Skip to main content

Topic: Roof questions  (Read 262 times) previous topic - next topic

Roof questions
I have been reading past threads about roofs and repairing cracks but am still uncertain about the best coarse of action. The roof is still water tight- had a heavy downpour yesterday and no evidence of leaks. I went up on the roof to check the...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: Roof questions
Reply #1
John Morales will probably answer,he just had some roof work done.

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
The gel coat has been known to bubble up with the thin fglass coating if water has got thru the top layer. My suggestion is to give the roof a really good clean with Bartenders powder, all over, and the radius edges too. This will show up what...

Reply #3
Thanks for the helpful insights.  Do I use a really fine grit sandpaper to grind it down? And does it need to be done by hand or can a sander be used? Do you recommend using the Barkeepers Friend Cleanser with a sponge or rag or something with...

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
I use an angle grinder very carefully.
Barkeepers friend with a scrub brush or those scrub pads
 It works great.
Use a sponge to clean it up and rinse a couple of times
Johnh

Reply #5
Thanks so much.... will give it a go; however it's going to have to wait a few days due to other must do's. Thanks again!

Reply #6
I had my Traveler dish removed and fiberglass roof filled with color matched gel coat. Pretty happy. Cost $400.00 and they also spot repaired some other spots I noticed while I watched. Attached are some photos of the work. Just another option.

Reply #7
As we just posted in the last week we had our 20 year old roof resurfaced at Xtreme in Nacogdoches. With time the original gel coat will begin to chalk. We, too had many thru roof holes patched with dicor previously. With regular annual checks...

Reply #8
Walt,
Thanks for sharing- did you use a mobile tech or did you go to a shop?  Appreciate you sharing the cost.

Randy,
Thanks for sharing your experience- did you have to wait long for your appointment?  Thanks!