Skip to main content
Topic: Looking for what others have done. TV/Sofa (Read 1352 times) previous topic - next topic

Looking for what others have done. TV/Sofa

I'm trying to figure out the next renovation, having scoured all types of sites and Pinterest pages. We have a sofa on the drivers side sits on the raised slide portion and across from that (Pass side) is this strange 5 sided end table between the captain chair and the Euro Chair. It has a Hydronic Heat Exchanger on the bottom of the piece.

One thought is to move place a new residential sofa where the 5 sided table is, and then put a televator cabinet on the slide. Or visa versa. Keeping the sofa on the slide and making a televator where the 5 sided table is.

There is a carpeted portion under the 5 sided table, does anyone know why this is there? I'm sure it's pretty easy to relocate the Heat Exchanger, but looking for what others may have done. One thing is we're looking to have the TV centered on the window if possible.

Any ideas are welcomed.

Here's the existing table picture.

Prior 2003 U295  40ft  400Hp -Sold
2020 F350 Tremor - Sold
2021 Bundutec Roadrunner - Sold
2017 Airstream Classic - Sold that POS
2017 F250 - Sold
2019 Sprinter Van - Sold
2022 Winnebago Revel 4x4

Army Airborne Vet.

Re: Looking for what others have done. TV/Sofa

Reply #1
There is a carpeted portion under the 5 sided table, does anyone know why this is there?
I'm pretty sure that carpet is the original carpet left over from when they put in new flooring.  It looks like it was a deliberate choice to trim it out like that than to put the new flooring up against the cabinet. 

Until you figure out what your final renovation plans will be for the new TV placement, in the meantime, I'd place a flat screen TV on top of the table when parked, and see how you like it.  That's what we do.  We store it when traveling, and when parked, it sits on that table top so we can watch from the couch across the way.  Super comfortable viewing area.  ^.^d
The selected media item is not currently available.Amanda and Douglas
Lily *meow* (RIP 7/19/23) and B.T. *meow* (RIP 9/12/18)
1997 U320 40' - "Brawley"
Motorcade #17266
Escapee #113692

Reply #2
Had this done at FOT recently. The DW likes it.
49" TV and fireplace like I saw in a new IC37.
Steve & Sandy
2003 U320 4220 WCDS, build#6160
Motorcade #17794
USMC '67-'71

Reply #3
Looks great
Bruce, Linda, and Macy
Zoey RIP 1/20/19
1999 U295 40' build #5400
2017 silver Jeep Wrangler, 1260 watts of solar on top
Moving around the country

Reply #4

That's It!

It's already been approved by the "authority having jurisdiction" on all things decor. Did you make this,  or someone else?

I'd really appreciate it if you can let me know what televator mechanism was used, fireplace, and overall dimensions of the cabinet. I have access to an excellent cabinet guy right now, so we're going to build the same right away!

If you have plans, even better.

Thanks!

2020 F350 Tremor - Sold
2017 F250 - Sold
2019 Sprinter Van - Sold
2022 Winnebago Revel 4x4

Army Airborne Vet.

Reply #5
The work was done by David Flannigan's remodelcrew at FOT. No plans. I just told them what I wanted and they figured out the rest.
Dimensions are 31 1/2" H x 29 1/2" D x 64" W
(dimensions on from an left includes 1 1/4" top overhang)

The lift is a Nexus 21 and the fireplace is a Dimplex.
We used my existing Samsung sound bar and wireless woofer. Did have to run a new 110v circuit for The fireplace. Routing existing coax was the other significant work done besides building the cabinet. We left the OE AquaHot register where it was. David is good at matching the cherry wood perfectly so it looks original.
They did have to have the new Coriander top sent to a vendor to have the TV lift opening cut. I believe they use a water jet for that.

Steve
Steve & Sandy
2003 U320 4220 WCDS, build#6160
Motorcade #17794
USMC '67-'71

Reply #6
There is a raised cable way along the wall on the passengers side. The cabinet sits on that and a plywood base to make it level.  The floor and the raised platform and the cable way are covered with carpet. The cabinet is mounted on top of the carpet.

Reply #7
We moved our five sided table out from the wall about 9" and then toward the rear about 6". I built a tv lift box. I like the work FOT did with the coriander cut out and fireplace. Good thing I did not see that first (I expect that was a more expensive option than what we did, but I can still have that done.). I will try to attach a picture of our set up.
2003 U320 4010 - SOLD
2014 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel

Reply #8
Well here is the answer to where to put the TV.:

LG's groundbreaking roll-up TV is going on sale this year - The Verge

Oh, it's only going to be north of 8K!

Keith
Keith, Joyce & Smokey the Australian Cattle Dog
1995 U320 SE Extreme 40' WTBI Build # 4780, with a Honda CR-V hopefully still following behind.
Motorcade # 17030
FMCA # F422159

Reply #9
I know you're looking for something much more substantial, with the TV lift, but in case someone else is looking for a small mod that brings functionality to the table in that spot, here's what I did. 

The little table was not very useful, especially with the lamp in the middle.  I had a cabinet maker just cut a new piece of Corian to make a little desk in that spot.  It also allows for three more spots for eating, when there's a crowd inside.

Jennifer
2003 36' U295 (# 6070)
Thousand Oaks, CA

Reply #10
Front ceiling flip down is the only way to go, that leaves the room open to work with.
1988  40' Grand Villa Cat 3208t

Reply #11
Front ceiling flip down is the only way to go, that leaves the room open to work with.
What is the size of your TV?
What hardware are you using?

