Skip to main content
Topic: Dashboard Changes and Rear Camera Replacement (Read 720 times) previous topic - next topic

Dashboard Changes and Rear Camera Replacement

As my first project on this machine, I elected to tackle a dash upgrade in conjunction with replacing the non-functional rear camera. Additionally the B&W tube monitor seemed to be on the way out, so that's being replaced too!

The general plan:
    • Remove the old tape deck and CD changer controller
    • Remove remnants of other unused electrical gadgets that have been added over the years
    • Remove B&W Javelina Audit monitor
    • Cut and reinforce the dash to fit a double DIN sized touch screen replacement
    • Install the new touchscreen audio unit, wiring the video out of the computer to a composite video input on the touchscreen
    • Install new rear view camera in place of removed Javelina (previously) nitrogen filled camera using existing wiring

I spend a couple of hours this evening getting all the old equipment removed. A note on the Javelina Audit in case someone happens to search in the future. The three way rocker switch in the dash that selects between camera, levels, and environment is simply a control to the computer. The monitor only has a single input, so the output is changed at the computer. Additionally, there are several small wires in the monitor harness that control the brightness of the screen from the dial on the dash. I included a couple of photos showing them after removal (I simply cut and removed them since they will no longer be needed).

I'll have some additional pics in the next couple of days as some of my electronics arrive in the mail!
1994 Grand Villa U300 40' Build: 4396
6V92TA Detroit 350HP
Allison 4 Speed w/jake

Re: Dashboard Changes and Rear Camera Replacement

Reply #1
The large Android-based touchscreen radio arrived from Amazon this week. Honestly, I'm not thrilled with the large size, but for $109 (with a back up camera!), I'll make due for awhile. The double din opening is a standard, so I can replace it at a later time. It's really not a polished device, but it has a number of features that are helpful!

One example - I was able to integrate the Audit computer output into the screen, and it was displaying backward (mirrored image around the vertical). There was a setting in the touchscreen to reverse it.

I am using piece of half inch MDF to fill in where the old monitor lived. I have some detail work to go, but it will serve as a convenient mounting location for my TPMS screen.
6V92TA Detroit 350HP
Allison 4 Speed w/jake

Re: Dashboard Changes and Rear Camera Replacement

Reply #2

Closing the loop on this project. It's been a busy few weeks!

I finished up the camera replacement by modifying this camera from Amazon: Waterproof Night Vision Backup Camera

I disassembled the camera housing and sandwiched a painted stainless steel decora wall plate in between the outer and inner housings. The back side of the camera was sealed with black RTV, and the front (outside) was bedded with butyl rubber and sealed with silicon caulk as a secondary. The holes for the factory camera housing are precisely the same distance apart as a normal household switch plate. Stainless machine screws, fender washers, and nuts finished the job in time for the family to hit the road on our first little adventure to a lake 3 hours north.

Our trip was a success, and we ended up boondocking at a spot right above a nice cove in the lake.

Next steps on this project will be to paint the assembly a closer matching color to the back of the coach, and add some additional USB outlets on the dash for charging all the things.

6V92TA Detroit 350HP
Allison 4 Speed w/jake