Skip to main content
Topic: Engine Radiator R&R (Read 840 times) previous topic - next topic

Engine Radiator R&R

The radiator on my 95 U320 is not leaking or giving me any trouble.
I know eventually the original radiator WILL give me trouble so as a PM I would like to have it and the CAC rebuilt or replaced.

I contacted Atlas, the original manufacturer, and was quoted a price for a new radiator, CAC, and S&H. They offered me a "special Corona" deal that sounds good.

I also have sent the blueprints for the radiator and CAC to a local heavy equipment radiator shop to try and get a estimate for a re-build.

My problem is the R&R. I know its heavy and has to come out from the bottom. I have all the tools and jacks and a Kubota tractor with forks, bucket and backhoe to help lift in and out.

This will most likely be a one (old) man job.
I have called several truck repair places that the radiator shop recommended. As soon as they hear motorhome they run for cover and don't want to touch it.

From those that have actually done this what would your advice be?
How far up does the rear of the coach need to be lifted to R&R the radiator?
Would you rebuild or replace with new, the radiator and CAC?

Is the trans cooler part of the radiator? Would this be part of a new radiator or re-build?
Would a new hydro fan speed controller as Bob has motioned be replaced at this time?
1995 U320C SE 40'
Jeep 4x4 Commander - Limited - Hemi
"The Pack"  Yogi and Diesel our Airedales -  Charlie our Boxer/Akita mix. Gone but NEVER forgotten Jake our yellow Lab.
NRA Law Enforcement Firearms instructor - Handgun/shotgun
Regional Firearms instructor for national Armored Transp. Co.

Re: Engine Radiator R&R

Reply #1
The fan controllers are very reliable.  Yours if it's the same as mine it had  an over power consuming temp setting in its design.

The correct one has the engine temps exactly the same just better gas mileage and more power to the wheels.

You would need to get the correct one from source engineering in Oregon.

You old one works fine just the wrong temp specification.  Turns on fully if the motor has warmed up
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #2
The fan controllers are very reliable.  Yours if it's the same as mine it had  an over power consuming temp setting in its design.

The correct one has the engine temps exactly the same just better gas mileage and more power to the wheels.

You would need to get the correct one from source engineering in Oregon.

You old one works fine just the wrong temp specification.  Turns on fully if the motor has warmed up
Your assumption is that he wants to do like you did instead of putting coach back to original configuration.
Future Foretravel Owners
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Retired USAF, Retired DOD Civ's
FAA A&P, Indust. Eng., Acft Depot Lvl. Maint.
Larry and Becky Rountree

Reply #3
Start at reply #9 for details

Radiator replacement (photos)
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #4
1. From those that have actually done this what would your advice be?
2. How far up does the rear of the coach need to be lifted to R&R the radiator?
3. Would you rebuild or replace with new, the radiator and CAC?
4. Is the trans cooler part of the radiator?
5. Would this be part of a new radiator or re-build?
6. Would a new hydro fan speed controller as Bob has motioned be replaced at this time?

Lon,
1. If you feel the need to do it for your piece of mind then get to it.  It is a DIY job for some not so much for others.
2. Just to the top of the travel of the air bags.
3. Clean and press the radiator and new tank gaskets. CAC can be re-cored and use the same end caps.
4. No
5. The trans cooler will need to be replace with a new style with floating heads.
6. No way

Mike

Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters."

Reply #5
My u320 rad was changed in the Hotel Cortez RV LOT. We pulled the batteries, removed the Cac , be very careful in removing it. The rad turned sideways and came out the side. I removed.the Grille and rear fender. Two people wrestled it into position and we bolted it in.
The original rad will be HEAVY .I think it must have had a a lot of Crud in it. We recorded the rad,.using the old tanks, which were like new.
The New Rad works as it should . Never had a cooling problem, it just started to weep.
Not exactly my favorite job, but it wasn't as bad as I imagined when I spotted the leak .
I refilled 50-50 Antifreeze and Distilled water
That makes it good to minus 45 deg, and with a 15 lb. Cap boiling point is 267 deg.

Working Great. One more worry GONE.
Safe travels
Dave
2001 U320 40ft
Build #5867
2003 Tracker
VE7DOD

Reply #6
On our 2002 U320, we took on this task this spring. I had "weeping" and rust at the end saddles. Thought it was prudent to change as a preventive maintenance measure.  Contacted Atlas directly and had the radiator assembly only shipped, as the CAC looked to be in good shape. They were great.