Please....

Tim
Tim Dianics
Pam Sapienza
Vader PupZilla Labrador Canine (AKA Pup)
Columbia, MO
1996 U320 4000

Reply #12
I thought about that but it's never going to fit, without making new cabinets, and serious ceiling mods. 
2020 F350 Tremor - Sold
2017 F250 - Sold
2019 Sprinter Van - Sold
2022 Winnebago Revel 4x4

Army Airborne Vet.

Reply #13
I know you're looking for something much more substantial, with the TV lift, but in case someone else is looking for a small mod that brings functionality to the table in that spot, here's what I did. 

The little table was not very useful, especially with the lamp in the middle.  I had a cabinet maker just cut a new piece of Corian to make a little desk in that spot.  It also allows for three more spots for eating, when there's a crowd inside.

That's a great modification, and I could find a way to keep the TV secured (on a table like this) while traveling, that would have been a great option.

2020 F350 Tremor - Sold
2017 F250 - Sold
2019 Sprinter Van - Sold
2022 Winnebago Revel 4x4

Army Airborne Vet.

Reply #14
Well here is the answer to where to put the TV.:

LG's groundbreaking roll-up TV is going on sale this year - The Verge

Oh, it's only going to be north of 8K!

Keith

You know that might just be a good answer. If they can lower the cost a bit. But who knows I might need to crack the wallet...LOL
2020 F350 Tremor - Sold
2017 F250 - Sold
2019 Sprinter Van - Sold
2022 Winnebago Revel 4x4

Army Airborne Vet.

Reply #15
The work was done by David Flannigan's remodelcrew at FOT. No plans. I just told them what I wanted and they figured out the rest.
Dimensions are 31 1/2" H x 29 1/2" D x 64" W
(dimensions on from an left includes 1 1/4" top overhang)

The lift is a Nexus 21 and the fireplace is a Dimplex.
We used my existing Samsung sound bar and wireless woofer. Did have to run a new 110v circuit for The fireplace. Routing existing coax was the other significant work done besides building the cabinet. We left the OE AquaHot register where it was. David is good at matching the cherry wood perfectly so it looks original.
They did have to have the new Coriander top sent to a vendor to have the TV lift opening cut. I believe they use a water jet for that.

Steve
Thanks, much! Appreciate all the dims and materials. looks great from the top too!
2020 F350 Tremor - Sold
2017 F250 - Sold
2019 Sprinter Van - Sold
2022 Winnebago Revel 4x4

Army Airborne Vet.

Reply #16
We moved our five sided table out from the wall about 9" and then toward the rear about 6". I built a tv lift box. I like the work FOT did with the coriander cut out and fireplace. Good thing I did not see that first (I expect that was a more expensive option than what we did, but I can still have that done.). I will try to attach a picture of our set up.
Another nice option. What size TV were you able to fit in the box?
2020 F350 Tremor - Sold
2017 F250 - Sold
2019 Sprinter Van - Sold
2022 Winnebago Revel 4x4

Army Airborne Vet.

Reply #17
We fit a 43" tv. We originally got a 49" tv but thought it looked too big. We did not design our cabinet around a 49" tv.

Deb
2003 U320 4010 - SOLD
2014 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel

Reply #18

This looks great!
1993 U300 40ft GV SE
Build # 4344

Western NC mountains

Reply #19
Our remodel!  We removed the cabinet behind the passenger chair and installed RecPro recliners.  Mounted the TV over the couch, as we wanted to keep it for grandkids, if needed.  We may decide to remove the couch and install a cabinet with TV lift in the future, but this works for us now.  55 inch and just the right size!
Joe & Dottie Allen
Sold!  December 2023.      2000 U320; build # 5645
Our coach " Maxine"
Motorcade #  15922;  Escapee 150950; FMCA F330833; Boondockers Welcome;  Harvest Hosts;  Thousand Trails
'98 U320 from 2000-'06
USAF '62-'66

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." ―Epicurus

Reply #20
Our remodel!  We removed the cabinet behind the passenger chair and installed RecPro recliners.  Mounted the TV over the couch, as we wanted to keep it for grandkids, if needed.  We may decide to remove the couch and install a cabinet with TV lift in the future, but this works for us now.  55 inch and just the right size!
That's a nice option, Please let me know how you mounted the TV safe for travel...Thanks
2020 F350 Tremor - Sold
2017 F250 - Sold
2019 Sprinter Van - Sold
2022 Winnebago Revel 4x4

Army Airborne Vet.

Reply #21
That's a nice option, Please let me know how you mounted the TV safe for travel...Thanks

I built a picture frame out of 2x4's and mounted a 3/4 inch plywood face to it and covered it with a black cloth and mounted the hanger for the TV.  It doesn't move!  Really mounted solid!  We bought the RecPro recliners on Amazon for $1100 and did the TV with hardware for under $300 complete.  Easy mod and less dollars.  Hope this helps!
Joe & Dottie Allen
Sold!  December 2023.      2000 U320; build # 5645
Our coach " Maxine"
Motorcade #  15922;  Escapee 150950; FMCA F330833; Boondockers Welcome;  Harvest Hosts;  Thousand Trails
'98 U320 from 2000-'06
USAF '62-'66

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." ―Epicurus