Skip to main content
Topic: Brake low air chime alarm  (Read 753 times) previous topic - next topic

Brake low air chime alarm

Once again I just can't let things be, this evening I tore into a problem on my coach that has plagued a lot of us on here with the low air alarm going off and not being able to shut it off.  My coach had the electronic  air gauges replaced with mechanical ones before I purchased the coach due to them being non operational and no replacements available.  When this modification is done most cases the blue box has failed to properly report air pressures and thus causing the chime to sound continuously.  Most cases we just unplugged the alarm which then leaves you with no audible alarm for any of the other faults that are monitored and can occur.  Well I decided to dig into the bowels of the foretravel wiring, I found a great solution to enable the chime to be used but just not in the case of the low air fault, in turn allows you to continue to use it for all the other faults that are shown on the dash warning lamps, ie level system, engine stop, ABS fault etc also allows you to hear when your turn signals are on as well.  I did what most everyone does unplugged the chime to stop it.  There is a single wire that sends a signal to the annunciator control then to the chime.  The wire id is the low air alarm wire that runs from the blue box over to the chime controller.  Cutting or disconnecting it will stop the chime, it however still allows the two dash led to light to show low air fault.  Next step is to install another audible alarm for low air pressure that will connect to the signal wire to the LED warning lamp.  Problem solved, and switch that controls the LED still will allow you to shut off the air alarm when parked as well.  If anyone wants more info give me an email and I will talk you thru it.  I will post pictures when I get it all finalized.
2003 U320 4220 42' Tag Axle
"Babe The Big Blue Ox"
Motorcade #18069
🤔Mark and Angela Bumgarner 😎

Re: Brake low air chime alarm

Reply #1
Disconnected mine... the chime was on constantly, and the volume was so low you could hardly hear it..One of these Days I should fix it. I think a Red light would be a better idea.
Safe Travels
Dave

2001 U320 40ft
Build #5867
2003 Tracker
VE7DOD

Reply #2
Mark, can you show an expanded picture of the wiring on the drawing please. Just that small one does not show a real location tomus non electronic people. Also the drwg # that it is in, please.
JohnH
Coachless, now use aircraft.
1994 Ford E350 ClassC,total renovation inside and out. Now sold.
2000 U295  36' Cummins 350 c/w Banks Stinger, Resonator upgrade,Solar, LED lites.Residential fridge with slide out pantry. Build 5674. Sold
ex 92 GV 022C ored Cummins. Sold
ex 95 GV240 cat 3116. Sold
2017 Mini cooper s & 2016 land Rover LR2 HSE  LUX.
jhaygarth@aol.com    SKP #130098
treat everyone as you would like to be.

Reply #3
Disabling the annunciator?  Add a switch to selectively turn it off. If off then turn/4way signals make no noise. That is easily fixed with a couple of diodes in the turn signal circuits to power the annunciator when signals are on 

Turn Signal Beeper Work-around When Annunciator is Disconnected.

Reply #4
Roger, that is another way to make the repair, I just went a few steps further to make it still correctly work for all the other annunciations from the level system, turn signals, ABS warning etc.  I spent a little time analyzing the wire schematic for my coach and decided to allow it to retain the factory alarm notification but just not for the low air fault.  Having a EE degree just don't help me leave things alone.
"Babe The Big Blue Ox"
Motorcade #18069

Reply #5
Another quick tidbit I fashioned a new low air alarm that is to be connected to the led lamps that will annunciate a low air alarm. Along with diodes to stop the current flow from each dash lamp In order to allow one buzzer to be used for both tank alarm switches.  And it's completely separate from the other chime for the other coach faults, no question that it's low air.
"Babe The Big Blue Ox"
Motorcade #18069

Reply #6
Having same problem on 2003 U295. Any more information before I replace gauges

Reply #7
Having same problem on 2003 U295. Any more information before I replace gauges

Do you actually have a low-air situation?  That should be a separate topic (this one's about dealing with the enunciator after switching to mechanical gauges due to blue/grey box failure).  I can split this off for you if that's the case.
Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Lifetime Escapees' member SKP 82766
Former 1999 30IB Lazy Daze (2000-2004)
Former 2003 U320 (2004-2016)
Former 2017 LTV Unity (2017-2023)
Shopping for our next coach

Reply #8
Disabling the annunciator?  Add a switch to selectively turn it off. If off then turn/4way signals make no noise. That is easily fixed with a couple of diodes in the turn signal circuits to power the annunciator when signals are on 

Turn Signal Beeper Work-around When Annunciator is Disconnected.

So many good posts... what an emptiness left
2002 U320 36' Single axle  MOST MODED IN HISTORY SO MUCH ITS ALMOST ILLIGAL
2 slides ( living room and bedroom)
undisclosed
male
female
genderless
nonbinary
transgendered

Reply #10
Found inlet check valve clogged. Replaced valve. All ok now.

Clogged?  White powder/residue (desiccant) from failed air dryer?
Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Lifetime Escapees' member SKP 82766
Former 1999 30IB Lazy Daze (2000-2004)
Former 2003 U320 (2004-2016)
Former 2017 LTV Unity (2017-2023)
Shopping for our next coach