Skip to main content
Topic: Bluefire monitoring for Ipad (Read 1843 times) previous topic - next topic

Bluefire monitoring for Ipad

I am currently working on the final setup for my dash in bluefire.  Would love to hear from everyone that has any experience utilizing this system.  So far it seems to do as I expected it to.  There are a few things that are not monitored as the ECM doesn't have data for.  Just did another update to my previous dash program.  Still working the bugs out of it, now just need to get the map page up and running.  Just reloaded the software on another newer IPad due to the old one being very old and slow.  Of course I have revamped my gauge panel as well.
2003 U320 4220 42' Tag Axle
"Babe The Big Blue Ox"
Motorcade #18069
🤔Mark and Angela Bumgarner 😎

Re: Bluefire monitoring for Ipad

Reply #1
I have both the VMSPC and BlueFire.  Both are very good but VMSPC wasn't able to deal with some bad data packets coming from my ECM.  SilverLeaf tech support is good as well, but they told me that the data issue needed to be resolved on my side.  There was nothing they could do about it.  Mark at Bluefire said "I've got some ideas that might help the software deal with the bad data."  He also agreed to let me return the product if he wasn't able to solve it, regardless of the 30 day standard no-questions warranty period.  A few days later I was beta testing possible solutions and eventually he was able to solve it.  That coding is now included in his public release software.  He's been very good about continuous improvements, constantly issuing new beta versions and frequently publishing new production versions.  VMSPC seems less focused on the software development side, and I think their application and interface is becoming a little dated.  I would have been happy with either but Bluefire has won me over.  I think you'll like it.

By the way, version 4.0 of Bluefire was just released a few days ago for Windows, Android & iOS if you haven't already seen it, with a brand new 1st edition MacOS version coming very soon.

Reply #2
Wireless to my iPad.    Fantastic.  Much easier to use my Ram mount on the window shade pillar next to my drivers window shade.  Low out of my direct sight.  Thank you for the info
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #3
Looks really promising so far and thanks for the above information. I went to their site but can't seem to find any information there or on their forum if it works on Detroit DDEC engines. Anyone help here?

Looks like someone has finally made it work on Androids, iPads and now Macs. We are all Apple products with the exception of our Galaxy Tab S and Tab S2 tablets. As much as I like the iPads, the Tab S, S2 kick the iPad in the head and less expensive too. I just threw this in for those who might be purchasing their Bluetooth adapter but don't have a tablet yet.

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #4
Looks really promising so far and thanks for the above information. I went to their site but can't seem to find any information there or on their forum if it works on Detroit DDEC engines. Anyone help here?

Looks like someone has finally made it work on Androids, iPads and now Macs. We are all Apple products with the exception of our Galaxy Tab S and Tab S2 tablets. As much as I like the iPads, the Tab S, S2 kick the iPad in the head and less expensive too. I just threw this in for those who might be purchasing their Bluetooth adapter but don't have a tablet yet.

Pierce
It's all about the protocol that the data bus sends out J1708...etc.....Tablet or Ipad just visualizes that data
Hans & Marjet
1995 U300 "Ben" (#4719)
3176B Cat,4060HD,Jake
SKP#139131
Motorcade#17579
2006 Honda Element (towed)

Reply #5
Here are more photos of the finished setups for the old gal.  Really pleased with how it's turned out.
"Babe The Big Blue Ox"
Motorcade #18069

Reply #6
Looks really good. Nice job! I understand you can email the template to other owners once you design yours? I see they are going to offer a Mac version soon.

Pierce
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #7
That's correct you can share your custom dashes
"Babe The Big Blue Ox"
Motorcade #18069

Reply #8
It does take a little time to learn what your coach has to monitor but once you get the hang of it all it's pretty easy. 
"Babe The Big Blue Ox"
Motorcade #18069

Reply #9
You will only be able to monitor what your ECM allows you to monitor and some do not have all the systems monitored
"Babe The Big Blue Ox"
Motorcade #18069

Reply #10
I'm impressed.  That is a nice setup.
Rick & Rhonda
2003 U320 4220  Build #6199
Was
91 36' GV 300 Caterpillar, 92 40' U280 300 Cummins, 97 36' U295 300 Cummins, 2002
U320 450 Cummins
(Guess we're hooked)

The selected media item is not currently available.

