Skip to main content
Topic: Help! High Temp light on Generator  (Read 452 times) previous topic - next topic

Help! High Temp light on Generator

I am an hour from leaving and went to cool the coach down to make the wife happy.  Rookie mistake! I had the coach plugged in with 110 and I forgot to unplug before starting the generator. Not sure if that could be a cause of my issue.

Generator fires right up and was running great then I realized I was plugged in so I unplugged and got a small spark. A few minutes later the generator shuts off with high temp.  After cooling off and checking for breakers I started the generator back up and same thing happened again.  I can not tell if the fan under the drivers seat is on or not. Coolant levels seem good.

Hoping to leave soon so any help is appreciated!!
2000 U320 36'
Build #5705

Re: Help! High Temp light on Generator

Reply #1
Does your coach have generator radiator in front driver compartment? If so you should be able to see if fan is running. May be as simple as $7.00 run capacitor
2014 ih45  (4th Foretravel owned)
 1997 36' U295 Sold in 2020, owned for 19 years
  U240 36' Sold to insurance company after melting in garage fire
    33' Foretravel on Dodge Chassis  Sold very long time ago

Reply #2
Does your coach have generator radiator in front driver compartment? If so you should be able to see if fan is running. May be as simple as $7.00 run capacitor
[/quote

It does have the fan under the drivers seat.  I can not tell if it is running. I was thinking that I might have blown a breaker but a capacitor makes sense too.  Can you tell me where the capacitor is?
2000 U320 36'
Build #5705

Reply #3
The capacitor is on the back side of the fan. Fan assembly has to come out to replace capacitor.  You need to check to see if you have thrown a water pump belt before you pull  the fan.  Verify that the fan is getting power because you may have a bad breaker.

are you checking the water in the over flow tank or where the radiator cap is?

Mike
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters."

Reply #4
The capacitor is on the back side of the fan. Fan assembly has to come out to replace capacitor.  You need to check to see if you have thrown a water pump belt before you pull  the fan.  Verify that the fan is getting power because you may have a bad breaker.

are you checking the water in the over flow tank or where the radiator cap is?

Mike

Thank you Mike. Can you give me some more details please. The belt is intact on the generator. I will open up the junction box above the fan and check for power. As far as a bad breaker, what breaker are you talking about? I had to reset the water pump and water fill breakers after unplugging the shore 110. Could there be another breaker I am unaware of that is simply tripped? (for the fan)
2000 U320 36'
Build #5705

Reply #5
Depending on which generator set up you have the fan is fed off the main generator breaker.  Some fans have a separate breaker that is mounted on the front of the control panel that feeds the fan.  On these units there is a jumper wire from the main breaker to the fan breaker then the wire goes to the junction box over the fan.

Mike
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters."

Reply #6
To add to what Mike said, if yours has a control box like this, check to ensure the small breaker is reset and toggle off/on the switch for the fan.  This is from a 1997, so yours might be different.
40ft 1997 U320

Reply #7
Seems as if I had some mud dobbers make a nest in the fan cage causing just enough resistance that the fan would not turn. Knocked it out and she took off.

Thank you everyone!
2000 U320 36'
Build #5705

Reply #8
Seems as if I had some mud dobbers make a nest in the fan cage causing just enough resistance that the fan would not turn. Knocked it out and she took off.

Thank you everyone!
Gotta like those like of fixes! 
40ft 1997 U320

Reply #9
Check fluid....Check petcock above thermostat (bleed for air).....circuit breaker is small button on front of control box.
John
John and Stacey Smith
Motorcade NO: 11973
1997 U295 CSGI 40'..Build No. 5036     
920 Watts on the roof..CAT Power w/fuel Inj. Programmer
2021 GMC Sierra AT4 1500
EX..2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Ex 1990 U280 RSAI 36'..Build No. 3638

Reply #10
If the generator will run for a few minutes you should be able to tell if the fan is on. When it's cool open the petcock at the top of the radiator and see if coolant comes out. If it doesn't get a helper, open the petcock and SLOWLY pour coolant in the radiator cap on the generator till it comes out the petcock and have your helper close it while you pour till the coolant overflows. Start the Ginny and if the water/coolant goes down pour till it fills up and put the cap on.. it will probably be best to turn the 2 breakers ( in the pic in the left corner) off while trying this to not have the voltage going off and on to the transfer switch, just don't forget to turn them back on when you get the problem solved. Does the high temp light come on when it shuts down? I had a shutting down problem and it ended up being the control board that has the lights on it...

Keith
The selected media item is not currently available.Keith & Jo
2003 U320T 4025 PBBS Designer series
Build 6203    Cummins 500hp
2000 U320 4010 WTFE / Build 5762 —Sold—
Motorcade #18070   
Pasadena, Texas
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara-Sunset Orange pearl coat
Don't argue with a fool, people watching might not be able to tell the difference.