Skip to main content

Topic: Turbo blanket and exhaust wrap  (Read 562 times) previous topic - next topic

Turbo blanket and exhaust wrap
Well more things to do.  Going to see how much difference it makes on intake temps and oil temps.  Anyone else out here already done it? Concerns, complaints, comments.

Re: Turbo blanket and exhaust wrap
Reply #1
Quite a few of us have.  Me included

Reply #2
So how has it work out for you guys?  And where did you order the turbo blanket from?

Reply #3
I did mine and it seems to help keep the temp down in engine bay
One precaution If you do it wear a good pair of gloves then when finished throw them away
Chris

Reply #4
I did a lot of blankets on the then new 6v92 unihomes,  cooler bedrooms.  Less noise by a little

Reply #5
I know there will be different opinions on this but............... my question is:

Does the turbo wrap shorten the life of the turbo, bearings, seals ect. , due to the increased heat contained in the turbo. Thinking it would definitely run hotter...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Reply #6
I had thought about that but decided that as long as the oil circulation was working properly it would be ok.  If the oil flow gets cut off then turbo won't last 30 min anyway with or without blanket.  The other thing I looked at was reviews-- I...

Reply #7
As long as you do the 5 minute fast idle before shutting down, the oil won't coke. The oil temperature comes down much slower than the coolant temp. If you can't remember to do that, use synthetic oil. It won't coke at all.

The turbo blanket and...

Reply #8
Also my experience with VERY VERY large pipeline in compressor/engine units is it helped all the way around not just temps but overall.

Reply #9
Here's on old thread on the subject: Turbo Blanket part number wanted

Reply #10
Heat shields seem to me to offer better turbo life

Reply #11
Update, it's gong to run around 900.00 for a full turbo, exhaust manifold, and exhaust pipe custom made blanket.

Reply #12
If you go to ebay, you can find turbo blankets/heat shields starting at $13 delivered. Depending on the turbo size, they probably average about $35 plus the pipe wrap. Easy to install, just buy the right one for the size of your turbo. turbo...

• MarkC
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #13
Is there a benefit other than blocking the heat to install a blanket.  I have lined the floor, and inside and outside of the bed pedestal lined with Dynamat and have no heat coming into the bedroom.  Is it worth putting a blanket on too ?

Reply #14
Mark,

Here is a quote courtesy of PTP Turbos https://www.ptpturboblankets.com/blogs/faqs/what-are-the-benefits-of-using-a-turbo-blanket:

There are several substantial benefits of using a turbo blanket. Here are just a few:

"First, a turbo blanket...