Skip to main content

Topic: Help Needed - Interior Renovations Started (good news/bad news) (Read 786 times) previous topic - next topic

Help Needed - Interior Renovations Started (good news/bad news)
We started our interior renovations of the coach by removing all the living room furniture, front seats, and carpet.

Our plan is to convert the bedroom into a bunk room for the kids, and find or build a more comfortable fold out/pull out sofa bed...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Help Needed - Interior Renovations Started (good news/bad news)
Reply #1
A few additional pics of the driver fender area.

• Andy 2
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
Hey Chip , looks like you have a pretty big project in front of you. Looking from the outside in your first priority would be see the extent of damage to the side wall.
You may need to seek some serious help with that. 
That being said can you...

Reply #3
I meant to post this picture too. The main damage seems to be concentrated under the furnace area. The side wall doesn't seem impacted, though I have a scope camera I'll use this afternoon to check around further.

I plan to remove the rotted...

• Andy 2
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
Well good deal on the side walls hard to tell in the pictures, would think the scope would be able to give you a better idea.
Look forward to what you find👍

Reply #5
The cap comes loose and water intrudes from the seam and fender joints.

Reply #6
Had a little time today to start pulling up the rotten floor. Definitely glad the problem seems isolated to this one spot. There are other adjacent areas that look a little water stained, but tapping on them seem solid.

I'll still pull off all...

Reply #7
Replace the metal OR "sister" it (through bolt angle or box on either side of the damaged box beam). No welding needed.

That is not an area that sees a lot of traffic.  As long as the structure by the outer wall is good, you should be OK

Oh, and be...

Reply #8
Thanks Brett - will do regarding the HWH sensor. I suspected I'd need to recalibrate it, and I do have the exact location marked where it was located. Can I move it to a nearby location as long as it is in the same vicinity and not beyond too...

Reply #9
Thanks Brett - will do regarding the HWH sensor. I suspected I'd need to recalibrate it, and I do have the exact location marked where it was located. Can I move it to a nearby location as long as...

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #10
Chip7, you must go on roof and check all the joints at trim strips and sealed sections around roof equipment etc. On the edge radius doa very close inspection for fine cracks and check around windows for gaps on the frames and fibreglass panels....

Reply #11
Cleaned out the insulation and discovered a couple of holes in the FRP above the front wheel. Since the foam is closed cell and seemed well glued to the FRP, I don't think this was the source of any water intrusion. I'll devise a patch for the...

Reply #12
Pictures of the progress:

Reply #13
Someone else can confirm it also works on your air leveling system-- I have not had to calibrate the exact same one you have.
Re: The HWH level sensor - Brett's advice is spot on - as usual.

To...

Reply #14
Thanks Chuck - makes sense about the "floating". We will be building or modifying a sofa bed to go above the furnace, and I may wait to finalize a mounting place until that is figured out.

There might be enough length in the wire to take it back...

Reply #15
Maybe mount it under the bottom drawer across from the steps?
That is, in fact, exactly where the sensor was factory mounted in some Foretravel models.  Would work fine.   8)

Reply #16
Quote from: Chip7  -  21 minutes ago
Maybe mount it under the bottom drawer across from the steps.

That is where I placed ours after I removed the j-couch, works fine.

Roland

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #17
Chip,get on the Rust Bullet site and order some paint to go over the rust oleum,will hold up much better and the square tubes that you salvage,get some spray undercoat or similar product and get inside the tube as much as you can.

Reply #18
Be very careful welding near the ply and veneer/ foam . That stuff is begging for a little flame and goes up very fast. Have buckets and hoses ready.
Weld out side away from  any structures that you like ..

Reply #19
John - anything you recommend that's comparable to rust bullet and available locally (Home Depot, etc)? Trying to get this wrapped up so we can begin flooring on Thursday.

Thanks!

• Texhub
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #20
For metal treatment I use Ospho.
Ospho Rust Treatment - Since 1947
Found at amazon and big box. Shop price. Good price for 1 gal is $25.  Can get gouged.
Note: follow Ppe when using. Fumes are nasty, stay up wind. I have brushed and sprayed. Even...

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #21
Try a body shop supply house and look for POR-15 paint,or if your area has a Eastwwod rust product store.

Reply #22
For metal treatment I use Ospho.
Ospho Rust Treatment - Since 1947
Found at amazon and big box. Shop price. Good price for 1 gal is $25.  Can get gouged.
Note: follow Ppe when using. Fumes are nasty,...

Reply #23
An overdue update:

Used a piece of 1.5" steel angle iron to sister the damaged floor support. One turned flat side up, one down on the opposite side. No reason for this except it made it easier to get the fasteners installed, and I was more...

Reply #24
We were unable to find a good match for the hardwood, so we pulled up the floors. This left the subfloor pretty chunky in places.

I got all the high spots down with a scraper, and used a self leveling product to smooth things out for a new pergo...