Skip to main content
Topic: How to Remove Valance over Dashboard (Read 581 times) previous topic - next topic

How to Remove Valance over Dashboard

We want to remove and re-cover the valance hanging underneath the cabinets above the driver. See picture below. I removed the six screws accessible from behind the valance, but the thing is still rocksolid in place. I can't find the screws that come down from the top, from inside the cabinets,So I'm wondering what else is holding it up.

I'm sure I may be missing something simple but look forward to hearing from the group.
Randy (N4TDT) and Karen Crete
Sarasota, Florida
2000 U270 34' WTFE Build 5756 "Ole Red"
Follow Us: Login • Instagram  Camping for the Rest of Life – It does not matter how slowly you go so long you don't stop

Re: How to Remove Valance over Dashboard

Reply #1
I couldn't figure out how to get mine off either.  I ended up making a 1/2" cherry cover that was about 1/2" taller from top to bottom and putting it over the existing valance.  Screwed it on from the backside.  Would also work with a new substrate and then cover that with the fabric of choice.  Might be easier than getting the old one out.  It was for me.

Note: I was unable to do it as a single piece and did it with two pieces.  Covered the seam in the middle with a custom name plate laser etched in a piece of cherry.  Now I mount my VMSpc tablet there to cover the seam.

Rich
Rich and Peggy Bowman
2002 U270 3610 WTFS, build #5939--"Freedom"
2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4xe
SMI AirForceOne brake system
PakCanoe 15

Reply #2
There is a false bottom in the overhead cabinets.  Maybe the screws are under that?
Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
no longer 1999 36' U320 build #5522
2013 Rzr 570 & 2018 Ranger XP1000
2006 Lexus GX470
2011 Tahoe LT 4x4
Previous 1998 45' 2 slide Newell, 1993 39' Newell

Reply #3
Randy,

I am not at my coach right now so I cannot look at my valance, so I'm not sure.  I think that it may be 20 years welded in place that has the vinyl stuck solid.  Have you tried to slide a putty knife or (non-sharp) dinner knife between the valance and the overhead or sides?  That would be my next step. 

Richard
Jan & Richard Witt
1999 U-320  36ft WTFE
Build Number: 5478 Motorcade: 16599
2008 Roadtrek Adventurous RS Sprinter
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Jan: NO5U, Richard:KA5RIW
The selected media item is not currently available.

Reply #4
I took mine off and recovered it in ultraleather. Can't remember exactly what to do but it's sandwiched between the overhead cabinets and the frame. You have to almost remove the screws that hold the upper cabinets in place. There are also the two side supports. In the end it wasn't hard. But I was redoing the entire front. So had alot off.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
1500 Watts Solar 600 amp Victron lithium
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #5
There are screw in your tv cabinet attached to the valance.
John M.
John & Carm Morales

"We travel not to go anywhere, but to just go.  We travel for travel's sake.  Our great desire is to move."