Skip to main content
Topic: Adding a Jake brake  (Read 3388 times) previous topic - next topic

Adding a Jake brake

Yesterday I went out an bought a used Jake brake which I removed. I will get a rebuild kit for it before I install it.
Peter and Frieda Morin
1999 36ft. U320 Foretravel
Build # 5436
1998 Suzuki Sidekick Sport

Re: Adding a Jake brake

Reply #1
Be sure to post the installation and other parts needed to do the job. I might be interested in adding one also.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #2
Is the retarder not enough? Just wondering
1996 U295-36, Cummins 300hp, 8.3. Build number 4864. Vin number 1F97D536XTNO54271. Purchased October 31, 2019.

Reply #3
If you travel a lot of steep grades all the time, the Jake could take off some of the tranny heat. My retarder does work great, but I have to keep the coach geared down and rpm up to keep the transmission cool. My '96 Monaco with the 2 stage Jake did the same grades one gear higher and no trans temp issues.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.

Reply #4
I'm not answering for OldGuy, but from reading his prior posts, I suspect he has several good logical reasons for wanting to add a Jake.

The "value" of different aux braking devices has been discussed here in the past.  They all help - some more than others.

I thought the thread linked below contained some informative and enlightening posts.

Jake Brake vs PAC Brake vs Retarder?
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #5
When driving last winter the retarder was awesome but those same hills I went roaring down, in the summer I would over heat.
I really like the idea of having both. Putting in a Jake brake was always in my plan if I got a Foretavel. Craneman, hopefully I won't
need to much stuff. I know I will need a floor switch as I like to be in control. I don't want it working off my throttle.
Peter and Frieda Morin
Build # 5436

Reply #6
When driving last winter the retarder was awesome but those same hills I went roaring down, in the summer I would over heat.
I really like the idea of having both. Putting in a Jake brake was always in my plan if I got a Foretavel. Craneman, hopefully I won't
need to much stuff. I know I will need a floor switch as I like to be in control. I don't want it working off my throttle.
That's how my Monaco was set up jake pedal left of the steering column.

Reply #7
You could put in a floor switch but ours comes on whenever you lift the throttle. I didn't even notice it from the first time we had it switched on and let off on the throttle. At low rpm, you don't feel any effect. It's only at higher rpm that it comes into it's own. It's a very subtle thing. As you know I hate automatic transmissions and don't even like the HWH but the Jake is outstanding. Or I would not leave it switched on all the time.

Unless you have the window open and next to a wall or in a tunnel, you can't hear any extra noise. When in a tunnel, I always leave the window open so I can listen to the Detroit exhaust with the Jake the frosting on the cake.

Foretravel also put it on the CAT in the 1995 U300.

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #8
When it comes to stopping more is always better. Look forward to its completion. Every heavy duty truck uses them. To me that means there cheap and work well. This has always been a back burner Idea. Really looking to see more.
Three types of People  in the world.
People who make thinks happen
People Who watch things happen
People who wonder what happened
Scott
Scott and Kim Davidson
If you're going to be dumb, you got to be tough.
DEGOIWKY
Don't ever get old, it will kill you
June 30, 2020
2001 U320 3610 Barn find
Build 5834

Reply #9
Not saying more is not better but there is initial cost, maintenance, long grade, hot weather stopping power and possible owner mismanagement on slippery roads. Pros and Cons can be argued forever but remember, the service brakes are the primary method of slowing the vehicle. Best retarder, Jake or PAC brake won't make up for a poor operator technique.

Pierce
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #10
Oldguy what exhaust does your coach have?
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #11
I have the stock exhaust, but I would still want one if I have a resonator. I don't plan on using it in towns, I have a retarder for town.
I had a foot switch for the exhaust brake in my last coach and I really like it. Going down hills to hold my speed I don't want to use my brakes. I use the brakes for stopping. In my old coach the steepest I drove was 17 percent and in low gear with the exhaust brake
it held so I didn't have to use the brakes.
Peter and Frieda Morin
Build # 5436

