Skip to main content

Topic: Related issues? (Read 529 times) previous topic - next topic

Related issues?
I've got a little list of items that aren't working properly and I would like for them to.

1. Fuel gauge never goes above about 3/4
2. Boost gauge doesn't go above 10psi (silverleaf shows 28 maybe)
3. Temp gauge shows about 220-250 and sometimes...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Related issues?
Reply #1
A bad ground would be at the top of my suspects list.

P.

Reply #2
Thanks Pierce, that's kind of what I was thinking. I don't even know where to start looking.

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
Yes it's all related to being old!!

Just tackle one at a time and you will get through them in time.

Reply #4
Our ground for many items is under the flip up dash top. Yours is different so will need the advice of an owner of a like coach. Once you find the ground, you can check for anything loose in the fasteners/wires. You can also bring in a jumper...

Reply #5
Also check your engine ground. With a bad or loose engine ground cable, sensors may give incorrect information to gauges, Try running a jumper cable from the chassis to something steel on the engine like the exhaust manifold or engine lift hook.

Reply #6
Thanks again Pierce. I'll check them out.

Reply #7
You can also bring in a jumper cable with one end to the steel chassis and the other end close to the ground for the dash components. Then use a multimeter on the Ohms setting and...

• jor
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
I don't even know where to start looking.

Most of the automotive grounds are in the dash area. Just raise up the cover and look to the left for a bunch of green wires. Here's a photo of the grounds on our 99 320.
jor

Reply #9
My guru buddy pulled the gauges wires off them and squeezed there ends  tighter then reinstalled them. 

Reply #10
DJ,
You have problems with several items that go to that same ground bus. Seems unlikely they all developed a bad connection around the same time.
Think I would start by checking the connection on both ends of that braided ground strap on the bus...

• jor
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #11
I would start by checking the connection on both ends of that braided ground strap on the bus bar.
Great idea from John. Here's a couple of photos. One shows the dash end of that braided strap and the other where it is grounded. You will...

Reply #12
Most of the automotive grounds are in the dash area. Just raise up the cover and look to the left for a bunch of green wires. Here's a photo of the grounds on our 99 320.
jor

Thanks, I guess I did know...

Reply #13
Thanks a lot guys. I'll check both ends of that and maybe take them off and take a wire brush to them for good measure. It also has trouble firing the engine. I would say most of the time. It's done it off and on since we purchased it a couple...

• jor
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #14
It also has trouble firing the engine.

I'd do like Pierce suggested and check the chassis ground. My recommendation is to find every ground on your rig, take it apart, wire brush it and reinstall. Find where big black cable attaches to the...

Reply #15
I'd do like Pierce suggested and check the chassis ground. My recommendation is to find every ground on your rig, take it apart, wire brush it and reinstall

Thanks again. I'll get the big book out and...

Reply #16
Thanks for the info Jor! 

Still learning and this was definitely one of the great mysteries for me.  Not sure I have had any problems related to the ground but have read many threads about grounding problems.  I usually had a blank stare....now I...

• Dub
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #17
Yep Jor just showed me a couple things about my 270 I wasn't sure of.

Reply #18
I use dielectric grease on my electrical connections.  Keeps water out, and decreases corrosion. Thanks Jor for posting the ground connections.
After 20 years these connections have issues. Getting old. A wire brush and some dielectric grease can...

Reply #19
Any grease works fine. Dialectic does not conduct.

Also the dash ground can work better if you drop an additional ground strap out the bottom of the dash to the frame   ground post. They are near the headlight connections.

Reply #20
Old Foretravels had the chassis as the ground side.  Later coaches had green ground wiring run to every fixture as far as I understand

Reply #21
Any grease works fine. Dialectic does not conduct.

Also the dash ground can work better if you drop an additional ground strap out the bottom of the dash to the frame   ground post. They...