Skip to main content

Topic: Adding a Jake brake  (Read 1012 times) previous topic - next topic

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Adding a Jake brake
Yesterday I went out an bought a used Jake brake which I removed. I will get a rebuild kit for it before I install it.

Re: Adding a Jake brake
Reply #1
Be sure to post the installation and other parts needed to do the job. I might be interested in adding one also.

Reply #2
Is the retarder not enough? Just wondering

Reply #3
If you travel a lot of steep grades all the time, the Jake could take off some of the tranny heat. My retarder does work great, but I have to keep the coach geared down and rpm up to keep the transmission cool. My '96 Monaco with the 2 stage Jake...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Reply #4
Is the retarder not enough?
I'm not answering for OldGuy, but from reading his prior posts, I suspect he has several good logical reasons for wanting to add a Jake.

The "value" of different aux...

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
When driving last winter the retarder was awesome but those same hills I went roaring down, in the summer I would over heat.
I really like the idea of having both. Putting in a Jake brake was always in my plan if I got a Foretavel. Craneman,...

Reply #6
When driving last winter the retarder was awesome but those same hills I went roaring down, in the summer I would over heat.
I really like the idea of having both. Putting in a Jake brake was always...

Reply #7
I really like the idea of having both. Putting in a Jake brake was always...

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
When it comes to stopping more is always better. Look forward to its completion. Every heavy duty truck uses them. To me that means there cheap and work well. This has always been a back burner Idea. Really looking to see more.
Three types of...

Reply #9
Not saying more is not better but there is initial cost, maintenance, long grade, hot weather stopping power and possible owner mismanagement on slippery roads. Pros and Cons can be argued forever but remember, the service brakes are the primary...

Reply #10
Oldguy what exhaust does your coach have?

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #11
I have the stock exhaust, but I would still want one if I have a resonator. I don't plan on using it in towns, I have a retarder for town.
I had a foot switch for the exhaust brake in my last coach and I really like it. Going down hills to hold my...

Reply #12
Had a Custom build KW T300 set up as an RV tow 15 years ago biggest cat I could order through a 9 speed manual tranny with a jake brake.
The jake brake is so much better for long downhills, keep your foot off the brake, change down gears and the...

Reply #13
The  m11 engine downshifted helps the retarder somewhat more in keeping the trans temps down in the hills.  Also not being unnecessarily  concerned about mid 230's on the VPMS trans temp gauge for short stretches while in use. 

The Meritor disk...

Reply #14
Bob
When you say bring them back to new, what does that involve? Is it cleaning or new parts?
My brakes are good, but brakes can always be better!
David

Reply #15
New pads.  New pins.  New rotors.  Added retraction pins.  Correct grease bled off correctly.

Big time smoke first hard ride.  Seat the pads.  Smells.  Bedded in, much better action and capacity in my experience.

Like new when I drove these back then

Reply #16
I assume "Added retraction pins" is the auxiliary springs that aid on retraction.

Reply #17
Yes

Reply #18
I have seen some mention of exhaust valve springs and jake brakes. 

Reply #19
Quote from: Protech Racing link=msg=393111 date=1592669E917
I have seen some mention of exhaust valve springs and jake brakes. 
Exhaust brakes (PacBrake) on Dodge PUs. Quote: Keep your rpm under 3500 and you won't have to worry about floating a...

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #20
Today I got the valve crossheads change, the injector adjusting screws changed and the valves adjusted. They were all too tight.
Then I finish off installing the jake spacer. 

Reply #21
the valves adjusted. They were all too tight. 

That is a common thing on the engine after 50 or 60K and needs to be checked on a lot of coaches. Sounds like you are progressing nicely and should...

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #22
Finished the mechanical side of installing the Jake. Now comes the wiring which will take quite a bit
of figgering out. One thing I need to know is my engine M11 celect or M11 plus celect. I will want
to operate from a foot peddle. I don't mind if...

Reply #23
Call Cummins with your engine SN: Cummins 800-286-6467 

Reply #24
Finished the mechanical side of installing the Jake. Now comes the wiring which will take quite a bit
of figgering out. One thing I need to know is my engine M11 celect or M11 plus celect. I will...