Skip to main content

Topic: Replacement Sine Wave Inverter (Read 366 times) previous topic - next topic

Replacement Sine Wave Inverter
After 27 years of good service, I decided to retire the OEM Taytronics Inverter. It just used way too much juice at idle and since it was not sine wave, the microwave was slow. As soon as I switched it on, the house battery's voltage dropped. 

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Replacement Sine Wave Inverter
Reply #1
Pierce, if I remember correctly you did not go the residential fridge route?  I'm installing a residential fridge in January and will be adding a small inverter just for the fridge. I wonder if this one would work....hard to beat that price.

Our...

Reply #2
Starting loads on a Samsung refrigerator can be as high as 6 amp, about 720 watts.  Normal running loads are 140 watts. More if younare making ice. The description on this inverter makes me wonder how well it would work.  We have a 1200 VA...

Reply #3
Roger,

The Edecoa will start up a couple of your Samsungs at the same time. 6 amps, 730 watts is nothing. It will start window AC units without a problem. The U300 microwave also. Starts two Senco compressors at exactly the same time pulling 850...

Reply #4
The conventional inverters run internal transformers.  Not electronically generated.  Medium sized for some brands, larger for others.  Some conventional designs have single cooling fans.  Some double.

The electronic ones I assume just derate if...

Reply #5
Bob is correct, some inverters have transformers, some don't. Going by the weight of the 1500 watt Edecoa of 3.35 kg - 7.4 lbs, this is a pulse width modulation (PWM) sine wave inverter with no transformer. Nothing wrong with that.

But- a few...

Reply #6
Peter,

It will start a window AC but I think I would need the 3500 watt version. We don't have enough watts on the roof to run an AC no matter how big the inverter is. It does run the  microwave over twice as fast and a Mr. Coffee latte maker so...

Reply #7
Plus I am willing to buy American and pay more.  No problem
A lot of us would but most things are outsourced as the cost of labor is so much less. It's hard to find very much made in the U.S....

Reply #8
I'm the weird one,  I will put my money where my mouth is. 

As Mr Fore told me. "Bob my customers are Americans so I buy American where I can."

The "where I can" is a major part of this. 

The switch back will take time if possible at all.

Never in...

Reply #9
I will post an oscilloscope image for both inverters while under load in a few days if anyone would like to see how clean it is.

That would be interesting. I put a scope on the...

Reply #10
I am using Home Depot and this refrig 

I called Magic Chef Customer Support about running the unit on an inverter.  The docs say don't do it.  The support person said that the unit is not built or tested for operation on an inverter.  The problem...

Reply #11
All inverters must have transformers in them.  You use a 60 Hz DC chopper to create a DC square wave  to run thru a transformer.  You can use a transformer to transform 12 VDC square wave into...

Reply #12
That would be interesting. I put a scope on the Roadtrek 3000 watt transformer based inverter. At idle the sine wave was perfect. Medium loads - minor flat-topping. At high loads over 2000 watts...

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #13
We have been using a 1000w ps inverter for 8 yrs with the res fridge and not one issue. It also powers tv and stereo stuff.
No problems and it came from China.
Johnh