Skip to main content
Topic: Shocker hitch  (Read 800 times) previous topic - next topic

Shocker hitch

Well I went ahead and purchased the shocker hitch for my stacker trailer and plan to give it a full review and testing.  We haul vintage VWs all over to various shows.  My trailer is a 27' vintage stacker with a lift, full cabinets, loft area.  I feel this will be a great benefit to towing it behind my motorhome.  I have read and talked to another individual that is also towing a stacker and using this very same setup he absolutely swears by it.  Anything that can make it better on my old gal I am all for it.
2003 U320 4220 42' Tag Axle
"Babe The Big Blue Ox"
Motorcade #18069
🤔Mark and Angela Bumgarner 😎

Re: Shocker hitch

Reply #1
Since we pulled a tri axle 24 foot trailer for 6 years when we full timed the first time, I might suggest you have your frame checked.  We had additional gussets installed in various places under the frame work of the coach.  A huge trailer place in Orlando did the work and we were very happy with results.  Had a friend that the whole under carriage broke loose on SOB coach, but got me thinking about what could happen with ours, as it was loaded!  Just a FYI!  I like your hitch set up, but we had a standard with a 5 foot tongue installed on the trailer, for easy backup!
Joe & Dottie Allen
Sold!  December 2023.      2000 U320; build # 5645
Our coach " Maxine"
Motorcade #  15922;  Escapee 150950; FMCA F330833; Boondockers Welcome;  Harvest Hosts;  Thousand Trails
'98 U320 from 2000-'06
USAF '62-'66

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." ―Epicurus

Reply #2
Least we forget brad had an issue with his towing last trip out to the dunes.  Remember his pickup tried to pass!
1999 U270 40 #5518
USN. USPS.

Reply #3
The tow hitch I have seen all have needed additional length going into the receiver hitch on the back of our coaches. I added at least 4 inches to my hitch to help prevent exactly what happened to Brad
Scott
Scott and Kim Davidson
If you're going to be dumb, you got to be tough.
DEGOIWKY
Don't ever get old, it will kill you
June 30, 2020
2001 U320 3610 Barn find
Build 5834

Reply #4
I perform inspections of the area and welds on a regular basis and I never go over the allowed capacity of the allowed tow weight of the coach.
2003 U320 4220 42' Tag Axle
"Babe The Big Blue Ox"
Motorcade #18069
🤔Mark and Angela Bumgarner 😎

Reply #5
Towing near max loads I would do that inspection every time I stopped until I had my unit tweaked. Then I would inspect every 3rd stop. The rigs are built to pull and stop. If there is a weak link it will be where they are coupled together.
Dub McBride 1996 270

Reply #6
The tow hitch I have seen all have needed additional length going into the receiver hitch on the back of our coaches. I added at least 4 inches to my hitch to help prevent exactly what happened to Brad
Scott
I'm not understanding this.  The added piece of tubing was added to the tow bar?  What is that extra length accomplishing without additional length of receiver tubing and pins on the RV side, braced or welded to different frame members?

Reply #7
The additional length inserts deeper into the hitch and goes into a welded area supported by the hitch main support. This reduces loads on the reciever part of the hitch. Sticking out the back of the hitch
Scott and Kim Davidson
DEGOIWKY
June 30, 2020
2001 U320 3610 Barn find
Build 5834

Reply #8
Sorry got pictures swapped in order
Scott and Kim Davidson
DEGOIWKY
June 30, 2020
2001 U320 3610 Barn find
Build 5834

Reply #9
Now hitch is inserted five inches past my finger and load is not all on weld around the reciever tube (at finger location). Much more shear capacity
Scott and Kim Davidson
DEGOIWKY
June 30, 2020
2001 U320 3610 Barn find
Build 5834

Reply #10
Now hitch is inserted five inches past my finger and load is not all on weld around the reciever tube (at finger location). Much more shear capacity
Scott and Kim Davidson
DEGOIWKY
June 30, 2020
2001 U320 3610 Barn find
Build 5834

Reply #11
Well I went ahead and purchased the shocker hitch for my stacker trailer and plan to give it a full review and testing.  We haul vintage VWs all over to various shows.  My trailer is a 27' vintage stacker with a lift, full cabinets, loft area.  I feel this will be a great benefit to towing it behind my motorhome.  I have read and talked to another individual that is also towing a stacker and using this very same setup he absolutely swears by it.  Anything that can make it better on my old gal I am all for it.
Good hitch! got any 68 Type 2's....Brother in law's looking
Prior 2003 U295  40ft  400Hp -Sold
2020 F350 Tremor - Sold
2021 Bundutec Roadrunner - Sold
2017 Airstream Classic - Sold that POS
2017 F250 - Sold
2019 Sprinter Van - Sold
2022 Winnebago Revel 4x4

Army Airborne Vet.

Reply #12
I have two but neither are for sale.