Skip to main content
Topic: Turbo blanket and exhaust wrap  (Read 931 times) previous topic - next topic

Turbo blanket and exhaust wrap

Well more things to do.  Going to see how much difference it makes on intake temps and oil temps.  Anyone else out here already done it? Concerns, complaints, comments.
2003 U320 4220 42' Tag Axle
"Babe The Big Blue Ox"
Motorcade #18069
🤔Mark and Angela Bumgarner 😎

Re: Turbo blanket and exhaust wrap

Reply #1
Quite a few of us have.  Me included
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #2
So how has it work out for you guys?  And where did you order the turbo blanket from?
"Babe The Big Blue Ox"
Motorcade #18069

Reply #3
I did mine and it seems to help keep the temp down in engine bay
One precaution If you do it wear a good pair of gloves then when finished throw them away
Chris
1999 U 320 DGFE
Build Number 5523
Chris & Elka Lang
In the field, Lonoke AR

Reply #4
I did a lot of blankets on the then new 6v92 unihomes,  cooler bedrooms.  Less noise by a little
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #5
I know there will be different opinions on this but............... my question is:

Does the turbo wrap shorten the life of the turbo, bearings, seals ect. , due to the increased heat contained in the turbo. Thinking it would definitely run hotter with wrap than without.

I have wrap on the exhaust system up to but not on the turbo.

Justin & Cathy Byrd
1995 U280 "Old Faithful"
36' Build #4673
C8.3 Cummins
Allison MD3060R 6 speed - retarder
Powertech 10KW  4cyl Kubota

Reply #6
I had thought about that but decided that as long as the oil circulation was working properly it would be ok.  If the oil flow gets cut off then turbo won't last 30 min anyway with or without blanket.  The other thing I looked at was reviews-- I didn't see any really negative reviews and I would expect to see a lot if there were problems developing
Just my thought
Chris
1999 U 320 DGFE
Build Number 5523
Chris & Elka Lang
In the field, Lonoke AR

Reply #7
As long as you do the 5 minute fast idle before shutting down, the oil won't coke. The oil temperature comes down much slower than the coolant temp. If you can't remember to do that, use synthetic oil. It won't coke at all.

The turbo blanket and wrap keeps the engine compartment safer in case of a hose failure with oil on the turbo. With a Detroit 6V-92TA, the turbo is mounted only about 3 inches below the bed so the wrap is more important plus the Detroit turbo is larger so radiates more heat.

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #8
Also my experience with VERY VERY large pipeline in compressor/engine units is it helped all the way around not just temps but overall.
"Babe The Big Blue Ox"
Motorcade #18069

Reply #9
Here's on old thread on the subject: Turbo Blanket part number wanted
John Fitzgerald
1991 U300 (SAI) Side Aisle Island Bed 40'
Detroit 6V92 with Allison Retarder
Meridian (Boise), Idaho

Reply #10
Heat shields seem to me to offer better turbo life
1996 U295-36, Cummins 300hp, 8.3. Build number 4864. Vin number 1F97D536XTNO54271. Purchased October 31, 2019.

Reply #11
Update, it's gong to run around 900.00 for a full turbo, exhaust manifold, and exhaust pipe custom made blanket.
"Babe The Big Blue Ox"
Motorcade #18069

Reply #12
If you go to ebay, you can find turbo blankets/heat shields starting at $13 delivered. Depending on the turbo size, they probably average about $35 plus the pipe wrap. Easy to install, just buy the right one for the size of your turbo. turbo blankets | eBay

Pierce
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #13
Is there a benefit other than blocking the heat to install a blanket.  I have lined the floor, and inside and outside of the bed pedestal lined with Dynamat and have no heat coming into the bedroom.  Is it worth putting a blanket on too ?
Mark & Bev
2001 U295 36'
Cummins ISC 8.3 350HP
Build #5802
Jeep Wrangler Toad

Reply #14
Mark,

Here is a quote courtesy of PTP Turbos https://www.ptpturboblankets.com/blogs/faqs/what-are-the-benefits-of-using-a-turbo-blanket:

There are several substantial benefits of using a turbo blanket. Here are just a few:

"First, a turbo blanket protects components within your engine bay. The turbo blanket isolates the heat produced by your turbocharger, and prevents that heat from damaging, or even igniting, components surrounding the turbocharger within your engine compartment, such as plastic and rubber hoses and electrical wiring, as well as painted surfaces, such as the engine bay and the surface of the hood. Also, it prevents areas of localized high temperature from damaging the engine itself. For example, a common cause of head gasket failure in turbocharged vehicles is localized heating of a portion of the engine. The heat differential between the portion of the engine near the turbocharger and the rest of the engine can cause warping of the head, and thus, head gasket failure. This has been a known cause of head gasket failure in both OEM and aftermarket turbocharged vehicles.

Second, a turbo blanket improves the performance of your turbocharger by keeping "the hot side hot." In keeping the exhaust gases within the turbocharger hot, turbocharger efficiency is improved. As you may know, the hotter a gas is, the more expansive it is. Within a contained system of a specified size, the more expansive a gas is, the greater the pressure derived and thus, the greater the flow of gas to escape the containment. With this increased pressure and flow rate for a given engine RPM, the acceleration of the turbocharger's impeller is increased as compared to the same turbocharger with the engine at the same RPM but with cooler exhaust gases. This equates to faster spool up of the turbocharger, as well as greater attainable levels of boost. What a driver will experience with a turbo blanket is greater turbocharger responsiveness. The faster spool up of the turbocharger means less turbo lag and a more linear power curve.

Third, a turbo blanket improves the performance of your turbocharger by keeping "the cool side cool." As you may know, it is very important to keep engine intake air cool. This is why intercoolers are often utilized with turbochargers. Similar to above, the cooler a gas is (such as intake air), the more dense it is. The more dense the intake air, the more oxygen it contains per unit volume. The more oxygen reaches the engine, the more power can be obtained. In keeping the heat of the exhaust gases contained within the hot side of the turbocharger and away from the cool side of the turbocharger and the intake path, more oxygen per unit volume reaches the engine, and thus, more power.
"
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)