see if you could fit through the window,  and do a 'drop down' on your coach should you be trapped inside?  ^.^d
                                      Build # 4297
                                      PNW natives

Reply #14
Your making too big a deal over this latch, if it fails just open the window and use a broom handle to pop the latch open, works for me.
1988  40' Grand Villa Cat 3208t

Reply #15
Your making too big a deal over this latch, if it fails just open the window and use a broom handle to pop the latch open, works for me.
When our's broke... we climbed out the side rear bedroom window as the screen. Can be slid over completely so allow us to climb out

BUT once you open the door from outside latch... you must than dismantle  the latch and just use the deadbolt to keep door closed...  we had to take cover plate off. . Expose the latch by removing the security cover plate on side of door and dismantle the latch to keep it from clamping down on the door frame pin that keeps door closed...

What a mess for us...
Build # 2658