Reply #11
Plus, it is wireless bluetooth to Android, Apple, Windows 10 and soon, Macs. Free app also with demo mode. Buy adapter at Amazon. See all information at: BlueFire LLC

Could trade templates like baseball cards. :))

Pierce
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #12
    I am currently working on the final setup for my dash in bluefire.  Would love to hear from everyone that has any experience utilizing this system.  So far it seems to do as I expected it to.  There are a few things that are not monitored as the ECM doesn't have data for.  Just did another update to my previous dash program.  Still working the bugs out of it, now just need to get the map page up and running.  Just reloaded the software on another newer IPad due to the old one being very old and slow.  Of course I have revamped my gauge panel as well.
    Sorry for the lack of knowledge on this. I've only seen the Silverleaf system one time, and it was not live, just a demo on youtube or something.
    What are the pros/cons vs the Silverleaf?
    Does one provide more info?
    Pricing differences?
    Easy of install?
    Are there standard applications for a Foretravel, Plug and Play?[/li][/list]

We have Apple and PC, and ipads

Thanks, Paul
    Prior 2003 U295  40ft  400Hp -Sold
    2020 F350 Tremor - Sold
    2021 Bundutec Roadrunner - Sold
    2017 Airstream Classic - Sold that POS
    2017 F250 - Sold
    2019 Sprinter Van - Sold
    2022 Winnebago Revel 4x4

Army Airborne Vet.

Reply #13
    Both receive the exact same data from your databus.  I don't think there's anything that one measures that the other does not.

I used the Silverleaf for years and have now been using Bluefire for about a year.  In my opinion, the only advantage to the Silverleaf VMSPC is that it provides estimated horsepower and torque values.  These are not measured directly but are calculated from the available data, such as RPM, boost, fuel rate or whatever it needs for the calculations.  The calculations are specific to your engine by applying an engine data file.  It's a nice feature but I found that I didn't use it much.  Others will say they can't live without it.

The Bluefire is much easier to install.  Simply plug the device into your diagnostics port under the dash.  No other wiring required. Other big advantages are bluetooth connectivity to your device, support for more devices (Apple) and what I think is a better software interface.  It is also about 1/2 the price of VMSPC.

I'll be selling my VMSPC and keeping the Bluefire.

Reply #14
    I understand now the new version as of yesterday now will do Detroit diesel.
    "Babe The Big Blue Ox"
    Motorcade #18069

Reply #15
    Both receive the exact same data from your databus.  I don't think there's anything that one measures that the other does not.

I used the Silverleaf for years and have now been using Bluefire for about a year.  In my opinion, the only advantage to the Silverleaf VMSPC is that it provides estimated horsepower and torque values.  These are not measured directly but are calculated from the available data, such as RPM, boost, fuel rate or whatever it needs for the calculations.  The calculations are specific to your engine by applying an engine data file.  It's a nice feature but I found that I didn't use it much.  Others will say they can't live without it.

The Bluefire is much easier to install.  Simply plug the device into your diagnostics port under the dash.  No other wiring required. Other big advantages are bluetooth connectivity to your device, support for more devices (Apple) and what I think is a better software interface.  It is also about 1/2 the price of VMSPC.

Thank you, Looks like this is the way to go for us. It appears easy and I don't care about HP and Torque calculations. Now I need to see how to purchase. Thanks Again.

Paul
    2020 F350 Tremor - Sold
    2017 F250 - Sold
    2019 Sprinter Van - Sold
    2022 Winnebago Revel 4x4

Army Airborne Vet.

Reply #16
    Here are more photos of the finished setups for the old gal.  Really pleased with how it's turned out.
    Love that ipad mount you are using, is this a RAM Mount, or other?
    2020 F350 Tremor - Sold
    2017 F250 - Sold
    2019 Sprinter Van - Sold
    2022 Winnebago Revel 4x4

Army Airborne Vet.

