Skip to main content
Topic: What is behind the fiberglass? (Read 641 times) previous topic - next topic

What is behind the fiberglass?

OK, here goes. Up under my patio awning where the fiberglass goes under the awning flex key channel, what is behind the fiberglass?
Glass insulation? Foam insulation? The steel tubing?
If I drill a 1/2" diameter hole about 1/2" below the flex key channel for an electrical wire, what may I run into?
Remember, this is a 1989 coach. It does not have all the fancy stuff the newer coaches have, such as redundancy of wiring going from front to rear of the coach.
As a matter of fact, there isn't any 120V up front at all and very little elsewhere. Just the absolute minimum basics.
Nitehawk,  Demolition Lady, & our NEW master, Zippy the speeding BB cat.
1989 Grand Villa 36' ORED
Oshkosh chassis, 8.2 DD V8
2006 Saturn Vue AWD

Re: What is behind the fiberglass?

Reply #1
Norm,

Use a magnet to determine where the steel structure is.
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #2
Thanks, Brett.
Just got back from an eight day outing and need to add some lights.
Also, the toilet came loose and I know the original mounting flange from FOT is "kaput/broke/old/ineffective, so new mount is in order. Dometic has Universal floor mounting kit for around $24 on Amazon.
Water heater control valve took a dump also. Guess it doesn't like a wet bath from the drain petcock. New Atwood part #91605.
Pipe nipple and coupler in near future.
My nice neat ramps have gone mussy so I will make new set.
Golly gee, just can't seem to get bored these days when one has a 31 year old coach.

2006 Saturn Vue AWD

Reply #3
It's not a lot different with a 17 year old one Nitehawk. 
Rick & Rhonda
2003 U320 4220  Build #6199
Was
91 36' GV 300 Caterpillar, 92 40' U280 300 Cummins, 97 36' U295 300 Cummins, 2002
U320 450 Cummins
(Guess we're hooked)

The selected media item is not currently available.

Reply #4
Use a magnet to determine where the steel structure is.
Pick up one of these little magnetic stud finders at most hardware stores, Lowes, HD, etc.

Works great on any of the coach walls or storage compartment walls to locate the steel frame members.

1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #5
I found the perfect place to drill a hole thru from the outside into the interior.
On the passenger side, just 3/8" to the rear of the front vertical seam cover on our 1989 GV and about 1" down from the flex key channel.
I drilled a 5/16" diameter hole thru and the drilled hole comes out between the cockpit cabinet and the L.R. forward cabinet.
No aluminum, no steel, no insulation inhibited my drill.
In fact, the hole is just below the vinyl ceiling material that extends down behind the cabinets.
 ^.^d
2006 Saturn Vue AWD