Skip to main content

Topic: Shocker hitch  (Read 327 times) previous topic - next topic

Shocker hitch
Well I went ahead and purchased the shocker hitch for my stacker trailer and plan to give it a full review and testing.  We haul vintage VWs all over to various shows.  My trailer is a 27' vintage stacker with a lift, full cabinets, loft area.  I...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.
  • Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 12:52:23 am by pressuresolutions

Re: Shocker hitch
Reply #1
Since we pulled a tri axle 24 foot trailer for 6 years when we full timed the first time, I might suggest you have your frame checked.  We had additional gussets installed in various places under the frame work of the coach.  A huge trailer place...

• Texhub
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
Least we forget brad had an issue with his towing last trip out to the dunes.  Remember his pickup tried to pass!

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
The tow hitch I have seen all have needed additional length going into the receiver hitch on the back of our coaches. I added at least 4 inches to my hitch to help prevent exactly what happened to Brad
Scott

Reply #4
I perform inspections of the area and welds on a regular basis and I never go over the allowed capacity of the allowed tow weight of the coach.

• Dub
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
Towing near max loads I would do that inspection every time I stopped until I had my unit tweaked. Then I would inspect every 3rd stop. The rigs are built to pull and stop. If there is a weak link it will be where they are coupled together.

Reply #6
The tow hitch I have seen all have needed additional length going into the receiver hitch on the back of our coaches. I added at least 4 inches to my hitch to help prevent exactly what happened to...

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
The additional length inserts deeper into the hitch and goes into a welded area supported by the hitch main support. This reduces loads on the reciever part of the hitch. Sticking out the back of the hitch

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
Sorry got pictures swapped in order

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #9
Now hitch is inserted five inches past my finger and load is not all on weld around the reciever tube (at finger location). Much more shear capacity

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #10
Now hitch is inserted five inches past my finger and load is not all on weld around the reciever tube (at finger location). Much more shear capacity

• OSIN
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #11
Well I went ahead and purchased the shocker hitch for my stacker trailer and plan to give it a full review and testing.  We haul vintage VWs all over to various shows.  My trailer is a...

Reply #12
I have two but neither are for sale.