Reply #17
    Mark...can you share that template ...?? I downloaded a custom dash from Bluefire and thought it was yours. Looks like your current one will fit my needs better.

Thx

Hans
    Hans & Marjet
    1995 U300 "Ben" (#4719)
    3176B Cat,4060HD,Jake
    SKP#139131
    Motorcade#17579
    2006 Honda Element (towed)

Reply #18
    if purchasing direct from Bluefire use AMAZON in discount code to receive 19 dollars off the price
    Scott
    Scott and Kim Davidson
    If you're going to be dumb, you got to be tough.
    DEGOIWKY
    Don't ever get old, it will kill you
    June 30, 2020
    2001 U320 3610 Barn find
    Build 5834

Reply #19
    Send me an email and I will send you a copy of my dash setup
    "Babe The Big Blue Ox"
    Motorcade #18069

Reply #20
    Yes it's a ram mount
    "Babe The Big Blue Ox"
    Motorcade #18069

Reply #21
    As an aside to this when we would set up the rallye cars years ago back home we would turn all the gauges so that when everything was operating normally all the needles pointed straight up.  Looked weird at first.  All one had to do was glance at the gauges to see if all was well.

Keith
    Keith, Joyce & Smokey the Australian Cattle Dog
    1995 U320 SE Extreme 40' WTBI Build # 4780, with a Honda CR-V hopefully still following behind.
    Motorcade # 17030
    FMCA # F422159

Reply #22
    Same as an F18 cockpit I sat in
    "Riding and rejoicing"
    Bob & Susan
    2007 Solara convertible

1095 watts solar
    08 Ls 460 and a sc430

Reply #23
    I looked at Bob Rozens electronic dash he installed in his 97 U320 coach closely when I bought his complete dash set a few years ago.  I agree with roger that it required/enticed you to look down too much. 

I really appreciate the thought that Foretravel put into the stock gauge placement in the dash on our 97.  The top row can be viewed with either a quick direct view or adverted vision.

That being said the VPMS shows enough detail to help troubleshoot engine conditions.

Dash temp gauge shows high at 180 on VPMS. It shows almost 190.

At 210 they agree.

I had a electrical line to the toad come loose and that ran down the cars battery after 6 hours of driving.

Hooked up the wire again and the engine battery volts went up .2 volts as did the javalena dash oem gauge.

Meant that the cars battery was being charged back up to me.

After 2 hours the voltages dropped back the .2 volts.

The combiner helps as both banks are locked together when either is being charged.

The various battery gauges we have show that the replaced non adjustable LN alternator is overcharging all of our batteries in hot weather from .2 to .5 volts versus turn off the engine after a long run and have the gen on to run air conditioning and the inverter panel shows a much lower float voltage than the alternator was putting out.

I may swap out the new non adjustable alternator for the recently rebuilt LN same unit but with the adjustable voltage regulator set .2 volts lower than the non adjustable one is.

If I had a sense wire alternator and regular batteries versus lithium I might take off the sense wire in the summer. 
    "Riding and rejoicing"
    Bob & Susan
    2007 Solara convertible

1095 watts solar
    08 Ls 460 and a sc430

Reply #24
    Roger make a good point. Round gauges take up and waste a lot of space. Horizontal or vertical orientation give the most information in a limited space. I think Bluefire may also be able to do horizontal and vertical displays.

I fly with an engine analyzer all the time. I like a display that not only has the colors displayed but also a digital number to go with the graph. The number changes color as the temperature, etc goes beyond a user programmed limit. I have quite high compression so on a hot day, have to watch the cylinder head temps like a hawk and limit my rate of climb.

Below are two photos of the analyzer in action. You can get ideas on just what to include in your setup. This is all on a very small footprint.

Another factor is the operating system. Mac or Android owners may not want to purchase a Windows product if they have an existing product that will fill the bill.

Pierce
    '93 U300/36 WTBI
    Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
    1140 watts on the roof
    SBFD (ret)