Skip to main content
Topic: Help I have Gen Power but NO Shore Power (Read 495 times) previous topic - next topic

Help I have Gen Power but NO Shore Power

I own a 2007 Foretravel Nimbus Model 336.  Today while I was connected to shore power the circuit breaker for my front air conditioner tripped.  After I reset the circuit breaker I had no shore power.  I tried the generator, and everything worked fine.  I checked the power pedestal in the RV Park and it checked out fine. 

I'm thinking it is either the 50 amp power cord (TDI Shoreline Reel Model # RV5036), or the transfer switch. 

Can anyone tell me where I find the transfer switch on a 2007 Foretravel Nimbus Model 336?

Does anyone know if there is a replacement for the TDI Shoreline Reel Model # RV5036?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

John

Re: Help I have Gen Power but NO Shore Power

Reply #1
Not sure how your 2007 is factory wired, but see this post about a 2003: Help - NO shore power into coach 
Dan - Full timing since 2009
2003 U320 40' Tag 2 slide

Reply #2
Any luck on resolving it?
Dan - Full timing since 2009
2003 U320 40' Tag 2 slide

Reply #3
Dan,

I found the Transfer Switch, it is in the bay with the charger/converter/inverter.  I thought it was only a surge protector, and did not realize it was also the Transfer Switch.  It was staring me right in the face.  My coach had the Surge Guard TRC 40250-RVC1.

I though I had tested everything correctly, and assumed the Transfer Switch was bad.  So I ordered a New Transfer Switch.  Surge Guard TRC 40350-RVC1 is the replacement model for the 40250 and then I also had to order a new display monitor (TRC 40299 Surge Guard Remote Display RV Power for ATS) for inside the coach, because the old one would not work with the new Transfer Switch. 

I got the new Transfer Switch installed-not an easy job because of the very stiff wiring.  Well guess what, the new Transfer Switch did not solve the problem.  Thats what happens when one is in over their head.

My neighbor lady in my RV Park has a son that has a mobile RV repair business, and he was working on his mother's trailer the same day I was working on my coach.  He was willing on a short notice for no charge help diagnose my problem.  It is good to know there are still some very nice people in this world.

He said my transfer switch was not getting enough power to activate on shore power.  He said I either had a power cord problem, or my RV site's electric pedestal was defective.  He concluded the Power Cord was the problem. 

My Power Cord Reel (TDI Shoreline Reel Model # RV5036) is much too complex for me to figure out.  However I believe power is transferred using brushes and contact rings.  This means the actual power cord going into the coach is connected to the outside of the Power Cord Reel by 4 terminals.  The power cord that connects to the RV Parks Electrical Pedestal is connected to the inside of the Power Cord Reel by 4 terminals and the electrical power is actually transferred using brushes and contact rings. 

So I ended up yanking out the whole Power Cord Reel.  It was held together by rivets, so they all had to be drilled out.  I had to take the whole thing apart to disconnect the four terminals for the power cord going into the coach, and disconnect the four terminals for the power cord going to the Park Electric Pedestal. 

One of the hot wires going to a terminal inside the Power Cord Reel was actually burned so badly the terminal connector was burned away and part of the heavy duty copper wire was burned away.  After cutting off the burned up stuff, I hard wired the two 50 amp cords back together.  So now at least I got shore power again.

No more Power Cord Reels for me.  They are convenient but can end up being a pain in the XXX!!!.

So now I have to store my power cord by hand.

I guess I wasted my time & money putting in a new Transfer Switch.  Although the old Transfer Switch was 13 years old-so I will just keep the new one-they are too hard to take out and install.

Attached are some Images:

1)  Old Transfer Switch (2)

2)  New Transfer Switch (2)

3)  Old Power Cord Reel

4)  Burned Up Heavy Duty Copper Wire

5)  What it looks like without the Power Cord Reel

Most people like to make a long story short, but I made a long story even longer!!!

If anyone ever runs into a problem like mine and you have a Power Cord Reel-that is the first place I would look.

John