I agree 100% with Mike's reply #4 and also Craneman's pointer to Sven and Kristi post. We used that post, (Sven) to formulate our approach to replace the radiator. The photos were extremely helpful !!! It can be a DIY job. Took us several days.

It's a really, really dirty job! There are some heavy lifting aspects, radiator and the fuel line cooler. Significant amount of radiator coolant and motor oil from the hydraulics will need to be drained. Get multi colored tie wraps to carefully key or map where hoses go! Carefully disassemble the hydraulic fan assembly. That's a heavy lift given the room you have to work in.

I was really the "helper" and Ron (redtractor) was the expert mechanic! We accomplished this on his gravel driveway. Just like in Sven's photos, it was key to have the back end over a declining slope to get the clearance to get the whole assembly down and away. We were very fortunate that my 2002 has the side radiator cover on a hinge, you will need to take the fender off on yours. We used Ron's tractor to get the new radiator on a skid close to the coach. This assembly in not movable without equipment. We were able to use only one Harbor freight jack, (two are better) to get the radiator almost out... The last 6+ inches to the ground is really tough!  Ron, ingeniously came up with a solution: he took some 3/4" threaded rod and he screwed them into the upper radiator mounts and to the old radiator that had been lowered and still resting on the jack. Now hanging from the rod, we pulled out the harbor freight jack and lowered to the ground. This worked REALLY well, and was much safer!  At that point you can disassemble the bulk of radiators, CAC, etc... Then using the tractor to move the old out, move the new in... Reassemble everything, use the 3/4" rods to get the radiator assembly back up and off the ground where you can get the jack under it and back up to the mounts.

It was a tough two person job... You might need some assistance at various parts. Also, carefully examine the old unit to new unit. We were missing one mount on the new unit, thankfully caught that omission and bolted up a new mount we "torched" off the old radiator. It is very important to protect the air  tubes and CAC on disassembly and reassembly. Cover and mask off all the openings and pipes, you do NOT want any contamination in that Turbo air route. Check alignment of the two fans within the shroud  prior to final tightning. Lastly, there was a significant amount of "road crud" between all the radiator assemblies, (which we cleaned) that were likely contributing to bad air flow within the cooling assembly.

On the road now, will see if I can find some more photos to include.

Best, Jeff

Jeff & Kristen
2002 U320 build #6039
Living the Dream!

Reply #7
There may have been a change in the radiators from early U320's to the somewhat later production units.

Why do I say that? My old buddy Mike Grimes mentioned to me one day on the phone that he stocked "heavy duty" replacement radiators. 

No idea what that meant.  Different from any others?  No idea.  A running change?  Some weaker than others? 

Maybe a call to Atlas might give more info?

Lon I would be interested in your removed radiators condition report.

And if Atlas made any changes to different years production?

Like i mentioned mike said his stock for my coach was heavy duty. 

He thought it was different.  From what?  Or just talking points

"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #8
Thanks for all the info, the pictures are priceless.
1995 U320C SE 40'
Jeep 4x4 Commander - Limited - Hemi
"The Pack"  Yogi and Diesel our Airedales -  Charlie our Boxer/Akita mix. Gone but NEVER forgotten Jake our yellow Lab.
NRA Law Enforcement Firearms instructor - Handgun/shotgun
Regional Firearms instructor for national Armored Transp. Co.

Reply #10
On our 1999 U320 I unbolted the fans/shrouds and let them dangle.  Then I unbolted the steel and skirt that went across the rear of the coach and slid the radiator out on a harbor freight transmission jack.  Worked well.  Very dirty job!  This was in the parking lot of the place that made the radiator.  One of the brackets needed rewelded.  It's since broke again and now has been fixed with a contraption of angle iron and threaded rod.

Reply #11
Check Huffman Radiator in Sinton tx,better prices and service then Atlas.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #12
John, will Huffman dismantle and install or just radiator services
1996 U295-36, Cummins 300hp, 8.3. Build number 4864. Vin number 1F97D536XTNO54271. Purchased October 31, 2019.

Reply #13
Not sure,check with them.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.