Reply #12
Had a Custom build KW T300 set up as an RV tow 15 years ago biggest cat I could order through a 9 speed manual tranny with a jake brake.
The jake brake is so much better for long downhills, keep your foot off the brake, change down gears and the jake will be noisy and keep your speed down.
The retarder is nice when a little slowing is needed, it raises the transmission temp very quickly rendering it useless, I like the retarder but it's not substitute for a jake brake in mountain driving.
We all have different driving styles, every one to his own,
David & Emma Roche
Dino (Golden Doodle)
1999 U270 WTFE 36' Build # 5534
Xtreme "Lights, Stripes & Roof"
Motorcade# 18321
Dayton, Ohio
Towd: Jeep Grand Cherokee
Two Townie Electra Bikes

Life is made to enjoy, the Foretravel helps!

Reply #13
The  m11 engine downshifted helps the retarder somewhat more in keeping the trans temps down in the hills.  Also not being unnecessarily  concerned about mid 230's on the VPMS trans temp gauge for short stretches while in use. 

The Meritor disk brakes are cold blooded if not recently used and warmed up.

So if you need a panic stop the retarder is a much quicker stopping force.

I rebuilt the Meritors back to new condition which greatly helped my confidence in their heat absorption abilities after testing.

I do not use brakes on my towed so that factors in.  I should be so far no issues. 

Without the 3,600 pound tow the retarder and service brakes easily handle my normal hills. 
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
2007 Solara convertible

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430

Reply #14
Bob
When you say bring them back to new, what does that involve? Is it cleaning or new parts?
My brakes are good, but brakes can always be better!
David
David & Emma Roche
Dino (Golden Doodle)
1999 U270 WTFE 36' Build # 5534
Xtreme "Lights, Stripes & Roof"
Motorcade# 18321
Dayton, Ohio
Towd: Jeep Grand Cherokee
Two Townie Electra Bikes

Life is made to enjoy, the Foretravel helps!

Reply #15
New pads.  New pins.  New rotors.  Added retraction pins.  Correct grease bled off correctly.

Big time smoke first hard ride.  Seat the pads.  Smells.  Bedded in, much better action and capacity in my experience.

Like new when I drove these back then
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
2007 Solara convertible

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430

Reply #16
I assume "Added retraction pins" is the auxiliary springs that aid on retraction.
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #17
Yes
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
2007 Solara convertible

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430

Reply #18
I have seen some mention of exhaust valve springs and jake brakes. 

Reply #19
Quote from: Protech Racing link=msg=393111 date=1592669E917
I have seen some mention of exhaust valve springs and jake brakes. 
Exhaust brakes (PacBrake) on Dodge PUs. Quote: Keep your rpm under 3500 and you won't have to worry about floating a valve with stock valve springs. Above 3500rpm and or use of an exhaust brake= the need for 60lb valve springs. Exhaust brake - just exhaust side. 3500rpm and above, both intake and exhaust sides.

Pierce
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #20
Today I got the valve crossheads change, the injector adjusting screws changed and the valves adjusted. They were all too tight.
Then I finish off installing the jake spacer. 
Peter and Frieda Morin
Build # 5436

Reply #21
the valves adjusted. They were all too tight. 

That is a common thing on the engine after 50 or 60K and needs to be checked on a lot of coaches. Sounds like you are progressing nicely and should be finished pretty quick with what you have gotten done up to this point.

Mike
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters."

Reply #22
Finished the mechanical side of installing the Jake. Now comes the wiring which will take quite a bit
of figgering out. One thing I need to know is my engine M11 celect or M11 plus celect. I will want
to operate from a foot peddle. I don't mind if it would work on cruise automatically, but out of cruise
I need to be in control. Then I will have to take it to Cummins to program the computor.
Peter and Frieda Morin
Build # 5436

Reply #23
Call Cummins with your engine SN: Cummins 800-286-6467 
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #24
Finished the mechanical side of installing the Jake. Now comes the wiring which will take quite a bit
of figgering out. One thing I need to know is my engine M11 celect or M11 plus celect. I will want
to operate from a foot peddle. I don't mind if it would work on cruise automatically, but out of cruise
I need to be in control. Then I will have to take it to Cummins to program the computor.
A '99 is an ISM.
 Celect plus ended in 1997

Cummins M-series engine - Wikipedia