Skip to main content

Topic: Basement freezer (Read 397 times) previous topic - next topic

Basement freezer
Looking for recommendations for a chest freezer to put in my bay. What's good what's not good, what fits.

Thanks

Re: Basement freezer
Reply #1
Tom, in my opinion the Engel hands down beats any other one out there. Unfortunately they are a bit more expensive. If you're not concerned about power usage then dometic makes one as well that's pretty good but not in the same league as the...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Reply #2
We bought the Whynter 45 qt refrig/freezer....very good unit.....we used it on our last 8K mile trip to the west coast and back.Decent price also...

Reply #3
Our oem norcold is still running.  23 years.  The Engel appears to be almost visually identical to our norcold

Reply #4
I have a Dometic CF-35 that works well, 12vdc or 120vac.  Usable as freezer or cooler.

Reply #5
Our oem norcold is still running.  23 years.  The Engel appears to be almost visually identical to our norcold

Bob as far as I know the norcold uses a Danforth compressor while the engel uses a...

Reply #6
I have a portable Dometic CF-80-Ac120-U and I have used it without fail in our RV basement and in the back of our SUV for over five years.  I have used it on both ac and dc, has never let us down. I had many customers use and rave about this unit...

Reply #7
The norcold physical box is all I was talking about.  Versus the Engel.  Maybe the same box with new running gear?

Have to measure ours.  Be great that a even more efficient identical size unit might exist as a replacement.

My coach with the...

Reply #8
One more vote for the Norcold , ours is 25 years young and going strong.
      Keeps ice cream rock hard which is the first thing to check if you suspect your freezer is underperforming.  12 volt or 110 and switches automatically,, seems to use...

Reply #9
Robert your lower temp and higher 12 volt power use seems to match my results.

The Engel unit per its published specs seems to maybe consume one half our power.

Need to measure ours as their box looks to be the same. 

Reply #10
We have had Engel Refer/Freezer units in our coaches since 1995 and one in our Jeep and Pick-up for over 20 years. Still going strong.  The ones in the Jeep and Pick-up can run at least 2 days before they drain the battery.....

Reply #11
Oh, forgot to mention......We have the Whynter unit running 24/7 at home in the garage (dog food) since March  and it just cools and cools..Best bang for the buck...IMHO

Reply #12
The norcold trek 11 and the Engel dimensions are almost the exact same. Both were and are made in Japan.

The trek ll has an inverted compressor where the Engel has the mentioned magnetic driven motor.

I thank you fir posting this as a replacement...

Reply #13
I believe the Engel is made in the Philippines now.

Reply #14
After doing a bit more research I found that the engel and that norcold tech are built by the same company using the same type of compressor. The only difference may be in the casing. I don't believe the norcold is made anymore in that...

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #15
I bought both whynter and dometic. Added a slide tray in the basement to sit it on and it's to big. Might move the slide to the other side and make another slide just for the freezer. I really like the cooling of the whynter vs the dometic.. it's...

Reply #16
DavidS where's the Jeep?

Reply #17
Engel mentions 40% less power draw than a conventional compressor.

So in my case 20 amp hours a night savings.  At 108 amps bulk charge that's not much time versus $$$+

But 20 amp hours is 20 amp hours.  Engel for sure if I was buying new

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #18
DavidS where's the Jeep?

Gave it to my son and he has since moved on to about 5 other vehicles.. plus I needed room for the grand baby.. she's more important than the kids lol

Reply #19
Jeep was kool

Reply #20
We have a Norcold basement freezer/refrig that has been stored in our garage for a long time. We are going to put power to it to see if it still works. If it works we will sell it cheap if someone can pick it up in Madeira Beach, Fl.

Reply #21
That's exactly what I need, and I'll be in the area the beginning of July.