Skip to main content
Topic: New Residential Fridge? (Read 1123 times) previous topic - next topic

New Residential Fridge?

So on our last trip, the SxS Dometic Fridge started to die.  We were only seeing temps of 50* on max cold setting.  Not real great for keeping things fresh, fortunately we have a basement fridge/freezer and it helped us limp by for the rest of the trip, although it appears to be struggling a little too, but that's another story.

My question is, has anyone installed the Samsung RS22? Samsung 22 cu ft Counter Depth side by side Refrigerator

My wife is not a big fan of the french door style as it makes finding things in the freezer less friendly, and I tend to agree.  David at FOT said it would fit in the space we have, but was hoping to see if someone had any success with one. 

It actually is a little shallower than the RF18 as it has no handles to protrude, which might be an added benefit.  We are hopping to make the swap soon as we will be using the bus again in a month or so, but its such a big change and expense, we don't want to make a mistake.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Dave

Re: New Residential Fridge?

Reply #1
Not a Samsung but over 22 cu. ft. works out fine
 reply #4

Samsung residential refrigerator 21.8 instead of 17.5
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #3
Should open to more than 90* as we have the slide out pantry to the left of the fridge/freezer.  only one drawer in the bottom of the left side freezer even if its difficult to remove.

Reply #4
Make sure the doors clear sliding door tracks etc and that they open far enough to get the drawers out when you need too. 

Based on measurements in the store, the SxS Samsung needs 9" clearance to the left to get the freezer drawers out.  we have 11" in our U320 layout.

Bad news is as of yesterday pre measurements we could take delivery of a new Refrigerator July 23rd, as of today once things were verified, delivery is pushed back to August 29th!  :(

Reply #5
Well its almost done....

FT has been working on the fridge replacement this week and it will be ready Monday for pickup after a bath.  Better pictures will hopefully follow soon!

Reply #6
Well we are currently sitting in FOT campground post picking up the coach from having the residential fridge instal completed.  I must say, this is a fantastic upgrade!  The side by side works perfectly!  No handles protruding is excellent.  The 36" fridge is such a huge improvement! I will soon have a norcold tek II with a slide out for sale as we will no longer need it.  Soooo much room!  Cant wait to fill it for our next trip!

***sorry for the orientation on photos, can't get the to flip correctly***

Reply #7
Will your inverter run this or are you just running your genset as you go down the road?

Reply #8
Residential refrigerators will run (better)  on modern pure sign wave inverters while driving. No need to run the generator.

Reply #9
We typically run the genset while traveling.  Its hot in Texas and the dash a/c just doesn't cut it.  And yes, the inverter will run the fridge if needed. 👍🏼

Reply #10
i switched to a samsung 18 cu ft. residential about 6 years ago.
it runs fine going down the road with my old modified wave inverter.

Reply #11
I just installed a new Magic Chef 10.1 cu ft residential.  I have ran it 3 ways 120VAC, modified sine wave, pure sine wave inverter.  Both inverters are 1000/2000 watt.  This is my results

Source            Watts          Amps/Starting          Amps/Running          Temp of compressor
  120VAC              67.2                  7-8                          .56                                130
    Modified        204                    8-9                        1.7                                  145
    Pure                  72                    8-9                          .58 - .60                        130

I think the modified sine wave inverter is a little harder on the unit, how much I am now sure.

Pat
Pat/Blue Angel
1995 U240 36ft
MC# 16511
Build# 4653