Skip to main content
Topic: Upgraded radio with color backup camera! (Read 516 times) previous topic - next topic

Upgraded radio with color backup camera!

Finally got around to doing an upgrade on our radio and installing a color back up camera.  As most of you know, with Foretravels, non seem to be the same when it comes to that back end wiring.  Had a few glitches, but with the help of Jor and Tim at RV cams, got er done.

On ours, I just cut off the old connector to the original camera and there are three wires that are visible inside the cable.  A white, red and black.  The red is the positive, the black is the negative and the white is the video.  When I ordered the new camera from Tim, it came with a connector that included a red and black wire and 2 RCA cables connectors, one white and one yellow.  The red and black wires are the positive and negative and the white RCA plug is for audio, which I did not use.  I cut the yellow RCA plug off and stripped the wire and connected it to the white video wire on the original cable that came with the OEM camera.  Around that wire is a wire shield that needs to be pulled away and twisted to add a ground wire from it to the ground that the OEM camera was using.  I simply made a jumper wire and made the connection.  Once this is done, you have a picture on the new radio 7 inch screen that has the selected camera option on it.  The radio took approximately 15 minutes to pull and slip another in it's place and hook up on external wire, which is the video cable to the new radio.  This is a single din radio called an Axxera, which is pretty decent quality for the $109 price tag.  The camera was $192 shipped to me and has led's for night vision as well.  It was a Voyager recommended by Tim.  Another reason for going with RVcams is they are available to answer and assist you through issues that may arise.  You won't get this with ebay and the like.  I hope this helps others who are thinking on tackling this project.  Pictures below on what I covered.  First photo is the maze of wires that I found with the old camera!  #2 is the OEM cable with cut off end and exposing the 3 wires inside.  #3 is the new radio with camera working. 
Joe & Dottie Allen
Sold!  December 2023.      2000 U320; build # 5645
Our coach " Maxine"
Motorcade #  15922;  Escapee 150950; FMCA F330833; Boondockers Welcome;  Harvest Hosts;  Thousand Trails
'98 U320 from 2000-'06
USAF '62-'66

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." ―Epicurus

Re: Upgraded radio with color backup camera!

Reply #1
Having trouble with the internet connection here, so not all the photos up loaded yet.  Will try later on and see if I can get it done.  May have to run a new video line up to the front for a better quality, but compared to what I had, this will work for the time being.
Joe & Dottie Allen
Sold!  December 2023.      2000 U320; build # 5645
Our coach " Maxine"
Motorcade #  15922;  Escapee 150950; FMCA F330833; Boondockers Welcome;  Harvest Hosts;  Thousand Trails
'98 U320 from 2000-'06
USAF '62-'66

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." ―Epicurus