Skip to main content
Topic: Progress on New Floor (Read 764 times) previous topic - next topic

Progress on New Floor

We are hip deep into our renovation efforts and just about got the floor knocked out over the weekend. Cut and fit...cut and fit...make some more cuts and fit.
Craig & Jackie
1993 36ft Grand Villa
Unihome U-240 CAT 3116

Re: Progress on New Floor

Reply #1
Floating or glue down?

What product?
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #2
Floating with 1/4" exp space all around yet to be trimmed out with shoe molding
Craig & Jackie
1993 36ft Grand Villa
Unihome U-240 CAT 3116

Reply #3
Smartcore Ultra in Blue Ridge Pine
Craig & Jackie
1993 36ft Grand Villa
Unihome U-240 CAT 3116

Reply #4
So Brett what would you prefer, float or glue? We have just finished ripping carpet out and actually purchased vinyl this afternoon. Ended going with glue down, but have only ever installed floating prior.
Scott
Scott and Kim Davidson
If you're going to be dumb, you got to be tough.
DEGOIWKY
Don't ever get old, it will kill you
June 30, 2020
2001 U320 3610 Barn find
Build 5834

Reply #5
Thanks Craig, now my wife wants  to change Again!
Scott
Looks real good to me (yours)
Scott and Kim Davidson
If you're going to be dumb, you got to be tough.
DEGOIWKY
Don't ever get old, it will kill you
June 30, 2020
2001 U320 3610 Barn find
Build 5834

Reply #6
So Brett what would you prefer, float or glue? We have just finished ripping carpet out and actually purchased vinyl this afternoon. Ended going with glue down, but have only ever installed floating prior.
Scott

With no slide, no strong feelings either way.  Dianne and I have personally done one of each.
Brett Wolfe

Reply #7
Thanks Scott!!  Like Bret said....I found that with no slide the float or glue was a Ford or Chevy question when I used this forum to do some research ahead of the installation
Craig & Jackie
1993 36ft Grand Villa
Unihome U-240 CAT 3116

Reply #8
Scott

Floating always seems like it's too easy, gotta be a catch.  But with these kind of endorsements why go with glue, the mess, the difficulty in removing floor if necessary etc.?
"Not so  long ago we were a nation of risk takers, riding five million pounds of  thrust straight into space."  Joe Gresh
Chuck Pearson
1996 U295
2018 Can Am X3 TurboRS

Reply #9
Floating always seems like it's too easy, gotta be a catch.  But with these kind of endorsements why go with glue, the mess, the difficulty in removing floor if necessary etc.?

On the floating floor Dianne and I did, probably 1/3 of the time was the molding-- 100' of molding, stain it, cut it (lots of cuts), then carefully glue molding with construction adhesive to wall ONLY so that floor could expand/contract.

And, a number of the floating floors you will see that are buckled or seams pulling apart are due to poor installation and/or poor quality flooring.

All in all, about a wash time wise with glue down.
Brett Wolfe

Reply #10
We've installed Karndean loose lay tile in two rigs. It's a little pricey but is a good product. Two of the photos show the top and bottom of one of the tiles and the other two show it in place in different rigs.
Karndean
jor

Reply #11
Yes with the floating floor the devil is in the details.  An expansion gap at all hard edges and trim to cover it.  I am planning on using a thin sheet of metal under my chair brackets to insure the floor isn't captured under the mounting plates.  This would not be required in the glue down scenario.  I am in the trim phase and foresee a lot of little bits and pieces that need to go in.
I like that dark grey tile Jor.
Craig & Jackie
1993 36ft Grand Villa
Unihome U-240 CAT 3116

Reply #12
We have Juncker's 7/8" thick solid white oak plank flooring in our house, about 2,000 sq ft.  It is an all floating install above an in-floor heated lightweight concrete sub floor. The wood flooring is continuous from one end if the house to the other and from mid summer to mid winter, no heat to heat, higher humidity to lower humidity the floor changes dimension by about 1-1/4".  All carefully hidden under the baseboards and trim.

Follow the manufacturer's recommendations for installation of your floor of choice.  Your flooring in the coach may see a wider temperature range than in a home and may see more localized heating from direct sunlight. We did a glue down floor in our coach.

Reply #13
.  I am planning on using a thin sheet of metal under my chair brackets to insure the floor isn't captured under the mounting plates. 

Yes, I cut and drilled steel plate to go under chairs,  mounted on the floor.  One would not see it, but you could slide a piece of cardboard between the seat base and new flooring.

And, on cabinet behind passenger's seat, used plywood to do the same, allowing the flooring to "slide" under the cabinet.

Again, devil IS in the detail!  To do it right takes almost 2X the time to "slap it in".
Brett Wolfe